Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

All things being equal, RDPS > MDPS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
All things being equal, RDPS > MDPS

Redbeaver
01.29.2012 , 02:01 PM | #1
As the title says, all things being equal, RDPS > MDPS. I think we all can agree on this; if you were to compare 2 hypothetical classes, both have similar dps potential, mobility, utility, and survivability, the class that could do it all from near or far, is better than the class that needs to be up close, yes?

Hence why TYPICALLY, RDPS is penalized in some fashion. For example, most abilities could be casted instead of instant cast (less mobility), or perhaps they become glass canons (less survivability), or have less dmg, etc.

Why has BW ignored this universal axiom of MMOs? What year is this?!

Squiddish
01.29.2012 , 02:06 PM | #2
What RDPS class doesn't rely on loads of casted abilities?
http://www.youtube.com/SquiiddishReturns
Yes, I'm that Squiddish.
The Republic: Playing PvP as well as a Rhesus monkey since 12/13/2011.

Redbeaver
01.29.2012 , 02:13 PM | #3
Merc?

Cowflab
01.29.2012 , 02:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Squiddish View Post
What RDPS class doesn't rely on loads of casted abilities?
True, but in most cases rdps doesn't have 3-4-5 gap makers plus a survival tool. Take a mage in wow for example. 2 gap makers, and often times can easily be countered. Not the case here for the most part. It is obvious that the PvP meta game favors range in this game.

One more aspect, no ranged class should have heavy armor AND survival tools. Medium armor with a survival tool is a stretch too. That is generally the trade off that comes with ranged classes. Heavy damage at distance, coupled with frantic scrambling and kiting. If not, you get mercd.

Squiddish
01.29.2012 , 02:14 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Redbeaver View Post
Merc?
Well, there's TRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLE mercs and then there's mercs who make use of Unload, DFA and their other skills. Either way, their DPS is significantly gimped by movement.

EDIT- reply to above:
AFAIK no ranged class has THAT many gap makers. Granted, it sure seems like it at times, but unless you're counting things like minor slows as gap makers, nobody has that. And to use your own example, Mages in WoW had like, 5 different freezes, as well as Blink. That's WAY more gap makers than any class in TOR.
Yes, I'm that Squiddish.

OklahomaSooner
01.29.2012 , 02:16 PM | #6
People saying Mercs can be viable simply using Tracer Missile against competent (LEVEL 50) opponents are the same people who say that Operatives STILL kill them in 3 seconds.

Lets get real, seriously.

ihateyouall
01.29.2012 , 02:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by OklahomaSooner View Post
People saying Mercs can be viable simply using Tracer Missile against competent (LEVEL 50) opponents are the same people who say that Operatives STILL kill them in 3 seconds.

funny thing is there are a lot of mercs that do spam tracer missile and put up perfectly reasonable numbers. Just because it's not the best way to play the class doesn't mean there aren't a lot of mercenaries doing this.

I see it all the time.
I HATE YOU

Lowerydro
01.29.2012 , 02:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Squiddish View Post
Well, there's TRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLE mercs and then there's mercs who make use of Unload, DFA and their other skills. Either way, their DPS is significantly gimped by movement.
That is part of the problem....

Get 10m away, you cut melee dps to zero. A ranged class can kite while moving and still do 30-50% damage they would do standing still.

IMO it is why a good powertech is rather OP at the moment. They can kite and range down someone, then when in melee range they are even more dangerous.

A couple of free saber throws for warriors/knights and giving assassins/shadows back 30m on spells would help to rebalance things.

BurnsTwoThree
01.29.2012 , 02:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OklahomaSooner View Post

Operatives don't kill me in 3 seconds, but with a few pieces of Battlemaster gear and 655 Expertise they can burn be down in a relatively short amount of time while bringing me to 50% within a couple GCDs. Their damage is way too overtuned coming out of stealth and need something more in sustained while reducing the opening burst substantially. Which would not only make their class better for PvP in general it would also give them more viability in PvE.

I agree completely about Tracer Missile though, while it does hit way too hard for a filler attack, it can be interrupted and is not a viable way of doing damage.

Squiddish
01.29.2012 , 02:24 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowerydro View Post
That is part of the problem....

Get 10m away, you cut melee dps to zero. A ranged class can kite while moving and still do 30-50% damage they would do standing still.

IMO it is why a good powertech is rather OP at the moment. They can kite and range down someone, then when in melee range they are even more dangerous.

A couple of free saber throws for warriors/knights and giving assassins/shadows back 30m on spells would help to rebalance things.
Use LoS, and the ranged guys stop hurting you. Melee all have their gap closers, stuns, and slows too, use them. Don't let them get away.
Yes, I'm that Squiddish.