Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR: A single player game with 3 maps

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
SWTOR: A single player game with 3 maps

ratempa's Avatar


ratempa
01.29.2012 , 06:53 AM | #1
There is nothing about this game that says I need to pay $15 a month in addition to what I already paid by purchasing the game. The story lines are good, but it's designed with a single player in mind. Essentially it's a single player game with 3 multiplayer maps.

I realize it's a great design to make the leveling process/story line soloable. However it seems to go out of its way to make teaming up with other players hard or just unnecessary. By this I mean there is no dungeon queueing for groups! There are no incentives to group up. Another problem for grouping is that there are too many servers. Yes I realize that this cuts down on waiting to log into the game, but my server is deserted! There is absolutely nobody on Ilum and maybe a handful of people per planet. So that makes it tough to do heroics or any of the flashpoints. The companions are great, but with them, there's no need to group. Therefor it's an enjoyable single player game.

I want to like warzones, I really do. But it's just three maps with only a handful of people. Imagine playing Call of Duty on only three maps, but you're paying Activision $15 a month to play it. It's unacceptable and it's not okay to put up with. I know there's Ilum, but the fact that servers are unbalanced and can't handle more than a handful of people. It's just not what I expected out of PVP. I remember having a much funner experience in zone pvp in Vanilla WoW, and the areas were not even designed for PVP! But it was the game design that allowed for pvp battles to spring up among players in unexpected areas!

I know why they designed warzones with only 16 players per match... because they don't know how to make anything bigger. I'm sure they tried but it brought out glarring issues with their game mechanics and classes, so they cut the player cap at 16 and decided it was good enough. This is speculation on my part.

To end my thoughts, I did enjoy the story line. This game will definitely change how future MMO's do stories via voice acting, but that's it. It's a good single player game, not great. By comparison Skyrim's world feels light years ahead of what we're offered by BioWare. And i'm not paying extra money to play Skyrim. So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.

SlickDevlan's Avatar


SlickDevlan
01.29.2012 , 07:19 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ratempa View Post
There is nothing about this game that says I need to pay $15 a month in addition to what I already paid by purchasing the game. The story lines are good, but it's designed with a single player in mind. Essentially it's a single player game with 3 multiplayer maps.

I realize it's a great design to make the leveling process/story line soloable. However it seems to go out of its way to make teaming up with other players hard or just unnecessary. By this I mean there is no dungeon queueing for groups! There are no incentives to group up. Another problem for grouping is that there are too many servers. Yes I realize that this cuts down on waiting to log into the game, but my server is deserted! There is absolutely nobody on Ilum and maybe a handful of people per planet. So that makes it tough to do heroics or any of the flashpoints. The companions are great, but with them, there's no need to group. Therefor it's an enjoyable single player game.

I want to like warzones, I really do. But it's just three maps with only a handful of people. Imagine playing Call of Duty on only three maps, but you're paying Activision $15 a month to play it. It's unacceptable and it's not okay to put up with. I know there's Ilum, but the fact that servers are unbalanced and can't handle more than a handful of people. It's just not what I expected out of PVP. I remember having a much funner experience in zone pvp in Vanilla WoW, and the areas were not even designed for PVP! But it was the game design that allowed for pvp battles to spring up among players in unexpected areas!

I know why they designed warzones with only 16 players per match... because they don't know how to make anything bigger. I'm sure they tried but it brought out glarring issues with their game mechanics and classes, so they cut the player cap at 16 and decided it was good enough. This is speculation on my part.

To end my thoughts, I did enjoy the story line. This game will definitely change how future MMO's do stories via voice acting, but that's it. It's a good single player game, not great. By comparison Skyrim's world feels light years ahead of what we're offered by BioWare. And i'm not paying extra money to play Skyrim. So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.

First off, virtually every MMO released since WoW can be played "solo" until you reach end game. To say that that is a flaw in SWTOR is to either be ignorant or to hate MMOs altogether. Second of all, there IS a grouping function. Sure it could use some work, but it does exist. Finally, you're paying for quite a bit more than warzones. If you go out and buy a game that only incidentally deals with pvp and then you complain about the lack of pvp, well, that would be a YOU problem.

What makes your post even worse is your comparison to WoW. In Vanilla WoW for almost a year there were zero BGs. Even at the and of vanilla there were only three. And since you're whining about not being able to immediately summon 3 NPCs from other servers to clear FPs for you I can only assume that you are referring to the dumpster fire LFD tool from WoW.

