Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it true that they removed lots of different looking gear before release?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is it true that they removed lots of different looking gear before release?

Merwanor
01.29.2012 , 04:49 PM | #1
I have heard from many people saying that there where lots of different models and variations of gear on Beta, like social medium and heavy armor sets and just much more variety. I am not sure what I have heard is true, but watching trailers for the game makes me wonder because there are many armors on trailers and screenshots that I have yet to see anywhere in the game.

I am playing a Jedi Knight and I find it very odd that there are almost no non-hooded armors in the game. Even though most of the trailers and screenshots are of Jedi Knights with armors with their hoods down.

So is this true, was there more variety on beta? And if so, why on earth where they removed from the game I wonder, as it seems SWTOR really lacks variety in how people look.
The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.

jakarai
01.29.2012 , 04:51 PM | #2
It probably was. I do remember people saying there is gear you can buy with social points but all the social point gear sucks that I have seen.

Dystopic
01.29.2012 , 04:53 PM | #3
It's true. They even removed some gear during patches like the level 50 blue pvp set that was on coruscant.

Valkon
01.29.2012 , 04:58 PM | #4
Yes there was

There was also style/color matching to your chest-piece

Also companion customization slots where a full override for your companions outfit also, and there where more of them.

Your companion also started with a fully mod-able weapon, it was nice.

But a lot of the beta niceties are there to either hook players into buying or make life easier. I think about 3 vendors disappeared from Coruscant.
The best end game, is a sandbox.
Yes, I complain, I got a CE, and I don't regret it.
Complaints drive progress!

Lexster
01.29.2012 , 05:03 PM | #5
A lot of titles also disappeared from beta to release.

gurugeorge
01.29.2012 , 05:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Merwanor View Post
So is this true, was there more variety on beta? And if so, why on earth where they removed from the game I wonder, as it seems SWTOR really lacks variety in how people look.
I should think they want to give themselves some "headroom" to gradually introduce some of the already-made extra variety down the line - as perks, as parts of expansions, additions to crafting, etc., etc.

Or it might be that some of the items/vendors were causing problems in one way or another, and they wanted less variables in the equation at launch.

Or it might be that they want to save some things for a "cash shop" in the future.

Or some combination of these.

Apparently I am not the only one who remembers that there was something like an appearance tab too, back in the betas at the end of 2010. Presumably Orange gear replaced the apparance tab because it was blended with crafting (mods, etc.).

pursang
01.29.2012 , 05:39 PM | #7
It's true. I know this for a fact because Sith Marauders had quite a few awesome hooded-robes in the Beta, but good luck finding a single one of them now.
"He who slays monsters must look at himself to make sure he does not become the monster."
- Nietzsche

Gomla
01.29.2012 , 05:45 PM | #8
A hell of a lot of things vanished during beta.

I've been in a few beta tests where they added things over time but this is the first time i've seen things taken away at such a rapid pace.

If anyone remembers Bullseye, darts show from the 80's in the UK, it was a bit like that at the end.....

"Lets see what you could have won".

Just to rub it in. BioWare giveth and BioWare taketh away.

Merwanor
01.29.2012 , 05:52 PM | #9
Reading all these posts is making me sad, I can't believe a company like Bioware could do something like this. I have always praised them as one of the best game developers out there.
The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.

Skaara
01.29.2012 , 05:54 PM | #10
Wow, I never knew they did this. Classic bait and switch for sure and they should be ashamed for doing it.