Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I think I know what's causing poor FPS for some users (no fix yet)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
I think I know what's causing poor FPS for some users (no fix yet)

Cupelixx
01.29.2012 , 03:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by miltownbeast View Post
+ 10 internets on a job well done, I do think that your on the right path of a diagnosis of the issue. I have noticed that the FPS issue you mentioned persisted even when I upgraded my ram and dedicated more memory to my graphics.

Your break down of the issue gives me hope that with more and more patches this problem will go away, someone from bioware should read this and look into the validity of these claims.
I wish they would. It seems like the community has handled the brunt of troubleshooting these problems.

Niennnasil
01.29.2012 , 04:03 PM | #12
You know Swtor using HeroEngine so Just please read from http://wiki.heroengine.com :

Controlling Frame Rate (FPS)

Quote:
Strategies for Increasing FPS in areas with Low FPS already

First off, accept that it's going to hurt to fix the problem. Small changes are not going to increase FPS enough. You have to plan for making big reductions in your primitive count, in your buckets and in your draw calls.
  • Pick one room and work on fixing that one room, then move on to the adjacent rooms.
  • Fixing that one room will cause you to fix the other adjacent rooms as well.
  • Do some testing...delete massive quantities of various assets until fps is acceptible (probably 100,000 primitives or less)
  • This will help you get an idea of what you need to do...don't be too shocked, it'll probably be a lot of assets being deleted or replaced
  • First, look for High poly assets and then get rid of them or replace them
  • Second, look for details that can be deleted without impacting the look of the area noticeably
  • Try shifting things around or using lower poly assets as fillers
  • Third, check for mirrors and lights.
  • Use the strategies in HeroBlade Docs that describe how to limit the impact of mirrors on framerate
  • Check for too many lights, make sure they are not lighting up too much and overlapping with other lights or lighting thigns that are mirrored
  • Fourth, Re-cut your rooms and change your area layout to reduce the number of primitives.
  • There are some creative ways you can cut rooms that are described in your GM documenation. Be creative, especially with

Performance warning

Quote:
Performance warnings, also called Probe warnings or Warning lights, will flash in the lefthand part of the viewport when things are happening which might negatively impact framerate. These warnings can help developers identify what might be causing FPS problems.

So no comment... Bioware's engineers must be read HeroEngine prospectuse first before making game....
“Equality is a lie…A myth to appease the masses. Simply look around and you will see the lie for what it is! There are those with power, those with the strength and will to lead. And there are those meant to follow—those incapable of anything but servitude and a meager, worthless existence.”
Darth Bane

Cupelixx
01.29.2012 , 08:01 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Niennnasil View Post
You know Swtor using HeroEngine so Just please read from http://wiki.heroengine.com :

Performance warning

So no comment... Bioware's engineers must be read HeroEngine prospectuse first before making game....
Interesting. Time to get to work Bioware.

patatt
01.30.2012 , 03:32 AM | #14
This is one of those points where i despise the fact that I'm labeled as "one of the 5% of people having FPS issue due to poor hardware," by BioWare, as opposed to seeing some of the people who are hard at work discovering the true issue behind this FPS problem come out and actually have a discussion with us common folk. I swear, I've seen 100x more results oriented discussions started by consumers than I have seen legitimate responses from BioWare employees discussing this issue and the actual work being done to solve it.

+10 internets to the OP, as well.

kmufc
01.30.2012 , 03:38 AM | #15
Has anyone tried to disable the pagefile?

I have 8GB DDR3,but one thing i haven't done is to disable the page file altogether

This game for instance : http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120565:: suffered from mega stuttering and frame drops and took months before it was fixed.

Another success story: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120565

To disable the page file with this game mind,i suggest you will need to be running a 64bit OS and have around 6-8GB ram.anything less and the game might run worse i think.

Worth a try,it might ease the constant loading from the drive which the game is constantly doing.

Aranthaur
01.30.2012 , 04:22 AM | #16
disabling pagefile will greatly reduce system's stability.

Just saying.

kmufc
01.30.2012 , 04:27 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Aranthaur View Post

Just saying.
Many people run systems without a pagefile,its one of the situations where you have 2 camps

One that says its ok to disable if you have plenty of ram/SSD,the other who say system stability will be a problem without using one.

Im simply trying to suggest a way that might off load the constant loading from the HDD/SSD.

Like i said in earlier post,i would NOT suggest doing this if you are using a 32 Bit OS with a Max of 4GB ram. A 64 bit OS is needed with 6GB onwards.

Many people run a 64 Bit OS with 6 GB ram onwards with no page file and never ever run into any stability problems.

I have a 16 GB pagefile installed now,but i never ever use more than 200mb!

Im going to have a test later with this game with no pagefile and see if theres any improvement

renegadeimp
01.30.2012 , 04:32 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Niennnasil View Post

Performance warning

You never read hero engines response to questions posed did you.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

pokstair
01.30.2012 , 04:33 AM | #19
Yep, most of the times where my computer locks up in Ilum or Fleet, it's trying to page a lot of data at once, and I'm getting hard faults in the hundreds.

My friend has 16 GB of RAM and he says he has zero problems with the game. I can only assume this is the case because he simply doesnt use the pagefile at all.
I love this place because most people aren't capable of forming a coherent argument. It's like a low level grinding area for public debate.

renegadeimp
01.30.2012 , 04:33 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Aranthaur View Post

Just saying.
Not if you have a system thats powerful enough to compensate, which is pretty much any system from 2008 onwards.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.