Adios man. Although I doubt you will be missed.

SwordoftheStars's Avatar


SwordoftheStars
01.29.2012 , 07:24 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ratempa View Post
There is nothing about this game that says I need to pay $15 a month in addition to what I already paid by purchasing the game. The story lines are good, but it's designed with a single player in mind. Essentially it's a single player game with 3 multiplayer maps.

I realize it's a great design to make the leveling process/story line soloable. However it seems to go out of its way to make teaming up with other players hard or just unnecessary. By this I mean there is no dungeon queueing for groups! There are no incentives to group up. Another problem for grouping is that there are too many servers. Yes I realize that this cuts down on waiting to log into the game, but my server is deserted! There is absolutely nobody on Ilum and maybe a handful of people per planet. So that makes it tough to do heroics or any of the flashpoints. The companions are great, but with them, there's no need to group. Therefor it's an enjoyable single player game.

I want to like warzones, I really do. But it's just three maps with only a handful of people. Imagine playing Call of Duty on only three maps, but you're paying Activision $15 a month to play it. It's unacceptable and it's not okay to put up with. I know there's Ilum, but the fact that servers are unbalanced and can't handle more than a handful of people. It's just not what I expected out of PVP. I remember having a much funner experience in zone pvp in Vanilla WoW, and the areas were not even designed for PVP! But it was the game design that allowed for pvp battles to spring up among players in unexpected areas!

I know why they designed warzones with only 16 players per match... because they don't know how to make anything bigger. I'm sure they tried but it brought out glarring issues with their game mechanics and classes, so they cut the player cap at 16 and decided it was good enough. This is speculation on my part.

To end my thoughts, I did enjoy the story line. This game will definitely change how future MMO's do stories via voice acting, but that's it. It's a good single player game, not great. By comparison Skyrim's world feels light years ahead of what we're offered by BioWare. And i'm not paying extra money to play Skyrim. So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.
exactly my thoughts, game is not worth paying a monthly fee

Bafucin's Avatar


Bafucin
01.29.2012 , 07:25 AM | #4
Huttball removed or option to skip it would make me so happy. I freaking hate that "warzone"!

Harder NPC would also make the game more fun. The best are the Elites that make you fight a little longer then 2 sec... it's so boring runing around being superman.

It makes me feel so stupid like I need help to kill... fighting same lvl mobs it's super easy then you ding one lvl and you can just stand there and take no dmg and just press down one attack and they die... how fun is that?

The mobs also need better agro range. They just stand there... I can go away and eat having my character 5m away a group of mobs... hello?

We are not 3 years old, no need to make everything so simple!

Elusiaa's Avatar


Elusiaa
01.29.2012 , 07:34 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ratempa View Post
There is nothing about this game that says I need to pay $15 a month in addition to what I already paid by purchasing the game. The story lines are good, but it's designed with a single player in mind. Essentially it's a single player game with 3 multiplayer maps.

I realize it's a great design to make the leveling process/story line soloable. However it seems to go out of its way to make teaming up with other players hard or just unnecessary. By this I mean there is no dungeon queueing for groups! There are no incentives to group up. Another problem for grouping is that there are too many servers. Yes I realize that this cuts down on waiting to log into the game, but my server is deserted! There is absolutely nobody on Ilum and maybe a handful of people per planet. So that makes it tough to do heroics or any of the flashpoints. The companions are great, but with them, there's no need to group. Therefor it's an enjoyable single player game.

I want to like warzones, I really do. But it's just three maps with only a handful of people. Imagine playing Call of Duty on only three maps, but you're paying Activision $15 a month to play it. It's unacceptable and it's not okay to put up with. I know there's Ilum, but the fact that servers are unbalanced and can't handle more than a handful of people. It's just not what I expected out of PVP. I remember having a much funner experience in zone pvp in Vanilla WoW, and the areas were not even designed for PVP! But it was the game design that allowed for pvp battles to spring up among players in unexpected areas!

I know why they designed warzones with only 16 players per match... because they don't know how to make anything bigger. I'm sure they tried but it brought out glarring issues with their game mechanics and classes, so they cut the player cap at 16 and decided it was good enough. This is speculation on my part.

