Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular for roleplaying?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular for roleplaying?

Rawestforest's Avatar


Rawestforest
01.28.2012 , 07:31 PM | #1
I've been trying to make up my mind which one to choose, but I can't seem to. I'm not very good at Star Wars lore (All I know is Great War happened about 10 years ago.), but I love the Jedi idea and concept, and their lore, but was wondering which one would be better for roleplaying.

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
01.28.2012 , 07:43 PM | #2
It depents on what you want:

Tell me a bit about the character you want to roleplay and a will tell you who fits better.

If your character was one of the characters from the movies, who would he be?
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Rawestforest's Avatar


Rawestforest
01.28.2012 , 07:55 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
It depents on what you want:

Tell me a bit about the character you want to roleplay and a will tell you who fits better.

If your character was one of the characters from the movies, who would he be?
I'd say General Grievous, but I don't see that happening ever X3

I'd have to say Mace Windu.

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
01.28.2012 , 08:03 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Rawestforest View Post
I'd say General Grievous, but I don't see that happening ever X3

I'd have to say Mace Windu.
OK, so then you should play a Jedi Knight. The JK is a Warrior, a very good fighter, skilled with the lightsaber. He wants to save the republic and defeat the Empire.

(The Jedi Consular is more the wise character with incredible Force powers. more like yoda.)
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Rawestforest's Avatar


Rawestforest
01.28.2012 , 08:06 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
OK, so then you should play a Jedi Knight. The JK is a Warrior, a very good fighter, skilled with the lightsaber. He wants to save the republic and defeat the Empire.

(The Jedi Consular is more the wise character with incredible Force powers. more like yoda.)
Ah, I kinda see now. I've heard a few things about the JK class about them being the most underpowered class and general hate. Know why?

Also, know any good roleplaying realms?

drfumblez's Avatar


drfumblez
01.28.2012 , 08:09 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
OK, so then you should play a Jedi Knight. The JK is a Warrior, a very good fighter, skilled with the lightsaber. He wants to save the republic and defeat the Empire.

(The Jedi Consular is more the wise character with incredible Force powers. more like yoda.)
For RP, Both are equal. The question is, do you want Knight (save galaxy, be a hero, all that smuck) or Consular (wise wizard, finding ancient secrets, diplomat)?

It's honestly a matter of Preference.
Quick warning, though, for Knight: the Plot barely cares what your alignment is. At least, not a much as the other classes.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rawestforest View Post
Ah, I kinda see now. I've heard a few things about the JK class about them being the most underpowered class and general hate. Know why?

Also, know any good roleplaying realms?
No clue on role-playing realms, but the reason everyone hates on JK/SW is because the most iconic classes in the game are the hardest to effectively play. If you are not on the ball with most of your abilities, you WILL die. A lot.
Take it from a lvl 50 Sentinel. If you do not like hard work, or a lot of buttons, don't bother with the Knight.

Rawestforest's Avatar


Rawestforest
01.28.2012 , 08:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by drfumblez View Post
Quick warning, though, for Knight: the Plot barely cares what your alignment is. At least, not a much as the other classes.
What about Consular? How dependant on your alignment is it?

Quote: Originally Posted by drfumblez View Post
No clue on role-playing realms, but the reason everyone hates on JK/SW is because the most iconic classes in the game are the hardest to effectively play. If you are not on the ball with most of your abilities, you WILL die. A lot.
Take it from a lvl 50 Sentinel. If you do not like hard work, or a lot of buttons, don't bother with the Knight.
How many buttons are we talking about? And how hard of the works. Watched some videos, seemed fun.

drfumblez's Avatar


drfumblez
01.28.2012 , 08:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rawestforest View Post
What about Consular? How dependant on your alignment is it?



How many buttons are we talking about? And how hard of the works. Watched some videos, seemed fun.
I haven't played enough of Consular, but I suspect that it's a little more so than the Knight.

About 7-8 buttons you'll push repeatedly, with another 12-16+ occasionally. It's a very intensive class. If you have a mouse that you can map keybinds too, rest assured, you will be using every button.
I spend more time looking at my action bar, than I do at the actual fighting.

Rawestforest's Avatar


Rawestforest
01.28.2012 , 08:50 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by drfumblez View Post
About 7-8 buttons you'll push repeatedly, with another 12-16+ occasionally. It's a very intensive class. If you have a mouse that you can map keybinds too, rest assured, you will be using every button.
I spend more time looking at my action bar, than I do at the actual fighting.
Doesn't look good o.O I have little experience with keybinding and macros. D: I'll be the worst Jedi in the game then :[ Plus, I usually click on abilities that are out of my reach (6-= keys) guess I should learn or give up then :<

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
01.28.2012 , 08:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rawestforest View Post
What about Consular? How dependant on your alignment is it?
Only played act 1 (of 3) yet. Your alignment doesn't change the Story bosses but it changes how the story goes on after you have defeated them. So they sometimes show up on Holocomm and help you in finding...
If you kill them I guess you will have a hard time in justifying your actions for the council...

The Story itself is not that much affected. (I have to add, I only played Light Side. But it is not hard to figure out how it would have went if I were Dark Side.)


Quote:
How many buttons are we talking about? And how hard of the works. Watched some videos, seemed fun.
Well, I play a Sith Warrior without using buttons. So I die sometimes. Especially if I am not careful enough.
I spent more time looking at my action bar too.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall