Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Don't bother doing 16s over 8s

DefMike
01.30.2012 , 01:22 AM | #1
LOOT: 8s = 16s

DIFFICULTY: 8s < 16s

In fact . . .

DIFFICULTY (including trash): Hardmode 8s < Regular 16s
however . . . LOOT: Hardmode 8s > regular 16s

So why in the world bother . . .

Lyandria
01.30.2012 , 04:06 AM | #2
for gearing up - not worth it true - for progress after you beat all the 8 ppl content heall yaeh

Silberfalke
01.30.2012 , 04:14 AM | #3
Don`t worry. There is almost nobody who bothers.
Love is the greatest power in the universe.

Iwipe
01.30.2012 , 05:33 AM | #4
Exactly, why waste your time doing 16 when you can do 8 in half the time/frustration and get the same loot.

Whatsalightsaver
01.30.2012 , 06:20 AM | #5
It's kinda the same in WoW. In Cata, when they made 10s and 25s drop the same ilevel gear, all but the most elite 25 man guilds moved to 10s. 25 raids have mostly died out. Getting more loot is often not worth the headache of organizing and getting 25 people to come on at the same time, much less work together.

Doesn't really bother me though, I've always preferred 10s. I feel in 10s you get to know everyone really well and generally have more fun. It's a smaller group so it's a closer group and I enjoy that social aspect. I feel in 25s every member was just a face in the crowd and that took out one of the elements I need to have fun. I need the raid to be blisteringly hard, but I also need to enjoy the company. I'll leave a raid that doesn't have both competency AND community.

Some people really dislike 25s (or in this sense 16s) being marginalized though, and I understand their complaints. 25s/16s ARE *usually* harder, and thus have a bit more prestige, but it's more to do with having to come up with 25/16 competent people over 10/8 competent people. My experience with 25s is more people get carried, and once you hit Heroic modes you can no longer do so and you stall.
My other Jedi Consular is a panda.

Sayoko
01.30.2012 , 06:37 AM | #6
You see some guilds are made up of a community of people who have been playing together quite long and just happen to be more than 8 people:P. So naturally we dont do 2x8mans (and generate in-guild competiton and other problems) but go 16man.

And having a bigger challenge and harder fights even for the same rewards isnt neccessarily bad. Some people enjoy challenges more than just free loot. And 16man raiding still is a small enough scale to get to know your raidmembers well enough. Not that its needed if uve been playing with most of them for almost a decade:P

In general i dont really have a problem with how 16man handles, compared to 8man its harder but not that much harder considering that 8man hard mode is merely what a "normal" raid in wow is like. But thats to be expected since all current raid content should be considered as entrance lvl raiding. And Bioware could hardly have made "Heroic"-Mode WoW-Raidexp. a requirement to beat the first raid content int SW:ToR. Dont forget there are alot of players who are new to mmo´s in this game, and not every WoW player did raid either.

Whatsalightsaver
01.30.2012 , 07:04 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sayoko View Post
And having a bigger challenge and harder fights even for the same rewards isnt neccessarily bad. Some people enjoy challenges more than just free loot. And 16man raiding still is a small enough scale to get to know your raidmembers well enough. Not that its needed if uve been playing with most of them for almost a decade:P
Oh absolutely. Gear is almost a non issue to me. Heroic modes, for me, were always about the achievement and the challenge. Gear was always the least important part of the equation to me. That's not to say it was totally pointless to me either though. There's not as much sense of progression if your dps/hps doesn't escalate, and it hits a wall until you get better gear. Getting that helm I needed was never as big of a thrill as downing a new boss though.

And I agree, 16 members if more manageable than 25. Still, the less people I have to carry, the more fun I'm having. My WoW guild wasn't able to down H Ragnaros in T12 and it frustrated me to no end. I was so pissed at my guildmates xD Even in 10 we were carrying far too many people and H Rag was one of those bosses where you couldn't carry anyone. The Lock was horrible and needed a brez almost every other pull, the Pally healer stood in so much fire I could barely believe it, and I was constantly beating the Arcane Mage...with the Legendary...in dps. /facepalm. We got Rag to 12% in Phase 4 (you know, after he goes back up to 50%), but couldn't quite pull it off before Dragon Soul. It's the worst feeling in the world to know *you're* capable of doing something but the people around you aren't, and there's nothing you can do about it.

TL/DR, the less failure I'm surrounded by, the better :P I'll stick to smaller raids unless I'm sure the other 8 people can handle themselves.

Sayoko
01.30.2012 , 07:30 AM | #8
Well no bigger success than beating a tough boss with a bunch of scrubs?:>

Whatsalightsaver
01.30.2012 , 07:39 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sayoko View Post
Well no bigger success than beating a tough boss with a bunch of scrubs?:>
Lol I wish it was that simple :P Most bosses are tuned so you can carry 1, maybe 2 people. But H Rag..no...H Rag was mean.

DefMike
01.30.2012 , 07:50 AM | #10
I guess it just depends on your guild size.

Right now I think a 16m group is perfect for my guild. 25m would be too many to organize, but 8s just seem like not enough slots.

So looking like we will do multiple 8s each week.

What I DON'T want to happen is for our group to become fragmented into cliques. Where only certain people group w/ other certain people.

I can't believe at one time we used to do 40s in WoW . . .