Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

Ghettogoatboy
02.04.2012 , 01:41 PM | #111
One issue i am having with the gear options BW gives us, the extremely large amount of accuracy on every DPS battlemaster mod/enhancement. For a pvp tanking spec, i am currently trying subbing in some of the champion glove crit/surge mods in place of the the higher item level, battlemaster accuracy mods. I think substituting the effective DPS statistics will be worth the minute loss of End/Aim.

Azesino
02.04.2012 , 01:59 PM | #112
How is this spec for 1v1 world pvp? can it kill any class in 1v1? or is it better for wz?

Maxith
02.04.2012 , 02:15 PM | #113
Hi Taug, Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your vids and your well thought out information on this class, I was running a spec very simular to iron fist before you came out with this but the few small changes you made over mine have still made a difference
Keep up the good work bro!

Xxyn
02.04.2012 , 02:24 PM | #114
The reason I made the spec is that there are a lot of shield specs. I happen to like Yojack's shield spec best. There aren't a lot of non-shield specs. I don't like the 1/22/18 because I don't like Gut. Also, a couple of the ops guilds that I run with have plenty of tanks, so I have to be able to switch to dps. None of these shield spec builds offers acceptable (enrage timer) pve dps.
As far as tanking, I've tanked hardmode ops in this using crafted pve gear.

I do miss Storm, primarily in Huttball, and I did like the +10% shield talent. This spec does have lower survivability, but on my server we have dozens of battlemaster sith (thx for the ilum fail, Bioware!) and the sorcs just cut right through my shield spec defensive dude no matter what I did. I have 2 full suits of champ.

Thanks for posting the video I'm looking forward to watching it.

Mordegar
02.04.2012 , 08:11 PM | #115
Ironfist is much like the 23/0/18 Shadow hybrid Tank Spec., you can take and still do a ******** of kinetic damage and due to the nature of ion cell deal a good ammount of damage with all of your shots while you recharge your cells.

It's the best 1 on 1 Spec i've found so far on the Vanguard for PvP.

Azesino
02.04.2012 , 08:36 PM | #116
Can u beat Any class with this spec? Assuming same skill-gear

gofortheko
02.04.2012 , 09:33 PM | #117
Don't like the spec. Shield cycled is useless, as is Defensive measures. I would take the extra armor and absorb from rebraced armor and Ceramic plating. Static field and smoke grenade equally useless. Blaster Augs is a must if you go second tier tactics. Tactical tools is bunk, rather have more end.
Weapon-of War
Juggernaut:Sentinel:Operative:Sage:Commando:Shadow :Guardian
Guild: Ghost Infantry Server: The Harbinger

taugrimtaugrim
02.04.2012 , 10:46 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghettogoatboy View Post
One issue i am having with the gear options BW gives us, the extremely large amount of accuracy on every DPS battlemaster mod/enhancement. For a pvp tanking spec, i am currently trying subbing in some of the champion glove crit/surge mods in place of the the higher item level, battlemaster accuracy mods. I think substituting the effective DPS statistics will be worth the minute loss of End/Aim.
That approach makes sense.

Quote: Originally Posted by Azesino View Post
How is this spec for 1v1 world pvp? can it kill any class in 1v1? or is it better for wz?
This spec does well in 1v1's against DPS or tanks. IMO assuming equal gear/skill, a healer should be able to outlast or turtle/kite a DPS or tank.

It works well in warzones due to its durability, Guard capability, mobility via charge, solid DPS, and CC capability.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mordegar View Post
Ironfist is much like the 23/0/18 Shadow hybrid Tank Spec., you can take and still do a ******** of kinetic damage and due to the nature of ion cell deal a good ammount of damage with all of your shots while you recharge your cells.

It's the best 1 on 1 Spec i've found so far on the Vanguard for PvP.
Yea, that's been my experience as well.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

Cheeseblaster
02.04.2012 , 10:51 PM | #119
I apologize if you went over this already, but what was the reasoning behind not putting any points in blaster augs?
"This is war not kindergarten, suck it up"

taugrimtaugrim
02.04.2012 , 10:55 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by gofortheko View Post
Don't like the spec.
It's not for everyone.

That being said, your comments indicate that you may have some misconceptions about a few key mechanics around Armor and Shield. I'll get to that later.

Shield cycled is useless, as is Defensive measures.
Fine re: Shield Cycler.

The root effect on our pull and stealth detect both rock IMO in PVP.

If you don't value roots, then the talent will seem valueless to you. I've found them invaluable for preventing runners, peeling for a node cap, pulling opponents into green/red pits, etc.

Btw fellow Vanguards: one clever thing you can do with the root effect, if your charge is on cooldown, is use your pull to root a Resolve-immune target.

I would take the extra armor and absorb from rebraced armor and Ceramic plating. Static field and smoke grenade equally useless.
Fine re: Smoke Grenade, given it's situational.

The 4% damage debuff is a great talent.

It many situations it provides more mitigation than Rebraced Armor, given that Armor only works against 2 of the 4 damage types where it provides a low single-digit increase in mitigation.

Read this to understand the mechanics of Rebraced Armor:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/27/iron-f.../#comment-7211

The absorption talent is weak in PVP as I've documented in detail elsewhere:
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/unders...-tanks-in-pvp/

Blaster Augs is a must if you go second tier tactics. Tactical tools is bunk, rather have more end.
Blaster Augs is a trap for players running the tanking stance. 8% of a modest damage ability is not worth the point.

You don't seem to value pulls. Having a shorter-cooldown pull has been incredible for skirmish PVP and thinning out opponents to break them in World PVP. And it's amazing in Huttball.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster