Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

if you want to invite me to party, ASK ME first.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
if you want to invite me to party, ASK ME first.

Kabjat
01.29.2012 , 12:31 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by IIII-IIII-IIII View Post
This is definitely an old schooler posting. I applaud the mentality, actually.

Perhaps it's an over reaching assumption but I generally just avoid the groups entirely when the leader practices this. More times than not, it's a foreshadowing of the experience you'll have once grouped with said leader.
Exactly. I had this happen a while ago this morning and I whispered the guy, asking him what he needed. he comes back with, "To win." I humor him and reply with, "Heh, no what I mean is, why the invite?"

His response? "To help."

I laughed IRL, sparking a conversation between my husband and I about this. I didn't bother telling the player that I would have most likely been happy to help him with the saving face heroic even though I had already done it if he'd just asked me for help. You know....like a person.

and old school? hmm. If you mean old school as in old school gamer, I'm afraid I'm a noob in most every sense xD. WoW Rift and this are the extent of my MMO experience.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

Sabarok
01.29.2012 , 12:33 PM | #12
The only time I send out a team request without asking is when there's a mob being camped that can be shared and it appears obvious to both of us that we are both camping the same one. Since it can spawn at any time, speed is useful. Don't want to team? Decline, I'll not send it a 2nd time. I'd expect others to do the same to me, sending a team request once I arrive at a boss spawn site. I also fully expect the team to dissolve afterwards.

I also don't think there's much need to ask if you're in a dedicated quest area. My brother and I were doing a 2-man heroic on Dromund Kaas the other day. As we were fighting the boss, a lone Assassin showed up and helped us kill it. I asked my brother if he was willing to run it again, and we invited the assassin and ran it again. I don't even remember the assassin asking for help, or us offering. The invite was the offer.

Repeated invites, that is quite rude. Invites out of quest areas or for distant quests without asking, also rude.

I have never received a blind invite for a team that wasn't doing a quest for where I was already standing at the time. There have been times in other MMOs where I got blind invites as I passed through an area, but I just decline those and move on. I didn't think of them as rude since they thought I was on the same thing they were and were offering efficiency. Doesn't happen often since most players would rather just focus on their own quest and compete for the kills.

EternalFury
01.29.2012 , 12:35 PM | #13
I had this problem last night. Someone sent me an invite. I declined. He then cursed me out in local for having LFG flag on when I didn't want to group. I explained that I did NOT have the LFG option flagged. I automatically decline any invite that's not accompanied with a convo.

His response was that I was in the same area as he was and I should want to group up. Where is the logic in this?

Just because I'm in the local Mall does it mean i'm there to shop? sheesh.

Cormey
01.29.2012 , 12:35 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by cyberxeit View Post
One of the weird swtor players who untill wonder that not single-player game, but still playing like it's KotOR 3 and everywhere just a NPC.
Click on the invite button is esiest way to add someone to party instead of start talking.

If I see the someone who kill the same mobs as I need it - I always invite him. And rarely it's someone like post-starter who blame me with the wisper "you so rude! I'm never accept inite without 10kB whispers" and so on. Just relax! It's only game. And I'm talking to your by party-chat, just accept to invite the party before.

Think positively, make friendly to other players and everyone be alright.
Actually i don't even bother whispering why i turned down the invite, hey if you can't be bothered why should i?
Syff, Suder, Lieutenant Lonn, Captain Maureen.
Tassitan, Darth Vandicus, Agent Cormoran, Marin.
Blazerunner legacy, Lord Adraas server

The sees all

ObiQuixote
01.29.2012 , 12:36 PM | #15
The one situation where this is acceptable, if your obviously on the same mission with someone and both waiting on the same respawn.

I'll just blind invite the person. Usually they accept, we get the objective and we both say thanks and go our own way.

Kaphik
01.29.2012 , 12:36 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by uteboy View Post
For me, depends on the situation.

If we're all standing around waiting on a spawn that we have to kill, just invite me already. I've had several groups that have formed, killed the mob and disbanded without so much as a word.

If I'm out questing in the world and you want me to join your FP, or you need a hand with something and your randomly working your way down the who list, then ask me first.
This couldn't be said any better. I've noticed most of the no-ask invites come when people are after the same quest objective. That just shows me that people are considerate and realize we are all playing the same game and trying to have fun, so I accept those all the time.

RickRedOne
01.29.2012 , 12:36 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by uteboy View Post
For me, depends on the situation.

If we're all standing around waiting on a spawn that we have to kill, just invite me already. I've had several groups that have formed, killed the mob and disbanded without so much as a word.

If I'm out questing in the world and you want me to join your FP, or you need a hand with something and your randomly working your way down the who list, then ask me first.
I have to agree with this, as I have had this happen several times now. Several of us are approaching an elite at the end of a bonus series and I will get a group invite. Most of the time I will accept these because I know what the objective is.

It is nice when I get a 'thanks for the group' at the end.
The Details, it is all about the Details
Adapt, Overcome, Improvise

Miragee
01.29.2012 , 12:37 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabjat View Post
even MORE astounding is when you hit decline, the invite reappears....as if the player thinks that there must be some mistake or he will wear me down by attrition.

My children do that when trying to get what they want. Too bad I don't have toggle auto-decline for them too. >.<
I had someone who was either following me or doing the same quest. He invited me EIGHT times before I finally whispered him and told him to stop. Seriously if you do it once and it's declined, obviously that person doesn't want to group. Annoying them only lands you on the ignore list.

Even doing it once is foolish IMO. If you don't talk, neither of you knows if the other person is actually doing a quest you want/need to do.

My only exception is that if it's obvious you're both going after the same boss. Instead of racing to see who gets him first (and making the other person wait for it to respawn), it's better to try to group up.

Kabjat
01.29.2012 , 12:38 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by cyberxeit View Post
One of the weird swtor players who untill wonder that not single-player game, but still playing like it's KotOR 3 and everywhere just a NPC.
Click on the invite button is esiest way to add someone to party instead of start talking.

If I see the someone who kill the same mobs as I need it - I always invite him. And rarely it's someone like post-starter who blame me with the wisper "you so rude! I'm never accept inite without 10kB whispers" and so on. Just relax! It's only game. And I'm talking to your by party-chat, just accept to invite the party before.

Think positively, make friendly to other players and everyone be alright.
I respect your point of view, however I disagree. There is a time and place, like a couple of previous posters have stated, where this is acceptable. Like everyone waiting OBVIOUSLY for the same mob.

But it's not ok to do this if you clearly don't know what the person is doing. They may be working on crew skills, or trying to sell things, or just...not doing anything at all. Point is, getting a random invite shows a lack of courtesy. If that person ninja inviting is just standing around the quest hub looking LFM, then there is no reason he can't take the time to whisper.

And 'making friendly' works both ways.

I'm leveling a tank so auto-decline is an awesome feature and I'm glad it's in the game. >.<
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

GarbonzotheDude
01.29.2012 , 12:40 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ObiQuixote View Post
The one situation where this is acceptable, if your obviously on the same mission with someone and both waiting on a the same respawn.

I'll just blind invite the person. Usually they accept, we get the objective and we both say thanks and go our own way.
Yeah, I think for many including myself it is kind of the exception to the rule. WHen that happens I always accept. Normally I just whisper them and we group but if they throw an invite out first I always accept.

Really though since we're both there and waiting for the respawn I know what they're after and want.

Main reason I usually turn those down other times is I'm in the middle of doing something and their annoying screen pops up distracting me or I have no idea what they're trying to accomplish. I especially love the ones that start spam inviting you.