Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advanced Class Switching

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Advanced Class Switching

Dogblaster
12.16.2011 , 04:31 AM | #41
NO, NEVER ALLOW AC SWITCHING

Thank you
Life is a game. And I always win!

Mafiro
12.16.2011 , 04:54 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by MeanMartian View Post
These are good arguments. But not as good as alot of responders believe and I don't see that anyone has addressed them yet. So I'll give it a whirl.

The strongest point that you've made and one I can't disagree with entirely, this doesn't lessen replay value. However, as has been pointed out, the shared story and quests between the Advanced Classes already limits replay value. In less story driven MMO's players would do the same quests when leveling without blinking an eye, or in an MMO like WoW there is tons of excess leveling content not on a set rail or order and they could actually do entirely different content. This game is so story driven that your second AC will do the same stuff over again and you will notice. Some players will find the opportunity to do it all again with different choices compelling, others will not.

No. Not a strong point. As you already mention Dual Speccing will cause this to be a problem already and, as we've seen from WoW, a need/greed loot system can be programmed that mostly eliminates ninja looting. Ninja looting should be addressed up front by the programmers, it shouldn't be used as an excuse to deny features.

For one, if someone becomes a sniper and goes into a flash point or instance and rolls for sniper gear, that's not ninja looting, that's just looting. And yeah maybe to a point there'll be the need for new gear, but this is where your "hunter to paladin" comparison is less accurate. The difference between a Mercenary and a Powertech is much more like the difference between a Mage and a Warlock. Both need AIM gear primarily, even Powertech tanks need AIM gear. The majority of their gear will stay viable and there will be no 'desperation' to get the newer gear with more optimal secondary stats.

Yes. After spending 30 minutes to an hour waiting for a tank to be available, I do want a marauder who wants to try tanking despite never playing it before in 'marauder gear' tanking for the first time ever with no idea what they're doing. You know why I want that? Because the ugly truth is THAT is how you get a viable number of tanks in this game. Flashpoints, in this game, are 4 man instances, that's two dps, one tank, and a healer, an even worse ratio than in WoW. What you've described, though you've put in the worst possible light, is one of the best reasons to ALLOW advanced class changes, it makes it easier for the game population to achieve an equilibrium between the party roles.

That becomes a question of values I suppose. I don't value that choice as highly as you do. In fact, I think a new player should be able to log into the game, just start leveling, get to level 10, should be able to make an advanced class choice just based on the brief description given in game, and if he finds out he made that choice wrongly, be able to go back on it and see how the other half lives. I don't think a choice that you make at level 10 should permanently define your character.

So, two more reasons to allow Advanced Class Switching

It allows twice as many players to address role deficiencies on their servers, thus halving the likelihood that you will be pressured to change specs. If you don't want someone telling your Rage Juggernaut to go Immortal or go home, then the best thing you can hope for is the chance that they can tell someone's Rage Marauder to do it instead.

Two, it prevents new players from completely ruining their game experience with an unresearched choice during the first ten levels of play.
frankly i think the arguements you quoted are more compelling than the ones you made. However, this may also be due to the fact that i share the same opinion with them. I think this is really a matter of opinion and very meaningful arguements can be made for both sides. You have to define and get on the same page about which issues or aspects you are trying to preserve or destroy before you make an arguement about how to go about doing so. Right now people are argueing different points which are great in their own right but pretty much is apples to oranges, which is your favorite!! Either way i highly doubt they will allow you to switch AC not because it is my opinion that it is totally stupid...but because it is theirs...

Achromatis
12.16.2011 , 05:10 AM | #43
I still want to be able to respec my AC personally, but Ill be fine if it never happens. Not every MMO has to be WoW.
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data

Seriihn
12.16.2011 , 05:27 AM | #44
I'm not really against AC switching, but if they ever allow it, it should be an important choice for the player, which is either time consuming, a HEAVY financal(ingame) hit OR both.

seekerofpower
12.16.2011 , 07:31 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Achromatis View Post
I still want to be able to respec my AC personally, but Ill be fine if it never happens. Not every MMO has to be WoW.
WoW doesn't allow you to change class on the fly either.
"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds."

EchoLimit
12.16.2011 , 07:38 AM | #46
No, but WoW's classes are all fixed. Image if there was a 'starter' class which branched off into mage and warlock, or priest/paladin.
'What do you mean they can't give me quests if they're dead? Can't i loot it from their corpses?'
The Progenitor EU | Caliph - Lvl 50 Scoundrel | Ende - 24 Vanguard

G-Seven
12.16.2011 , 07:43 AM | #47
Repeating non-starter zone quest content while leveling alts is a given in any contemporary MMO. Whether it is a completely new class (to you) or a copy of an existing one.

Unfortunately, this game is more linear than others and that makes the repetition even more unpleasant.
Warning: Game Experience May Change During Online Play

akridvenom
12.16.2011 , 09:58 AM | #48
It would be nice if they did add a AC switch option. Adding it at level 20 and only allowing you to do it once would be a good idea, that way if you need new gear you can get it from quest rewards and you have a companion to help with your now gimped char until its done.

Also this way if you liked your old AC you wouldn't switch in the first place and if you didn't like the new one then you know the whole class isn't for you and time for reroll. Other games give you the gist of your class within the fist 10 levels and if its not good for you its not been a lot of time wasted, thankfully SWTOR has slower leveling times but that kinda works against you finding you char (please note i want the current speed of leveling to stay! its awesome leveling!!!)

The argument of redoing same story isn't really a good one, making an alt char in a lot of other games forces you to redo same areas and i have never played another mmo that's class story driven rather than a main plot for everyone (also space bar skips stuff :P).

Only allowing this once would stop people hopping between AC's. Yes you are correct that AC is a class and not a talent spec but you can change spec more than once and in future will have dual spec so it would not be like that at all. Its nice that people can roll a class and instantly enjoy the choice they made, its also nice that people can get to 20-30 say nah its not for me and have the patience to do it again with the different AC choice.

Personally i have made my choice as IA Sniper, it was my first choice and i love it but in my opinion me liking it was nothing but dumb luck, i had no idea how it played and from what i hear the other AC plays completely different being up close and being stealthed or even healing! Nothing like being behind cover a good distance away and using a sniper rifle.

Dharagada
12.16.2011 , 10:13 AM | #49
For the most part I'm against AC Switching I think when you pick your AC it should be a meaningful choice.

That being said I do believe BioWare dropped the ball a bit in how they handle advanced classes. You level to 10 with no introduction to them then you have a 5 second introduction to what is suppose to be a very important decision.

I wouldn't be against having the ability to switch between ACs till at least level 20 at which point you get locked in, or having a much more involved AC Quest that better gives a person a feel for what the two choices will be like.

But that's my opinion.

Darren_Kitlor
12.16.2011 , 10:11 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Dharagada View Post
For the most part I'm against AC Switching I think when you pick your AC it should be a meaningful choice.

That being said I do believe BioWare dropped the ball a bit in how they handle advanced classes. You level to 10 with no introduction to them then you have a 5 second introduction to what is suppose to be a very important decision.

I wouldn't be against having the ability to switch between ACs till at least level 20 at which point you get locked in, or having a much more involved AC Quest that better gives a person a feel for what the two choices will be like.

But that's my opinion.
I don't see how locking this provides meaning.

Think of it like a convertible: I can switch to the occasion hat suits me but the main class is more or less the same. I don't see the meaning being lost in drive a convertible.