Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How many tanks for 8 man ops?

DustomaticGXC
01.30.2012 , 11:26 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Malpracticex View Post
i think it all depends on the fight too. sometimes you'll need 1 tank in each group only. sometimes you'll need a main tank and off tank for the adds. it all depends on the fight.
Rofl? I love how this guy, who obviously doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, gives this vague, useless answer. Then the guy right after him completely (and correctly) contradicts him.
Don't act like you didn't see this coming.

thorizdin
01.30.2012 , 11:31 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Eroex View Post
1. not needed
2. not needed just kite them
3. only on nightmare (maybe)
4. not needed easily healable the boss doesn't do enough damage to the tank to warrant it.
I didn't read his post as saying you needed a second tank, just that it useful to have someone who wouldn't instantly splatter be able and ready to grab aggro for a few seconds.

Eroex
01.30.2012 , 11:35 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by thorizdin View Post
I didn't read his post as saying you needed a second tank, just that it useful to have someone who wouldn't instantly splatter be able and ready to grab aggro for a few seconds.
I read it that way also, any one can do the task, it doesnt matter if its a powertech or a sniper, healer or DPS. Every class has a defensive cooldown, even then nothing in those fights do enough damage that it should matter that much.

Lyynk
01.30.2012 , 11:38 AM | #14
Well I'm not sure what one of the guys in here was talking about not needing a 2nd person that can hold aggro and take some hits...

My guild has cleared 5/5 KP Nightmare and we are currently 4/5 EV Nightmare. We run 1 MT and we have a DPS Powertech. Most fights only need 1 tank, but currently the fights in the game where it is advisable to have 2 tanks (or our setup with 1 real tank and 1 tank-type class in a DPS spec) are...

Jarg and Sorno Nightmare
- I don't know if I would even try this without 2 tanks.

EV Puzzle
- Probably doable without 2 tanks, but it makes it a heck of a lot easier.

G4-B3
- If you have a lot of ranged dps and can afford to put both of your healers on the ground, then you may be able to do this with one tank. But, healing becomes unmanageable at a 10 stack of armor debuff single healing the bottom, which is how my guild does it (I heal the bottom).

DefMike
01.30.2012 , 11:39 AM | #15
You could do 8m Ops w/ only 1 tank. No doubt.

But we do it w/ 2 tanks. One is just designated a off-tank and helps w/ all the little things having 2 tanks makes easier (as listed in this thread). For us, having an off-tank has helped significantly more than extra dps.

thorizdin
01.30.2012 , 11:43 AM | #16
Its true that everyone has a defense skill, but having someone with a taunt and decent survivability is what I was getting at. Not only are there specific pieces that are much easier with this setup (and the DPS drop is minimal to non-existent) but there are lots of bugs that can put everyone's time at risk.

wifeaggro
01.30.2012 , 11:45 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Eroex View Post
There is zero reason to do so, the DPS loss isn't worth it at all.

In P3 avoid the balls while the boss is damageable, after hes immune, break the lightning balls with the people targeted, then get back on the mind traps.

~10k damage to each person is easily healable

1. not needed
2. not needed just kite them
3. only on nightmare (maybe)
4. not needed easily healable the boss doesn't do enough damage to the tank to warrant it.
There is zero Combat logs to even begin to make such a statement, and i personally think all the easy kills we raiders are getting are going to be nerfed i suspect bioware using alot more spike damage then enrage timers in the near future
I

Arngrim
01.30.2012 , 12:02 PM | #18
Well I currently play a vanguard and have fallen in love with assault spec. So maybe I can see if I can dps and switch to ion cell if needed on some fights.

Eroex
01.30.2012 , 12:03 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by wifeaggro View Post
There is zero Combat logs to even begin to make such a statement, and i personally think all the easy kills we raiders are getting are going to be nerfed i suspect bioware using alot more spike damage then enrage timers in the near future
How so?

My healers and tank tell me that the damage is easily healable. Tanks clearly do far less DPS than DPS do if they did about the same they wouldn't lose aggro and wouldn't need modifiers on their tanking abilities. Probably wouldn't need DPS players for that matter.

So why do I need a combat log to know that my tank isn't in danger and know that Tanks do far less damage than DPS? Even in Tionese, Columi, and worse gear we had no issues.

Maybe my healers are that good but I doubt that is the case(they are good but better than every one on the planet? no). I think the content is that easy.

I guess you could indeed make the fight harder on yourself for no reason and do it with a second tank, I didn't say you cant do the fight because you wont have the DPS to do it with a second tank.

NicholaiJS
01.30.2012 , 12:07 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by wifeaggro View Post
Statement: You don't need combat logs to read a 4.5k and a 5.5k above your head, or look at your bar and go "o hey! I lost 10k hp by sprinting through the ball (provided you're not bad and only took a single tick). Also 10k dmg on people is easily healed through, especially in phase 3.

Disagreement: You have no idea what Bioware is going to do from now on. Enrage timers are simple, cheap, and people don't complain too much about them existing, just "blah blah enrage timer too short werez meh fre epix!"

Mockery: Now that I think about it, I think bioware could find a way to bug an enrage timer out.
I talk a bit like HK47 because people are dumb.