To end my thoughts, I did enjoy the story line. This game will definitely change how future MMO's do stories via voice acting, but that's it. It's a good single player game, not great. By comparison Skyrim's world feels light years ahead of what we're offered by BioWare. And i'm not paying extra money to play Skyrim. So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.
Up to you , it's not Star Wars but Mob Wars rofl ! Pvp is simply an epic fail lol !

Fairshihtzu's Avatar


Fairshihtzu
01.29.2012 , 07:42 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bafucin View Post
Harder NPC would also make the game more fun. The best are the Elites that make you fight a little longer then 2 sec... it's so boring runing around being superman.
I completely agree, it's no fun having quests being red/hc and you still can solo them. That results in less people grouping up for questing etc and people also tends to get bored when there's no challenge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is a bad game (best game of 2011) or that the various systems in this game is on an non adequate lvl. I'm just saying that the difficulty lvl of the NPC's needs to be checked up.

Also, cheers for making a great game!

edit: @Arkimor: Saying that this game will fall is just a bad way of saying that you dislike it.

LogicalPremise's Avatar


LogicalPremise
01.29.2012 , 07:48 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ratempa View Post
So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.
Well, that's your opinion. It would have been nice if you could offer more evidence as to why it's a single player game simply because you picked an unfortunately quiet server.

No one can make you sub or tell you are wrong for unsubbing but presenting opinion as fact is laughable.
Majynn - 55 Sith Sorcerer - The Society
Garadan- 53 Sith Juggernaught - VTSU
HARBINGER

Jamus_Divinus's Avatar


Jamus_Divinus
01.29.2012 , 08:10 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by lineschmidt View Post
Do you also walk in to a Starbucks and say I don't drink coffee but here is what i don't like about yours?
That's a sig right there

Not sure if the OP knows this yet but a LFG tool is being worked on atm and will be live soon. Not sure if that makes you want to stay or not and frankly am not too bothered but thought i'd mention it in case someone else finds it something to look forward to.
Star Wars Galaxies - Bria Server - April 2005- December 2011
310,000,000 Mounts:149/162 Pets:128/143
Achievement points:19400 Ships mastered: 5/16

Rhysling's Avatar


Rhysling
01.29.2012 , 08:21 AM | #9
I have to agree. This is the best MMO on the market today and the greatest MMO ever!

Proto's Avatar


Proto
01.29.2012 , 08:27 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ratempa View Post
There is nothing about this game that says I need to pay $15 a month in addition to what I already paid by purchasing the game. The story lines are good, but it's designed with a single player in mind. Essentially it's a single player game with 3 multiplayer maps.

I realize it's a great design to make the leveling process/story line soloable. However it seems to go out of its way to make teaming up with other players hard or just unnecessary. By this I mean there is no dungeon queueing for groups! There are no incentives to group up. Another problem for grouping is that there are too many servers. Yes I realize that this cuts down on waiting to log into the game, but my server is deserted! There is absolutely nobody on Ilum and maybe a handful of people per planet. So that makes it tough to do heroics or any of the flashpoints. The companions are great, but with them, there's no need to group. Therefor it's an enjoyable single player game.

I want to like warzones, I really do. But it's just three maps with only a handful of people. Imagine playing Call of Duty on only three maps, but you're paying Activision $15 a month to play it. It's unacceptable and it's not okay to put up with. I know there's Ilum, but the fact that servers are unbalanced and can't handle more than a handful of people. It's just not what I expected out of PVP. I remember having a much funner experience in zone pvp in Vanilla WoW, and the areas were not even designed for PVP! But it was the game design that allowed for pvp battles to spring up among players in unexpected areas!

I know why they designed warzones with only 16 players per match... because they don't know how to make anything bigger. I'm sure they tried but it brought out glarring issues with their game mechanics and classes, so they cut the player cap at 16 and decided it was good enough. This is speculation on my part.

To end my thoughts, I did enjoy the story line. This game will definitely change how future MMO's do stories via voice acting, but that's it. It's a good single player game, not great. By comparison Skyrim's world feels light years ahead of what we're offered by BioWare. And i'm not paying extra money to play Skyrim. So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.
Another person that has SEEN THE LIGHT! Welcome bro, glad you made it out of the Matrix. It is a shame, however, that the forum Biobrigade will come sweeping in and try to lock this ASAP. What they don't realize is that by doing so they simply cause consumers to spread their opinions OUTSIDE of these walls making it far, far worse.

So hey Biodrones, lock this thread! Go ahead! Can't shut the world up to how crap your game is. Its already spreading.