Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler Companions and Glitches [Spoilers In Here)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Smuggler Companions and Glitches [Spoilers In Here)

VodkaGimlet
01.28.2012 , 09:39 PM | #1
I am sure I am not the first to think that a few of the Smuggler's companions don't really make a lot of sense. Corso, Risha, C2N2, and Bowdaar all fit into the Smuggler's storyline. At some level, the Smuggler assists each one of these people with achieving freedom, their life long goal, or were installed on his ship and therefore - serves the captain.

These, to me, are the most interesting members of your own crew. You get to know them over the length of a world and genuinely seem to have a draw to the Smuggler.

Then we come to the rest of them.

1) Akaavi Spar - I'm not entirely sure where this character came from. Clearly, at some point in the development cycle, Bioware decided that everyone was going to get a staple of their class system (Range DPS, Range Tank, Melee DPS, Melee Tank, + Misc). With the previous three companions taking their appropriate positions within that class system it seems that the Smuggler was missing Melee DPS. Akaavi was someone's final answer, though I don't think it was the first one suggested. I think this because Akaavi just kind of...shows up. Not a lot of story, just appears at Balmora seemingly running for the same Moff you are. With no real explanation (or reasoning explained), she joins your crew with the superficial hope of hitting back against the Empire who slaughtered her clan. This lasts all of one or two conversations, then she joins. Not to mention she has the personality of a cardboard cutout.

1.a) Nariel (The Female Jedi from Tatooine) - This is who I think, originally, Bioware was going to be the Melee DPS solution. Notice that you meet Nariel in the first leg of Tatooine and her interaction stretches across the entire planet. Her goals even seem to rival yours, in that you are both hunting down people from the same faction. Even the interaction with the Smuggler makes a lot more sense as you are able to [Flirt] with Nariel from the very beginning. I think Nariel was suppose to be a companion from the get go, assigned to the Smuggler to monitor his / her actions as a Privateer. It would have even given the Smuggler a great narrative foil to Risha. Risha provides a street smart femme fatale, while Nariel represents the naive behavior of a Jedi sheltered by the Council. Regardless, Nariel would have been a lot more interesting than Akaavi.

2) Gus Tuno - Here is a companion that had a great idea on paper, but never really took off in game. Think about it. A guy who flunked out of the Jedi academy as a Padawan and turned to a life of crime and abuses his Force abilities to make a quick buck. He gets wrapped up in the wrong crew on Hoth and ends up being saved by the Smuggler. He sees a better way to use his ability (profit AND safety) and joins up. It's such an interesting back story, but in execution falls flat. First and foremost, he has no Force abilities. He doesn't use a lightsaber. Instead, he's a 'Scoundrel Advanced Class' as a gameplay foil to Risha. It's great to have a healer that can do some damage, but in terms of gameplay he doesn't have much of a place. If a Smuggler goes Scoundrel then he or she will take a tank or damage dealer (Corso, Bowdarr, or Risha) and if he or she goes Gunslinger then he or she will likely take a tank (Corso or Bowdarr). This doesn't leave Gus with much to do other than the fact he COULD have been a Jedi, use Jedi equipment (with a Lightsaber) and provide an outlet for all of the Jedi gear that a Smuggler finds. Instead, he does none of this and just exists. Which is a shame, because a Mon Cal companion deserves better.

2.a) Ivory (Gangster on Belsavis) - Similar to Nariel, I think that Ivory was initially supposed to take the place of Gus Tuno. First, Ivory is clearly a Smuggler (though his advanced class is anyone's guess, you really only see him fire off a few blaster bolts in a cutscene). Second, Ivory is clearly a cut piece of narrative as he frequently glitches to the Smuggler Ship before you even hear of him or meet him. Ivory was sitting in my ship after Coruscant, unable to be interacted with. So, at some point in development, Bioware wanted Ivory to be a companion. This would have been great from a narrative perspective. Ivory, as Rogun the Butcher's mentor, could have led to an interesting plot where you use Rogun's own training against him. In fact, this led to my Light Side Smuggler's only Dark Side decision (keeping Ivory in his 'crew' if for no other reason than to justify the glitch that left him sitting on my ship anyway.

The way things were left, however, the Smuggler is left without Ivory for Gus and without Nariel for Akaavi. I think that Gus or Ivory are probably interchangeable, but losing a prospective Jedi for your crew for Akaavi is unforgivable. Mandalorians are essentially the 'Doth Raki' of the Star Wars universe. They're a race built on a single piece of armor in the Original Trilogy that were developed into Bioware's go-to bogeyman. Any heroic where the Republic citizens have been harmed, usually was the Mandalorians.

As it stands, the Smuggler ends up with not one, but two companions that use Medium Armor and Cunning as a main skill. Essentially gearing not one Smuggler, but three. Rather than the Smuggler able to stretch their legs, investigate other stats and equipment lines (and giving Smugglers a reason to hold onto other Orange equipment or learn different Crafting patterns), Bioware decided to give them their same class three times over.

