Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Expertise Modification Proposal

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Expertise Modification Proposal

Fintoozler
01.29.2012 , 10:18 AM | #1
While it suffers from a myriad of issues, both real and perceived, I think close to the forefront of PvP problems is that of expertise.

For fresh 50s, it's a real kick in the teeth to try and fight players with 400+ more expertise than you, leading some people to go as far as to proclaim that successful PvP involves no skill (I disagree, but I understand the sentiment). For levels 10-49 the stat is meaningless.

So here is what I propose:

Make expertise depend more on valor rank than on gear, and give gear expertise multipliers instead of a hard number (say, and I'm just pulling these numbers out of the sky, 2%/cent. piece, 4%/champ piece, 6%/BM piece).

I think this would generate a number of improvements:

1) Less dependency on RNG bag system: now the guy who just started pvp'ing and gets all his gear in his first 10 bags still has a fairly low expertise rating because of his low valor score, whereas the guy who puts in his time, but gets no love, will have more expertise than the lucky new guy.

2) More dynamic 10-49 bracket: while it could still easily turn out that way, a higher level won't automatically have ownage of a lower level if the valor scores differ enough.

3) Increased parity in the 50s bracket between "fresh" and "hardened" players: I think this would be the biggest improvement of all--we shouldn't have players lamenting that they can't stay 49 forever.

I like the expertise stat because I agree that investing time in PvP should give you something PvP related as a reward. The idea here being that valor score is a much better indicator of time invested.

Thanks for reading.
"Passion is fer smashin'."
-Early Cuyler

Fintoozler
01.29.2012 , 12:39 PM | #2
/bump

Guess I shoulda given it a sexier title
"Passion is fer smashin'."
-Early Cuyler

Fintoozler
01.29.2012 , 01:25 PM | #3
They killed my Jumbaco idea?!?