Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Something against dual-wielding in the movies?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Something against dual-wielding in the movies?

presleystorm
01.30.2012 , 04:22 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ZoeTuah View Post
I'd like to vouch for this answer. My little brother uses his toy saber with two hands against me, while I use only one hand. If I weren't an expert martial artist, his two-handed little-kid strength would easily beat back my one hand. And he doesn't even understand proper leverage.
If I weren't an expert martial artist....lol dork

PeepsMcJuggs
01.30.2012 , 05:03 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by presleystorm View Post
If I weren't an expert martial artist....lol dork
I give this response two thumbs up.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

PartVI
01.30.2012 , 05:20 AM | #23
Also, for the majority of people, this will work. Pick something up on your desk. Your drink, your mouse, a pen. I don't care. Just do that.

See what you did? You used your dominant hand, be it right or left. (Exceptions happen, don't care, moving on.)

Something like that will happen in a stressful situation almost every time, say, when you're fighting for your life with two lightsabers or weapons of any kind. You'll be swinging and fighting your butt off with your good hand while the other one will be there, getting in your way and possibly cutting parts of your body off.

Some people are athletic enough or, better, trained enough to pull off the use of two melee weapons. It takes years, it's never easy and it's not necessarily practical for many of the reasons highlighted earlier.

Because I know shooting, I'll go with this. A typical grip on a semiautomatic pistol will have your dominant hand around the grip, index finger ready along the trigger guard and your thumb parallel to the slide, within reach of the magazine release and slide catch/safety levers. Your off hand will be wrapped around the middle, index and ring fingers of your dominant hand with thumbs laying against one another, pointing forward. With your main hand you push out, with your off you pull back, creating a lock of sorts. When it comes time to reload, you can then remove your offhand, grab a magazine, simultaneously hit the magazine release, snap new magazine into place, release the slide and re-engage.

The weapon was designed for that kind of use. Not to be held akimbo while you shoot wildly and awkwardly while also having hot shell casings hit you in the face because the weapon was designed to be held in your PRIMARY HAND so it could eject shells away from you. All of this potentially applies to melee weapons as well. Grip, on switches, etc.

Shooting two pistols eliminates all of those benefits, gives you one more thing for your stressed out brain to keep track of(forget) and makes it stupidly complicated to try and reload.

Fighting (properly) with a weapon is hard enough, much less two of them. Not that I don't think it looks neat as hell too.

CelticMutt
01.30.2012 , 06:59 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Its one of those things where it was seen in the movie 2-3 times only and everybody went insane about it. But there really was no more need for it in the films.

Like Maul's Double-Bladed Lightsabers. After that we got famous EU characters like Kun and Shan.

Hell, even Maul himself. He was just a nobody villain that looked cool until there was a huge outbreak on him and thats why we now have novels on him.
Exar Kun predates Darth Maul by a good 5 - 6 years.

Kashaan
01.30.2012 , 07:16 AM | #25
Because dual wielding is generally a bad idea. You may think that two weapons is better than one, but that's almost never true.

Throughout history, the only effective forms of dual wielding have been with a main "attack" weapon, and a defensive weapon. The best example is the Rapier and Main-gauche. And then, all the attacking is done with your main hand (Rapier).

But that's the logical reason. The real reason is that Lucas didn't use trainers who specialized in any form of dual-wielding (they mostly don't exist). In the OT, he used Samurai style combat. In the prequels, he used mostly wu-shu trainers. Admittedly, wu-shu does contain the dual butterfly-sword styles, but they probably didn't work well with straight blades.
Pro-Addon, but also Pro-regulation. Working to keep addons that do more harm than good out of the game.

LordMaximum
01.30.2012 , 07:32 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by CelticMutt View Post
Exar Kun predates Darth Maul by a good 5 - 6 years.
Are you saying by the Galactic Timeline (If so you're an idiot) or are you saying it by the George Lucas Timeline (If so then you're still an idiot but not as much of one lol)
Dark Councilor, Sorcerer of the Dark Side.
Through strength I gain my power.

-Dark Councilor Nox-

Erevan_Kindelar
01.30.2012 , 07:35 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Verrell View Post
Why is it that in the films there is hardly no Jedi/Sith dual-wielding? Or was it just a rare form of combat?
Try holding a pen in your off-hand and writing your name with it. Now practice for 8 hours a day until you become good enough at it that someone reading it does not think the writer has alzheimers.
For most people, this takes months (or even years) of practice.
Now consider that, if you are holding a weapon in that hand instead of a pen, you do not need to worry about the other person thinking you have alzheimers, you have to worry that they are going to kill you. Having confidence in your off-hand skills in that situation requires years or decades of practice. For the VAST majority of people, they will discard that second weapon to either replace it with some form of protective shield or to grip their existing weapon in a double-handed grip.

As for the double-handed grip, watch womens' tennis matches. Most of the women with the strong backhand strokes use both hands on the raquet. Many also use two hands for the forehand, but the musce groups used there are more powerful than on the backhand side.

So two-handed wielders have more power and leverage than single-handed, and single-wielders are less likely to chop off their own foot than dual wielders.
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

emacs_
01.30.2012 , 08:33 AM | #28
hello everyone. First post here, but the discussion is particularly interesting.
Well I agree with everyone saying dual-wielding is too much difficult to be so frequent. It's really spectacular, obviously, so when we see it we say ooooh. But I'd have preferred not to have it as a must for Sentinels, nor to see it so often in the game. Some special training, or perhaps a specific skill tree would have been fit. But having it for any Sentinel/Sith Warrior is like under-qualifying it, to me. Same for saberstaffs (or double-bladed sabers). Statistically we have now a 25% jedi/siths using 2 blades and 25% using double-bladed ones: too many, movies or not movies, clone wars or not clone wars, Satele Shan or not Satele Shan. Different skill trees would have been better, perhaps leaving dual-wield to ataru or shien forms.

Furthermore: in Clone Wars Ahsoka wields two sabers, but one of them is shorter (or so it seems to me): more realistic. Resembles fighting with sword/shortsword or sword/dagger. Having two long blades seems to be really hard and hardly useful.

Artein
01.30.2012 , 08:36 AM | #29
Everyone wants to be Jedi (or Sith) Drizzt!
War is simply the galaxy's hygiene.

Bronze_Elemental
01.30.2012 , 08:44 AM | #30
Two sabers is so last decade, I want to see more characters using four sabers.