Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is my SWTOR launcher exe trying to contact University of New Hampsire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is my SWTOR launcher exe trying to contact University of New Hampsire?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Carazon
01.29.2012 , 07:03 PM | #1
Why is my SWTOR launcher exe trying to contact University of New Hampshire?

University of New Hampshire 132.177.123.13:3478

Epixxxx
01.29.2012 , 07:08 PM | #2
It wants to go back,

Way home on the range.

Moriam
01.29.2012 , 07:10 PM | #3
No idea but I keep it blocked though.

Carazon
01.30.2012 , 11:32 AM | #4
I have it blocked as well, and it will stay blocked till I get a response as to why.

Urko
01.30.2012 , 11:35 AM | #5
You sure its not a disguised trojan ?
Well done Patch 1.2, lots of additions that i was looking for.

Carazon
01.30.2012 , 11:54 AM | #6
It is with out question in the launcher, and all scans come back clean...

JovethGonzalez
02.01.2012 , 06:08 PM | #7 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone,

Due to the odd nature of this issue, one of our developers has asked us to post this on his behalf in order to clarify what is happening:

The network call in question is from a 3rd party library we use as part of our launching system. The call is intended to optimize the performance of a P2P feature of this library which we do not use and do not intend to use. Note that the call is to a public stun protocol server which is, in fact, hosted by the University of New Hampshire. A future update to our launcher will disable this completely.

We hope that answers your question!

Gilbara
02.01.2012 , 06:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hey everyone,

Due to the odd nature of this issue, one of our developers has asked us to post this on his behalf in order to clarify what is happening:

The network call in question is from a 3rd party library we use as part of our launching system. The call is intended to optimize the performance of a P2P feature of this library which we do not use and do not intend to use. Note that the call is to a public stun protocol server which is, in fact, hosted by the University of New Hampshire. A future update to our launcher will disable this completely.

We hope that answers your question!
the game is sending our information to some unknown group that has a server at this university?

so its just as likely this is actually being used to secretly send end-user info to a undisclosed third party source?

it may just be some p2p mistake, but um, I don't tend to just believe everything I am told. if this player hadn't found out about it we would not even have been told by this dev that they are giving our info to some unknown entity.

i don't like this at all

MrTijger
02.01.2012 , 06:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilbara View Post
the game is sending our information to some unknown group that has a server at this university?

so its just as likely this is actually being used to secretly send end-user info to a undisclosed third party source?

it may just be some p2p mistake, but um, I don't tend to just believe everything I am told. if this player hadn't found out about it we would not even have been told by this dev that they are giving our info to some unknown entity.

i don't like this at all
Dont worry, just make sure your tinfoil hat is securely tied to your head and they wont be able to scan and catalogue you.

Beranzen
02.01.2012 , 06:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilbara View Post

i don't like this at all
Paranoid much?
The Demonstone Legacy
Kurgan Demonstone L55 Sith Pureblood Juggernaut
De'inara Demonstone L52 Chiss Operative
CE OWNERVIP? Nah.
Regulator Squadron