There is a good chance this analysis is all wrong, but I feel that the Smuggler storyline missed some real opportunities to create lasting companion interactions that would rival the KOTOR storylines.

aironeousb
01.29.2012 , 02:16 AM | #2
I'm going to disagree with you on Guss and I know I'm not alone.
I'm saboteur and I stuck with Guss because he's got heals, stuns and a little bit of DPS.
I tried Risha and stuck with her for the longest time after Corso until I came to that beast in the cave on Hoth with 71k health that's guarding the datacron. I tried it twice with Risha and no luck.

I said what the heck and tried Guss and just walked backwards the whole time in the cave doing laps around it kiting him and silly Guss just stood in one place and cheer leaded me and healed me and stunned the beast every time I passed by. I completed it with no problem. Burned him all the way down and my "all in" was still on cooldown and my sabotage (not sabotage charge) was not useable for some reason (which I think might be a bug because I see it just sometimes turn off during a fight) so I was kiting this guy on mostly my worst attack after draining my energy and using up coolhead once.

That sold me on Guss.

gumbydpl
10.17.2012 , 09:25 AM | #3
Sorry to start grave digging, but I think this is a good topic.

I just got Guss and got off Hoth. Now I agree that it seems a little forced to get him on your squad I feel it does kind of fit with his personality. His whole world has been flipped upside down and he needs to find out what he is going to do. His personality seems like he gravitates towards strong leaders (which you are). And I think he really wants to thank you for saving his life several times.

As for Akaavi, I 100% agree with you that she seems forced in. Don't get me wrong, I love her and use her all the time. She is a wrecking ball that works great with me. But her motivation for joining up with me seems shoe horned in.

Gassygunslinger
10.17.2012 , 05:08 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by VodkaGimlet View Post

1) Akaavi Spar - Not to mention she has the personality of a cardboard cutout.
That made me laugh. Yeah. All I could think about were the Amazon women from Futurama.

If a Smuggler goes Scoundrel then he or she will take a tank or damage dealer (Corso, Bowdarr, or Risha) and if he or she goes Gunslinger then he or she will likely take a tank (Corso or Bowdarr).
Eeeehhh.... No. Just... No. Guss in mediocre gear do wonders. I've found that David Bowiedaar and Corso Buzzkill Riggs still tank like wet tissue paper even in epic gear. With Guss along, I can use the "set it and forget it" combat style. Basically, I start combat, I go get a beer, I come back still alive. If you stay in cover and keep melee mobs from you, Guss can turn you into a DPS + Tank.

As it stands, the Smuggler ends up with not one, but two companions that use Medium Armor and Cunning as a main skill. Essentially gearing not one Smuggler, but three. Rather than the Smuggler able to stretch their legs, investigate other stats and equipment lines (and giving Smugglers a reason to hold onto other Orange equipment or learn different Crafting patterns), Bioware decided to give them their same class three times over.
I believe Trooper has 4 or 5 companions that use Aim. And it's fantastic because that means you can give them all of your old gear. It's a lot simpler that way. Also, remember that when you're level 50 and getting epic gear, chances are you aren't going to be flush with gear for other classes. Well, without aggravating your group members by rolling on gear for other classes....
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

Canino
10.17.2012 , 05:18 PM | #5
Akaavi's personality is a little boring at times, and some times I regret romancing Risha, and then picking her again in the romance choice after doing Akaavi's romance a bit. But really, once you go into her affection levels, she has a really sad tale, and portrays it well when you think about it. Clan killed, lover a wimp (which is unbelievable for a mando), and betrayed by someone in her clan, you would probably block out motion too. It's a great story, and I don't even have max affection with her. Near the 8500 mark.
STATEMENT: I'm just a simple assassin...I mean bodyguard, master. You have nothing to fear.
---------

ThatGnome
10.18.2012 , 05:43 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Gassygunslinger View Post
I believe Trooper has 4 or 5 companions that use Aim. And it's fantastic because that means you can give them all of your old gear. It's a lot simpler that way. Also, remember that when you're level 50 and getting epic gear, chances are you aren't going to be flush with gear for other classes. Well, without aggravating your group members by rolling on gear for other classes....
In my experience with a Trooper, having four companions (Aric, Elara, Tanno, Yuun - not 4X) all using Heavy Aim armour is a significant advantage. Gear can be swapped around between them easily if you want one for a particular, unless you're particularly fussy about the differences between dps/tank/heal gear. And since my Trooper is an Armormech, it's great to only worry about one type of gear.

The disadvantage is that most of the armor that drops randomly is useless to the character. For some classes with their varied group of companions, nearly everything that drops has some use.

bahdasz
10.19.2012 , 05:06 PM | #7
Believe it or not, you not liking the story line of your companion is not a glitch... it's an opinion.

A glitch is something like it resets in the middle of combat or some of it's abilities don't work.

And seriously, who gives a crap? I could have just walked up to a wall and pushed a button and got a message "there's another companion available for you to use now" and I'd have been happy. Their roles are the only thing about them that determines if they're even worth ever pulling out for anything other than crafting anyway.