Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Way to adjust the difficulty of storyline bosses

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Way to adjust the difficulty of storyline bosses

Freor
01.27.2012 , 09:04 AM | #1
Something that has started to bother me, is that at least some of the storyline bosses (have experience from playing sage to Voss and Guardian to Taris) are way too easy to beat, even if being below their level. Since these bosses tend to be the super evul siths/traitors/etc that you have chased through the planet/multiple planets, it's a bit... unrewarding to have them fall in literally 30 seconds and never going below 75% health yourself.

Some of the best and most rewarding/fun fights I've had:
Spoiler

On the other hand, for example these have been laughably easy:
Spoiler

Reading the forums I've seen people complaining about same thing. There are however also those who struggle with these fights for whatever reason. Since BW has obviously taken the approach to make the content suited for the average player (and that's just fine, more players in game = good for everyone), making them harder would obviously upset quite many. What I'd like to suggest is balancing the bosses so that testing would show them to give nice challenge for even a bit more experienced/skilled/well-equipped players wanting them to actually feel challenging. To not block advancement/ruin experience for others, there could be a way to for example reduce the number of tricks the boss does, say a npc gives you a device that blocks certain attacks.

The difficulty of the storyline, especially bosses, also becomes an important thing when BW continues the class stories (March?). You'll then have people who have obtained the best possible gear during these waiting months, and those who can only play 30 mins a day and have just then recently hit 50. If you go midway, some will still strugle while the better equipped/etc players find the content way too easy/unrewarding.

Adding something like this would basically allow the same content to be rewarding for all players, with the only extra work being a way to reduce some of the tricks the bosses do. Alternatively, if you feel something like this would be "too elitist", make it the other way around - let the bosses be on easy-mode as default, but allow a way to make them harder.

Lastly, I'd like to point out my post is not meant to be about bragging or in any way directed against those that have harder time with quests. It's just that with so large playerbase, there will be people who find the content either too easy or too hard. Something like this could help with that, allowing basically the same content to be rewarding/challenging/fun for wider variety of players, with very little extra development work.

Freor
01.31.2012 , 10:44 AM | #2
Some more bosses down on my new sage, really disappointing to see how weak they all are. One of the at least somewhat challenging ones has been nerfed as well:

Spoiler

Maybe it's too difficult to add options afterwards for these existing stories, but please, when new story-content arrives, give some kind of option to make at least the bosses challenging for everyone. It's hard to "feel like a hero" when the big baddies go down just like regular elites

And as I said earlier: I'm not asking to make them too hard/impossible for less experienced/skilled/equipped players. Just an option for those who want/need it.

FooBard
01.31.2012 , 11:36 AM | #3
For experienced players, who know how to get good gear... and use "all" of their skills to their maximum potential.... and designing a story line boss for "solo" content....

The experienced player just has to suck it up and face the fact that this isn't going to be a challenge.

There are a lot of players who don't maximize their characters potential and thus these fights are, in some cases, severly challenging.

I'm NOT in favor of ramping up difficulty for these players...

That said, making the boss difficulty dymanic for the player is just not something done in video games.

If YOU want to make the fight more challenging... try using a crappy companion with crap gear that hasn't been upgraded in 15 levels.

Freor
01.31.2012 , 11:53 AM | #4
Sadly it's not really the gear either, at least in my case atm. Just regular mission drops, some moddables/flashpoints loot. Nothing special. Not sure if you actually read my first post, but like i tried to make very clear, I'm also NOT suggesting ramping the difficulty and making progression too hard for some people. What I'm suggesting is making it OPTIONAL, so that players of more varying skill/equipment level would find the encounters fun and challenging.

As for your comment that games dont have dynamic difficulty bosses/encounters... hardmode flashpoints in swtor?

zevkesef
03.20.2012 , 06:26 PM | #5
Obviously this would take a long time to implement, but why not give class missions a Hard Mode? It defaults to "on" (since you wouldn't know it was too easy until you zerg it), and after you die in a class instance 2 or 3 times you get a notification suggesting you try it on non-HM. Perhaps the UI is just a button in the mission log.

The basic system is already in place since you can choose between NM or HM for FPs or OPs. It would probably take quite a while to tune every class instance like this, and obviously HM would still not be hard enough for some, but it would be a step in the right direction.
--------------
Grrrrr brrrrrAAAAAAHHHHHgggg wuurrrrggghh. Grrrrr brrrrrAAAAAAHHHHHgggg wuurrrrggghh.

(*KOTOR Wookie*)