Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Karen Traviss

Artein
01.30.2012 , 08:12 AM | #1
So I recently ordered the first novel from the Republic Commando series (Hard Contact I believe is the title). This is my first Star Wars novel ever. I've played many games, read some comics, watched movies and cartoons but never read a SW novel before.

So yeah, I want to hear different opinions. I've read that she's horribly bad, but also some people really like her books. I'd love to hear some constructive discussion. Should I expect something really bad? Something just fine? Something good? Something awesome?
War is simply the galaxy's hygiene.

Wolfninjajedi
01.30.2012 , 08:13 AM | #2
From what I heard the RC series is good, everything after that by Karen is bad.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

SeraphRhane
01.30.2012 , 08:24 AM | #3
Oh God,

Too much to talk about, but I think she quit writing SW due to fan rage based on her negative portrayal of Jedi and love for anything Mandalorian.

Hard Contact and the subsequent Republic Commando books are supposed to be good, I only read the first 2 though...
You fight like a dairy farmer!

Kedan
01.30.2012 , 08:27 AM | #4
Her first two RC books are ok. Worth a read.

You can skip everything else she has written or will ever write.

Artein
01.30.2012 , 08:28 AM | #5
From what I've read she quit because of how they ***** Mandalorian lore in The Clone Wars cartoon series.

edit: Seriously, they're censoring "a sexual intercourse where one person is forced against his/her will to do this"?
War is simply the galaxy's hygiene.

WolfOfOdin
01.30.2012 , 09:13 AM | #6
Well.....

The Republic Commando books were good, I'll give her that.

The problem is that eventually the books turned into a tug-of-war between Traviss and the other writers on which faction was more super kewl leet.

At one point, her Mandos had lightsaber immune armor and were completely immune to the Force when they wanted to be.

They were also portrayed as simply being absolutely perfect, that the Mandos were the absolute epitome of everything. They were the best warriors, pilots, commanders and even farmers.

Jmannseelo
01.30.2012 , 10:32 AM | #7
I really enjoy Traviss' work. Especially her contributions to the Legacy of the Force series.

That said, I don't have a problem with TCW forging their own path with the Mandalorians. That's just the way it often goes with EU, and I enjoy both interpretations equally.

PeepsMcJuggs
01.30.2012 , 11:27 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by WolfOfOdin View Post
Well.....

The Republic Commando books were good, I'll give her that.

The problem is that eventually the books turned into a tug-of-war between Traviss and the other writers on which faction was more super kewl leet.

At one point, her Mandos had lightsaber immune armor and were completely immune to the Force when they wanted to be.

They were also portrayed as simply being absolutely perfect, that the Mandos were the absolute epitome of everything. They were the best warriors, pilots, commanders and even farmers.
This pretty much sums it up. When she was only vaguely familiar with the material, she made some good work out of the Republic Commando series. Then she decided to make them obnoxiously overpowered. Her LotF contributions read like fanfic, with superstrong armor, new special metals and amazing new, all-powerful spacecraft using an ultra-rare, much coveted ore found only on their planet that had never been cited anywhere before in the history of the EU.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

JaxinRiens
01.30.2012 , 12:27 PM | #9
Basically, she latched onto boba's swoop and rode it till it died permanently so to speak.

The fact that she takes a war hero like jaina and turns her into a weakling so she can stroke her own "fandolorian" ego pretty much sums it up.

If i need to defeat an extremely strong force user who do i go to a geriatric boba fett or Luke Skywalker, who by the way has already defeated this force user before.
Jaexin Riens :: Drakenus::Jahne Riens::Caenen Riens:: Naekino Riens::Kadall::Reyla::Saedes
"Those without power seek to gain it, those with power seek to exploit it,those without want of power are dead." Darth Maladus

WolfOfOdin
01.30.2012 , 01:29 PM | #10
I forgot to mention that Traviss was notoriously....protective of her work, to the point of publicly and viciously lashing out at anyone who critiqued her.

If you want to read some good SW books that aren't too reliant on Force Users being kickass, I recommend Timothy Zahn's work. He manages to make normal folk interesting without going too hard on making them living gods.