Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Jedi Consular story....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The Jedi Consular story....

Savesthaday
01.30.2012 , 02:41 PM | #21
I did not care for the Consular's story (I played it through to the end). I went Light the whole way, so it may be different for others. But for me the story lacked heart (I realize Jedi isn't known for heart.).

I waited for the story to get better and it never did, for me the whole story was one note all the way through, I never felt scared, or sad, extremely happy or surprised. It was very scripted. Also..

Spoiler

The end didn't feel epic or satisfying to me personally.

shadowfoxe
02.01.2012 , 06:28 AM | #22
jedi consular shadow is pretty awesome imo, using my shielding and helping other jedi masters.

gunslinger
02.01.2012 , 07:29 AM | #23
I've enjoyed the consular story so far (level 16 on Coruscant). It is entirely different from the knight, smuggler, inquisitor, and agent stories that I've played. If you want a more action hero story with bravado and jumping into action, grab the knight. If you want sarcasm and snarky one liners with run and gun action, go smuggler. If you want a backstabbing, manipulating, bag the girl story, that'd be the agent.

I've played inquisitor the furthest (started act 2). That has lots of action, but also an "outcast" in the empire kind of feel so that you can really go LS or DS. If you like to just take joy from tazing people, go DS. If you like to be the guy that wants to change the world and do whatever you want b/c that's what makes you "free" you can go LS. Some good sarcasm and a good "learn the mysteries of the dark side of the force" story. More action than the consular story, but not a ton.

But I also like the consular which puts me fully into the diplomat style story. I disabled the LS/DS helps on conversation and just pick what I want. As a shadow, I play where my goal is to save and serve the republic, which leads me to sometimes choose the darker option...

(early spoiler)
Spoiler

Ancaglon
02.01.2012 , 07:33 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Finngarh View Post
What's the title anyway ?
Mender of the Rift. Which has no reference at all to Act 3.

I do agree that the finale was a lot less Epic than it should have been, and has practically no visible impact on the Galactic stage.
Spoiler

QuiQuaeQuod
02.01.2012 , 08:04 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Phydra View Post
Level 50 Consular Sage here; wasn't bored at all. Simply put, if you don't like diplomacy and following the Jedi Code, you're probably not going to be impressed with the consular storyline.

You're essentially playing an Obi-esque character; as you might recall, they're somewhat low-key until they absolutely have no other choice. For folk looking for excitement, thrills, and action, this likely doesn't hit the sweet spot of expectation. Then again, for those who get diplomacy as a profession and its affect on much larger events, it is exciting, thrilling, and action-filled.

(And no, the storyline doesn't really "change" except that your encounters with the "evil" folk get harder as you go along.)

My $0.02 worth.
I agree - I found it fun; especially later on with the leading your own little army of elite troops around Corellia like some uber Jedi General. The sad thing for me was the troops are largely inconsequential and you don't actually get to lead them against enemy armies in combat; but then there is virtually no such gameplay in SWTOR (yet?) sadly, which seems to devalue the effort one puts in to building an army through diplomacy and cunning.

I agree doubly with the Obi comment - you really are the quintessential Kenobi Jedi from the films; keeping your head low (especially as a Shadow), negotiating, manipulating enemies into surrender or bringing them to the Light, and only fighting when all this fails. Result is you get to make witty and caustic remarks (and even the occasional 'Hello there' to some uber Sith Lord and at least one 'I have a baaad feeling about this'), but when the enemy won't yield, you suddenly throw off your cloak and kick major *ss.

Played as a tank/balance Shadow all the way through; great fun being proficient with both sabre and Force and the dialogue really matched the Obi paradigm... Plus (not got any epic gear yet) have 24% defence chance (deflection and parrying) before battle buffs and deflection ability, so one can parry blaster bolts like a Boss, whilst Sith Warriors and Marauders pretty much just bounce off me harmlessly in battle feelsgoodman.jpg.

Przemo_No
09.06.2012 , 02:50 AM | #26
Hmm, maybe I'm alone with my point of view, but I actually LIKED the JC story. Indeed, you are "pure" Jedi of , say, most "canonical" way it can be made. as someone stated elsewhere JC story is kinda KOTOR3 and for that I am happy. Did not pay much attention to any PvP just focused on the story. Leading my little army on Corellia was, indeed, fun, maybe just too late. Another planet with them around would be better.
No, I was not really disappointed that they immediately sent me out to Ilum - it's just a consequence of my previous dealings, isn't it? I was good at fights and diplomacy and Ilum needs both, so..here U go.
The only sour part this was that the final title definitely should be "of the Council" - the current given refers strictly to Chapter 2 and not to 3.
WHY?
Dark side is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be unnatural.

LostInReverie
09.08.2012 , 09:26 PM | #27
I'm on Balmorra in Act 2 of the JC story. I'm liking it so far. Act 1 did get a little slow at times, and I was ready for it to be over and move on to other things. Overall, though, I like being a diplomat capable of leading armies and bringing entire planets back to the Republic.

My Consular is the first character I made so of course I am going to be pretty protective and attached to her. Haha.
The Callisto Legacy

{Canderous Ordo -> Jedi Covenant / The Ebon Hawk -> Star Forge}

SlickAWG
09.08.2012 , 11:57 PM | #28
I loved the Consular story. You just have to be prepared for it going in. I leveled my Consular while my friend played a Knight, and we were delighted at the differing storylines. And while I can see how people might find Chapter 1 to be a little slow, my friend was jealous when I got to do things like
Spoiler
or
Spoiler

Essentially, you have to know you're playing a different kind of Jedi. One who is more a diplomat than a straight-up warrior. For me, that was excellent, and I'm hoping that when the class stories are continued, I'll get to see people like
Spoiler
again.
Thank you, Bioware, for changing the name. Now that I'm not a "wizard", can we make my lightsaber less of a "wand"?

UltimateKrucible
09.14.2012 , 07:29 AM | #29
The first act:

Spoiler

The story only really picks up in the second and third acts, which were great
Spoiler

My biggest complaint, however, is that the whole storyline seems geared towards being a sage. I played Shadow, supposedly the secret justice arm of the Jedi, but it just didn't seem relevant at all.

We also get borked on companions.
Spoiler

All in all I'd give the consular arc 6.5 out of ten.

scionofhorus
09.24.2012 , 06:44 AM | #30
The whole thing felt rather uninspired.

But what I found most offensive was the overuse of expository dialogue. BioWare made the fatal mistake of telling me the effect I was having on the galaxy, rather than showing me. The fact that I am constantly being told by NPCs of my past deeds and how they have changed events was quite frankly insulting. It was especially bad during the encounter with the First Son (which was a major anti-climax in and of itself - really, a random cave is where my final showdown takes place?).

On the other hand, I did rather enjoy the Rift Alliance portion, as I found the various personalities of the Rift to be a nice change of pace from the very formulaic first chapter. Still, I would've preferred investigating mysteries of the Force (you know, like the class story was described as) rather than being a gofer.