Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Vanguard
Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

Taunque
01.29.2012 , 01:02 PM | #31
You mentioned something about the endurance stim, but would you consider the crit stim in some situations? As for adrenals, I assume you prefer crit?

Necksbro
01.29.2012 , 02:21 PM | #32

Fafryd
01.29.2012 , 04:36 PM | #33
I've been holding off spending my BM commendations until I finalised on a build. I currently run assault/tactics quite effectively. One of the key reasons for holding off buying BM gear is I'm curious about running an ion cell/guard build, like this one, and then wondering if it better to run a BM Supercommando set bonus with the lower mods replaced with crit/surge/power. That is, 5% boost to the damage of anything while guard is active. Thoughts?

taugrimtaugrim
01.29.2012 , 05:17 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Taunque View Post
You mentioned something about the endurance stim, but would you consider the crit stim in some situations?
It depends on your stats.

Crit Rating as with all secondary stats have diminishing returns. Endurance scales HP linearly. There's a part in my Guide where I talk about soft caps and link to some good info about stats DR.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

taugrimtaugrim
01.29.2012 , 05:21 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Fafryd View Post
I'm curious about running an ion cell/guard build, like this one, and then wondering if it better to run a BM Supercommando set bonus with the lower mods replaced with crit/surge/power. That is, 5% boost to the damage of anything while guard is active. Thoughts?
What I plan to do when I hit Valor 60 (three more to go) is buy the BM Combat Tech pieces and remaining BM pieces from CT, Elim, and Medic depending on the stats. Eventually when I have a full set of offensive gear for my IF spec, I'll pick up 4 set pieces of Supercommando to experiment with swapping out the Defense/Shield-related mods for DPS ones.

The 4-pc set bonus for the tanking set is really good for group play but what I am unclear on is whether the bonus applies when your Guarded friendly is > 15m away.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Fafryd
01.29.2012 , 05:35 PM | #36
I've been curious on that limitation also - would be more comforting if it said while ion cell is active. I guess a Supercommando 4pc set equipped player could test it in Ilum pretty easily by guarding a target, testing baseline damage and then moving that guarded player away before testing damage again. I have Eliminator and CT armor but not Supercommando so cannot test it myself (I may have enough spare commendations to buy it and try though if I found a friendly Imp).

taugrimtaugrim
01.29.2012 , 05:49 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Fafryd View Post
I've been curious on that limitation also - would be more comforting if it said while ion cell is active. I guess a Supercommando 4pc set equipped player could test it in Ilum pretty easily by guarding a target, testing baseline damage and then moving that guarded player away before testing damage again. I have Eliminator and CT armor but not Supercommando so cannot test it myself (I may have enough spare commendations to buy it and try though if I found a friendly Imp).
Yea what I may do if I get enough duplicate Champ drops is get 4-pc Supercommando just to find out.

If the answer is yes you get the bonus even when you are > 15m from your Guarded target, you could even do things while soloing such as Guard an NPC in a spawn point before heading out into Ilum to fight.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Kilokov
01.29.2012 , 06:26 PM | #38
I've been thinking about going into this build for a while now, but I'm trying to figure out how this build would be better than the Parakeet.

How would you say this build stacks up against the Carolina Parakeet?

The Parakeet build offers a ranged DoT (handy for objective modes), and the ability to apply multiple HIBs one right after another. Would you say the utility offered by going down the Tactics tree offers more benefits?

happyhappyjoy
01.29.2012 , 08:09 PM | #39
I tried this build. I didn't like it.

I like having 2 percent mitigation in shield tree and 2 percent mitigation in the tactics tree. I generally agree that 2 seconds off riot strike cd is great.

That said, I feel like it is way less damage than 23/0/18 or 21/2/18. You have nothing good to use when you are further than 10m away. You get a bit more mitigation with 25/14/2 - 2 percent more, but you give up way too much. If you go 18 into assault you have to waste some points buffing plasma cell but you get a ranged attack that prevents node caps for 15 seconds and allows you to use HIB. You also get free HIB's that will hit for 3k or more.

The biggest problem with tactics is that Gut is so meh...

I'm 8/2/31 right now. My highest hit in every warzone is 4,000 to 4,500. Often times an Assault Plastique will crit at the same time as a Stockstrike or a High Impact Bolt. If those things occur at the same time you can literally do 10k damage in 2 seconds.

I'm finding there are few players/characters that burst well in this game. Operatives/Scoundrels can and we can. We have way more utility and survive better. I rolling with only 16k health right now because I've been pulling crit/surge enhancements out of champion pieces and putting them in my combat tech set. However, I still feel like I'm contributing more because I'm the guy that can actually kill a healer.

Always appreciate your work Taugrim. I tried this spec out and it wasn't for me.

Battlemaster Hayduke Smith
INFANTRY
Adjunta Pall

Shaady
01.29.2012 , 08:58 PM | #40
Hey, met you briefly on rift on the sunrest server.

Anyways I decided to pick up this spec (except I tweaked it a bit) because my vanguards finally getting some more gear, and I really haven't seen another tanking class beat me in dmg and protection since.

Also I was wondering, what has been your top protection? I'm not to geared and i hit 132k, but I have yet to see another tank hit that amount. IDK if its because I switch around guard religiously or what, but i was wondering what your top was since your obviously further along gear wise than I am.

TY again for the build, poor sith hate it :P
Shaad - Vanguard Tank
<Reckless>