Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

TOR and Steam

ShadowWarWulf
12.15.2011 , 03:35 AM | #1
I have a simple question, I checked through the TOS, and couldn't find anything in it that spoke directly against it, but is linking TOR to steam is alright? Also, has anyone tested it, and do they actually work together?

ShadowWarWulf
12.15.2011 , 08:44 AM | #2
Anyone aware? Anyone?

ponkodonko
12.15.2011 , 08:49 AM | #3
it worked with wow, so i guess it will work with SW:TOR

Zimsolo
12.15.2011 , 08:53 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowWarWulf View Post
I have a simple question, I checked through the TOS, and couldn't find anything in it that spoke directly against it, but is linking TOR to steam is alright? Also, has anyone tested it, and do they actually work together?
Hey, this is probably a stupid question for many of you, but for those of us who don't really know - What's the benefit of that? Does steam do something for you by linking it? I honestly just thought that things like Steam and Origin were just another way to centralize games and get us to buy more. This way they know what kind of games we like, have, etc and can market similar ones to us.

Is there anything more to it than that?

Maarkus
12.15.2011 , 08:56 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Zimsolo View Post
Hey, this is probably a stupid question for many of you, but for those of us who don't really know - What's the benefit of that? Does steam do something for you by linking it? I honestly just thought that things like Steam and Origin were just another way to centralize games and get us to buy more. This way they know what kind of games we like, have, etc and can market similar ones to us.

Is there anything more to it than that?
Good question, I'd be interested to know if there's any gain other than having it in the Library. I don't normally add 'outside' games to Steam but if there is an additional benefit of doing so it'd be worth the effort.
7/21

ponkodonko
12.15.2011 , 10:57 AM | #6
the benefit is that you can hold down shift+tab to bring up the steam interface with friends and all

Areoss
12.15.2011 , 11:00 AM | #7
communication with friends is the reason I would want this. I use the steam friends chat more than any other IM now for this reason that it can be used in game. This would be greatly helpful.
[▀!▀(Θ)▀!▀]Ξ▀!!▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)
True PvP Skills

Takkuso
12.15.2011 , 11:05 AM | #8
That doesn't break any rules since you're not gaining any advantage over other players (like a bot would, etc). It is possible - add as a non-steam game. The overlay works well and has no problems.
(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀∠ịị‾ịị◚◚◚◚◚◚ịịδ‾ịị7▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

EpicForce
12.15.2011 , 11:05 AM | #9
I link all my non-Steam games in Steam so all my friends can see what I am playing. Many of my friends on Steam have purchased SWTOR, so this way they can see that I am playing and possibly join me.

I also like using the shift-tab functionality to be able to chat and such. However, shift-tab is not working in SWTOR. I think SWTOR may not be compatible with the overlay screen that Steam uses. Has anyone else gotten shift-tab to work in SWTOR?

ThomasKasene
12.15.2011 , 11:32 AM | #10
I would also very much like to know this. Which executable am I supposed to add as the non-Steam game? The launcher.exe or the swtor.exe?
Shot first, I did, yes!