Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to make operations a little harder

Sujimichi
01.27.2012 , 06:07 AM | #1
Take only 1 ranged with you. Seriously, on our server we have an extremely limited amount of people we can recruit from. This has resulted in us having to run operations with 1 ranged dps, 1 guardian dps, 2 sentinel dps and a shadow dps. Even thought all the bosses are pretty faceroll, it does make everything just a bit more complicated. I don't understand why any guild, if given the choice, would take even so much as 1 melee class with you.

EV

- Annihilation droid
Ranged doesn't have to move when he does his cone stun.

- Gharj
Ranged doesn't have to move when he's doing his pounce.

- Puzzle
Ranged can just stand at the controls and click when they can. Melee has to run from mobs and back to click.

- Council
Only "boss" i haven't found any advantages on..

- SOA
Much easier to dps the mind traps, much easier to burst on the shield-down phase. Melee only has a charge every 15-20 seconds.

KP

- Bonethrasher
Much easier to avoid swipe. Much easier to see who gets aggro, since you're spread out more than melee.

- Sorno and Jarg
Ranged can dps both bosses, melee shouldn't be near the ranged mob.

- Foreman crusher
Much easier to dps the adds as a ranged, especially if they run through the boss or are near the tank.

- G4 B3
Much easier to dps down proximity probes, much easier to have 3 dps doing the puzzle since they can so much easier switch to the boss.

- Karagga
Mouse droids are much easier to handle with ranged. If there's a gravity well on the melee, everybody gets pulled in. Ranged can spread out more.

I could honestly not think of a single fight where melee actually has an advantage over ranged. I guess for us, this is a blessing in disguise.. Normal mode and the hard modes we've done so far have been laughably easy. (with the sole exception of G4 B3, awesome fight even though we lacked ranged, making it a bit harder)
Isylia - lvl 50 guardian

GM of Distortion, PVE guild on the PVP realm Tott Doneeta

Iwipe
01.27.2012 , 06:59 AM | #2
Agree with all of the above, for the fight with the Fabricator we have our melee dps click on the consoles while the range stays up to DPS.

-Arcane-
01.27.2012 , 07:37 AM | #3
You talking about nightmare?

Melee have 100% uptime on fabricator

But to the op, so what?

Melee always have more mechanics to deal with and less uptimes on the boss, this is not new to this mmo.
Arcane Nerdherder - GM of Glory Guild on Niman
PvE Completion 10/10 Nightmare 16man - Videos

Gone to Play Diablo III, SWTOR failed.

JamieM
01.27.2012 , 07:41 AM | #4
Completely agree and it is sad that in order to make the ops harder you 'resort' to using more melee.

I play as a melee class and it is just depressing to see how second-rate we are in raids compared to ranged, both in terms of dps output and survivability. I am also genuinely amazed at how BioWare did not see this when they created and tested (?) these encounters. My only logical conclusion is that this is their attempt at balancing the melee against ranged users.

If so, that is just a terribly short sighted strategy.

Please BW, for the love of God, give melee DPS some genuine raid utility that will make us a competitive choice against ranged.

Oh and buff Guardians/Juggernauts while you're at it

Sujimichi
01.27.2012 , 09:04 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by -Arcane- View Post
Melee have 100% uptime on fabricator
Well whoopty********-doo, melee can dps the whole time on a boss. So does any ranged that isn't playing the puzzle. So there's no advantage for melee there either.

I'm not talking about nightmare, just the fights in general. A group can be severely gimped when they only have melee dps. In fact, we found out that the hardest part, by far, of EV hard mode, was the 2 turrets before the first boss (not counting SOA). Mainly because we only had 1 ranged dps.
Isylia - lvl 50 guardian

GM of Distortion, PVE guild on the PVP realm Tott Doneeta

Stathor
01.30.2012 , 09:27 AM | #6
Well this makes me mad, as a recent 50 Assassin, I just started doing my dailys and have yet to do any FP's/OPs.
I certainly don't want to be seen as the gimp of the group, It's like being back in school and getting picked last for a team, you were only picked because there was no one else left.

Dee-Jay
01.30.2012 , 09:39 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Stathor View Post
Well this makes me mad, as a recent 50 Assassin, I just started doing my dailys and have yet to do any FP's/OPs.
I certainly don't want to be seen as the gimp of the group, It's like being back in school and getting picked last for a team, you were only picked because there was no one else left.

If I could give one advice to new players joining this game then it would be to NOT role a melee class.

There are more than enough already and nobody wants you.

Rattius
01.30.2012 , 10:58 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sujimichi View Post
- Bonethrasher
Much easier to avoid swipe. Much easier to see who gets aggro, since you're spread out more than melee.
One thing this made me think of though is that we (Infiltrator DPS's) can DPS while on the move. It's my understanding that as a rule, ranged cannot. Then again, they usually don't have to joust and dance like we do so.. /shrug

- G4 B3
Much easier to dps down proximity probes, much easier to have 3 dps doing the puzzle since they can so much easier switch to the boss.
We're melee heavy, and while we can get it done, it's a genuine pita; to the point of being silly.

- Karagga
Mouse droids are much easier to handle with ranged. If there's a gravity well on the melee, everybody gets pulled in. Ranged can spread out more.
Moar jousting! Weeeee!

Rattius
01.30.2012 , 11:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by -Arcane- View Post
Melee always have more mechanics to deal with and less uptimes on the boss, this is not new to this mmo.
In many of those other titles however, melee has often had this fact offset by their ability to consistently top the parser while the ranged that can consistently be at or near the top the parsers are forced to wear the equivalent of a smoking jacket as armor.

imo, a heavy-armored toon standing 29.5 m away and being within 5% of the top of the parser is just wrong.

eNcFireWraith
01.30.2012 , 12:30 PM | #10
I agree that ranged have a huge advantage, but how would you fix that? It's hard to think of ways to give melee an advantage, or to even put them on the same playing field unless you just start axing mechanics and make everything a tank and spank.
-«« CONŠEMNEŠ »»-
A NA TEAM PVP & RAID FOCUSED GUILD
Θ SITE
POLICIES YOUTUBE Θ