Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Nightmare is too easy


Vastian's Avatar


Vastian
01.29.2012 , 11:36 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by schnopsnosn View Post
You assume everyone has been playing MMOs before TOR.
I haven't and I am having a lot of fun trying to clear the Ops.
On my server we have two guilds that are content clear on 8-man and are struggling on 16 man right now so I don't see how the content is "too easy"
It's not supposed to be so insanely hard that only veterans have a chance of clearing it because it will put the rest of the community off.
Actually that's exactly what Nightmare should be
-V
Versus Terminus
Dark Side for life

-Arcane-'s Avatar


-Arcane-
01.29.2012 , 11:37 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Hostyle View Post
Name me an MMO that at release satisfied hardcore raiders? There are none. Every game is released with the focus on the rush to level cap. Later is when raiding is addressed. If youve played an MMO you know this and accept it.
RIFT had some awsome tier 1 and tier 2 content...
Arcane Nerdherder - GM of Glory Guild on Niman
PvE Completion 10/10 Nightmare 16man - Videos


Gone to Play Diablo III, SWTOR failed.

-Arcane-'s Avatar


-Arcane-
01.29.2012 , 11:39 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Vastian View Post
Actually that's exactly what Nightmare should be
^ this


Why have 3 difficulty settings when there is bugger all difference between them?
Arcane Nerdherder - GM of Glory Guild on Niman
PvE Completion 10/10 Nightmare 16man - Videos


Gone to Play Diablo III, SWTOR failed.

alifaraaz's Avatar


alifaraaz
01.29.2012 , 01:47 PM | #14
There's no problem with BioWare trying to cater for everyone. I'm no hardcore player myself - but realistically when you have 3 different difficulties:

1. Should be easy enough for all groups of players (even PUG raids) to eventually complete it.

2. Should be difficult enough that a well put together group/guild will get it done. (This would cover most PvE guilds)

3. Nightmare should be, that jump that separates the weak from the strong. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Afterall, all players, casual or hardcore alike are all getting to experience the endgame content, only that the hardcore are able to challenge themselves (while the rest contrinue to have fun challenging themselves on option 2).

Think about it - it's the only thing that makes real sense. If people were to then complain that Nightmare is too hard, they should simply be told: No you're just not good enough.

Because end of the day, there's absolutely nothing wrong with not being good enough to do Nightmare mode - you would still be able to do the other difficulties thus still experiencing the content - so everybody wins

Myself, I wouldnt be bothered if I couldnt do Nightmare. I'd do the other difficulties, and I'd try Nightmare - and even if I couldnt beat it - i'd keep trying it (until eventually giving up). And this way EVERYONE gets a challenge, both casual or new players as well as experienced MMO vets.

JesterSithMaster's Avatar


JesterSithMaster
01.29.2012 , 01:59 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by -Arcane- View Post
^ this


Why have 3 difficulty settings when there is bugger all difference between them?
Ummmm, have you played and seen the difference in Maelstrom Prison Hard Mode and Normal? The Warden's eye laser in HM is practically a 1 shot kill unless you're a tank with great gear. This is assuming that you haven't gotten any Rakata, Columni or Tionese gear.

The difficulties are tiered so that you can get better gear between normal, HM and Nightmare. When you go do the harder ones, it seems to run like the others as long as you have gotten the better/best gear available prior doing the runs.

For example, when you do a normal FP you can get by with gear you find from drops. However, when you reach level 50, you need to start doing the dailies to get the better mods and equipment. So then when you go do the HMs, it will run similar to normal with some exceptions (reference the eye laser above).

As you're doing the HMs, you'll find better and better gear. Once you get a full set of Columni/Tionese, then the Nightmare difficulty will run very similar to HM. As long as you've taken the time to get properly geared up, then it just comes down to what strategy you use in the FPs.

