Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

taugrimtaugrim
01.28.2012 , 11:52 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Lildenjin View Post
What main crew skill do you run? I went with cybertech but I am really itching to switch to bio.
Biochem even with the nerf in 1.1 is still the best for PVP - the Endurance stim alone is amazing.

I have Cybertech and am considering dropping it for Bio, but it means I'd have to re-level to 400 so I'm going to hold off until I have a lot of coin.

I do love the mod crafting and earrings for Cybertech though.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

taugrimtaugrim
01.29.2012 , 12:00 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by iWopo View Post
For your bracers, belt, etc... do you go with the Medic items for the +Crit or the Eliminator items for the +Power
The only piece from the Combat Medic items worth taking is the Bracers. Stay away from the +Alacrity pieces.

I got the Combat Medic Bracers.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

AStryg
01.29.2012 , 01:35 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Taunque View Post
Nice movie, but I'm blown away that you got to play Huttball with another Republic team!

On what server is there enough Republic to actually have same-faction Huttball? My queue times are 15-20 minutes because there's not enough Republic to fill a single game. And this is on weekends during prime time!
LOL @ this. I actually played my first rep vs rep last night. Was stunned when I found out it was a rep team!

But anyways I was playing this spec and it seems awesome. Really missed the 2% reduction when I played 21/2/18.
Recon baby

Evuo
01.29.2012 , 01:55 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by taugrimtaugrim View Post
The only piece from the Combat Medic items worth taking is the Bracers. Stay away from the +Alacrity pieces.

I got the Combat Medic Bracers.
This changes slightly with battlemaster gear.

The battlemaster's combat medic implants have crit and surge, the bracers have power, and the belt has crit.

taugrimtaugrim
01.29.2012 , 04:13 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuo View Post
This changes slightly with battlemaster gear.

The battlemaster's combat medic implants have crit and surge, the bracers have power, and the belt has crit.
OK thanks.

I had assumed the different tiers had the same stats just different quantities of them.

3 more Valor levels to go for BM!
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Soulmourne
01.29.2012 , 06:52 AM | #26
Hi Taugrim.
Id like to thank you for the nice vids and information gathering youve done regarding the Vanguard/Powertech class. Its been a pleasure to read/watch through, aswell as feeding ones own ideas with skill builds or tweaks to them.

I also find it quite nice that your "Iron Fist" build is a viable success in WZ. Been playing around with the excact same build more or less - though i know ill stick with 2 points in Shield Cycler instead of Smoke Bomb. To damn many hotkey´s for an oldtimer like me .
I must admit i might have picked Containment Tactics over Power Armor - Since i tend to need it while its still on cooldown.

But i can see your point with all the passive damage reduction - and with the more or less "new" lvl 50 WZ bracket - more survivability aint a bad thing - especially when i havent reached 50 yet. Lvl 39 atm.

All in all, keep up the good work, its appreciated.
Previous : Vanguard - Frell - Lord Calypho
Current : Vanguard - Authorization - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

MeanMartian
01.29.2012 , 07:15 AM | #27
Hmm, it is clear that you have a strong grasp of your class, the conditions in PVP, and the way to synergize talents for the maximum given effect. Your video showed an interesting different range of situations and gives the viewer a complete idea of all that your spec is capable of.

On the other hand, you did not make a video of your character naked in PVP. Just saying.
I don't care what you believe unless you can tell me why you believe it.

Husofanten
01.29.2012 , 09:24 AM | #28
So on what stats should I focus with this build?

aim>endurance>crit>power>accuray?

right now I was all about

edurance>aim>defense>absorb>shield

taugrimtaugrim
01.29.2012 , 10:26 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Soulmourne View Post
I must admit i might have picked Containment Tactics over Power Armor - Since i tend to need it while its still on cooldown.
Understood, spec'ing is all about tradeoffs.

I used Containment Tactics while leveling from 10-49 PVP, but I found that once I got the PBAoE stun Neural Surge, the talent became less valuable.

Quote: Originally Posted by Soulmourne View Post
But i can see your point with all the passive damage reduction - and with the more or less "new" lvl 50 WZ bracket - more survivability aint a bad thing - especially when i havent reached 50 yet. Lvl 39 atm.
Keep in mind that talents such as Power Armor are not affected by diminishing returns, and mitigation becomes more valuable the more you have.

Without points in the two 2% mitigation talents, my mitigation against Energy and Kinetic attacks is 45.5% from Armor and the tanking stance, so I suffer 54.5 points of damage out of every 100.

With Iron Fist, the mitigation increases to 49.5%, so I suffer 50.5 points of damage out of every 100.

Which means that a non-IF tank spec is going to take 7.9% (4 / 50.5) more damage than an IF build. The difference is significant and very noticeable in PVP.

By the same token, the damage that a non-IF spec takes from Elemental and Internal damage compared to an IF spec is > 4%.

I.e. non-IF in tank stance has 5% mitigation against those damage types, and IF has 9%. So 95 damage taken vs 91 damage taken, or an increase of 4.4%.

When you factor in the +10% mitigation buff from Sages (I think it's theirs), the gap between non-IF and IF tank specs widens to 4.9% (4 / 81).

And the above percentages again increase when you factor in the 4% damage debuff we apply to opponents with Ion Pulse and Explosive Surge.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

taugrimtaugrim
01.29.2012 , 10:32 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Husofanten View Post
So on what stats should I focus with this build?

aim>endurance>crit>power>accuray?

right now I was all about

edurance>aim>defense>absorb>shield
For Iron Fist, you want to focus on offensive stats not defensive ones, especially with the limitations for Defense, Shield Chance / Absorption in PVP.

This is all covered in my in-depth Guide.

Here is a link to the relevant section for PVP stats:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-...-and-pvp#stats

And here is a link to my article on the limitations for Defense and Shield mechanics in PVP, which was also stickied on the SWTOR tanking forum:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/unders...-tanks-in-pvp/
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com