Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No need for an army if you got a navy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
No need for an army if you got a navy?

VanorDM
01.31.2012 , 11:28 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tawkis View Post
If you haven'y read it before, I highly recommend you read Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.
One of my favorite novels ever. Even had the board game from SSI.

Here's one of the quotes you were thinking of...

Quote:
War is not violence and killing, pure and simple; war is controlled violence, for a purpose. The purpose of war is to support your government's decisions by force. The purpose is never to kill the enemy just to be killing him but to make him do what you want him to do. Not killing... but controlled and purposeful violence.

- Sgt. Zim

Kabluey
01.31.2012 , 12:19 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronze_Elemental View Post
The British controlled 2/3rds of the world's people with only a tiny land based army thanks to their navy
Controlled, yes, but not conquered. The British used a number of tactics to achieve that control. Take India as a good example. They took advantage of internal divisions within this huge land mass to eventually take control, but even then an army was required and it took a long, long time. It's been many years since I took my class on South Asian history, so I don't remember specific dates, but British control over India was a long process lasting a century, not just them bombing a few coastal cities and then walking to Delhi and saying, "We win!"

So in taking a planet, if you had internal divisions you could exploit, say such as with Earth, then a small army might be enough. But if one assumes a unified planet such as one typically finds in Star Wars (as in most sci-fi), then you either need an army or you settle for obliterating the planet, as others have pointed out.

DarkMorlin
01.31.2012 , 03:55 PM | #23
Planetary shields? LOL We have a planetary shield, called an atmosphere which renders laser/beam bombardment nearly useless. The atmosphere will absorb most of a direct energy attack rendering beam weapons nearly useless. Any weapon you can mount on a ship can easily and more economically be built 25 times more powerful on land....

But mass drivers? Mass drivers use a planetary gravity well against itself. Maybe 10% of laser power penetrates atmo, but 10,000,000 percent of asteroid bombardment impacts the planet.

Force = Speed X Mass....so a chunk of iron the size of a star destroyer moving at say, .1 c would equal.....instant planetary annihilation.

The energy required to deflect such destructive force is impossible to achieve. It would be like trying to deflect a ground zero atomic bomb with a wooden shield.

Your only chance would be to alter the incoming trajectory of the mass long before planetary intersection. Hence, space superiority = you own the planet.

Ilsildor
01.31.2012 , 04:11 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by WolfOfOdin View Post
That and ruling a galaxy of smoking husks wouldn't be that impressive.
But according to MOO its a win!

Bronze_Elemental
01.31.2012 , 04:28 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkMorlin View Post
Planetary shields? LOL We have a planetary shield, called an atmosphere which renders laser/beam bombardment nearly useless. The atmosphere will absorb most of a direct energy attack rendering beam weapons nearly useless. Any weapon you can mount on a ship can easily and more economically be built 25 times more powerful on land....

But mass drivers? Mass drivers use a planetary gravity well against itself. Maybe 10% of laser power penetrates atmo, but 10,000,000 percent of asteroid bombardment impacts the planet.

Force = Speed X Mass....so a chunk of iron the size of a star destroyer moving at say, .1 c would equal.....instant planetary annihilation.

The energy required to deflect such destructive force is impossible to achieve. It would be like trying to deflect a ground zero atomic bomb with a wooden shield.

Your only chance would be to alter the incoming trajectory of the mass long before planetary intersection. Hence, space superiority = you own the planet.
10, 000, 000 percent you say?

Tawkis
02.03.2012 , 06:06 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
One of my favorite novels ever. Even had the board game from SSI.

Here's one of the quotes you were thinking of...
Yes, thanks!