Sincerely,
Jester

Cynistra's Avatar


Cynistra
01.29.2012 , 02:21 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by JesterSithMaster View Post
Ummmm, have you played and seen the difference in Maelstrom Prison Hard Mode and Normal?
Ya, because comparing a lvl 30ish instance on normal and its hard mode version just makes your point stand out. How about the difference between D7 normal and hard mode? There is close to no difference. False emperor normal and hard? again almost no difference. Difference between EV normal mode and nightmare mode? Close to non-existent.

Mavery's Avatar


Mavery
01.29.2012 , 02:23 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by JesterSithMaster View Post
Ummmm, have you played and seen the difference in Maelstrom Prison Hard Mode and Normal? The Warden's eye laser in HM is practically a 1 shot kill unless you're a tank with great gear. This is assuming that you haven't gotten any Rakata, Columni or Tionese gear.

The difficulties are tiered so that you can get better gear between normal, HM and Nightmare. When you go do the harder ones, it seems to run like the others as long as you have gotten the better/best gear available prior doing the runs.

For example, when you do a normal FP you can get by with gear you find from drops. However, when you reach level 50, you need to start doing the dailies to get the better mods and equipment. So then when you go do the HMs, it will run similar to normal with some exceptions (reference the eye laser above).

As you're doing the HMs, you'll find better and better gear. Once you get a full set of Columni/Tionese, then the Nightmare difficulty will run very similar to HM. As long as you've taken the time to get properly geared up, then it just comes down to what strategy you use in the FPs.

Sincerely,
Jester
Any tank that takes any damage from that boss is terrible.

Vastian's Avatar


Vastian
01.29.2012 , 02:32 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by JesterSithMaster View Post
Ummmm, have you played and seen the difference in Maelstrom Prison Hard Mode and Normal? The Warden's eye laser in HM is practically a 1 shot kill unless you're a tank with great gear. This is assuming that you haven't gotten any Rakata, Columni or Tionese gear.

The difficulties are tiered so that you can get better gear between normal, HM and Nightmare. When you go do the harder ones, it seems to run like the others as long as you have gotten the better/best gear available prior doing the runs.

For example, when you do a normal FP you can get by with gear you find from drops. However, when you reach level 50, you need to start doing the dailies to get the better mods and equipment. So then when you go do the HMs, it will run similar to normal with some exceptions (reference the eye laser above).

As you're doing the HMs, you'll find better and better gear. Once you get a full set of Columni/Tionese, then the Nightmare difficulty will run very similar to HM. As long as you've taken the time to get properly geared up, then it just comes down to what strategy you use in the FPs.

Sincerely,
Jester
This is the definition of a treadmill, and not of difficulty.

To run nightmare you should HAVE to have full columi w/ some rakata, and it should STILL be harder to complete than HM.
-V
Versus Terminus
Dark Side for life

Mavery's Avatar


Mavery
01.29.2012 , 02:46 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by schnopsnosn View Post
You assume everyone has been playing MMOs before TOR.
I haven't and I am having a lot of fun trying to clear the Ops.
On my server we have two guilds that are content clear on 8-man and are struggling on 16 man right now so I don't see how the content is "too easy"
It's not supposed to be so insanely hard that only veterans have a chance of clearing it because it will put the rest of the community off.
Being a veteran of the MMO genre has nothing to do with your ability to clear content. I know people are going to disagree with me, but it's the truth. When I start doing group content in MMOs, I had no prior experience, obviously, and had little to no trouble figuring things out.

If you are having trouble clearing OPs, you, or more specifically, the whole of your team, lacks basic problem solving skills. I'm making the assumption your team is geared appropriately and knows their classes well. If this is a bad assumption, then it becomes a much more complex problem to tackle.

In summation: stop being bad and you'll clear OPs.

sdeha's Avatar


sdeha
01.29.2012 , 02:55 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
Being a veteran of the MMO genre has nothing to do with your ability to clear content. I know people are going to disagree with me, but it's the truth. When I start doing group content in MMOs, I had no prior experience, obviously, and had little to no trouble figuring things out.
I have to agree with you, people tend to overestimate the benefits of having previous MMO experience. It is basically the same skills people use in gaming regardless of what the game is. So I would look at peoples gaming experience as a whole rather than looking at MMO experience only.