Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there any deep water anywhere in this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is there any deep water anywhere in this game?

Zocat
01.27.2012 , 09:42 PM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by bliapis View Post
I remember at Vanilla days of WoW a group of guildies - undeads, orcs and etc - would hide under the water and come behind the unprepared Alliance.

Water is quite cool. you can fish too!
Warlock (?) buff. Swim to deep area. Summon random guys. Watch them drown while trying to swim to the surface.
Yes, we need swimming (and a summon spell) in this game!

Kaitayn
02.04.2012 , 10:14 AM | #192
I actually don't care too much about the mechanic of swimming, whether it is in game or not. What I do care about is consistency within a story. If the game programming doesn't allow for swimming and a quest scenario requires it (as it does in the Ord Mantel example) then the game should provide a way to accomplish the objective of getting across the river and performing an "amphibious assault" other than walking across sand bars that a non-swimming child could negotiate.

They don't have to implement swimming but perhaps include commandeering a ferry, or rubber boats, anything to be consistent with the story being told. Every author worth reading is concerned with internal consistency of their creation. This is why authors of shared universes put together guidelines for other authors to use, to help ensure that internal consistency.

Everyone seems to be arguing whether or not swimming is good or not. It doesn't matter, really. It's a subjective criteria - some like it, some don't. But I suspect most of us would at least like the story to be consistent with itself and having the story tell us that the water is deep and cannot be crossed by children when we just minutes before WALKED across it and stayed dry is rather ludicrous.

RowanThursday
02.04.2012 , 10:29 AM | #193
Actually, I'd much rather have spacewalking. Probably during the class missions, as they're the only ones afaik with an actual quest chain running uninterrupted from planet to planet, but suppose you had as your quest objective "Travel to Coruscant and then use your ship's intercom..." when you fired up your engines, instead of the normal 'fly to Coruscant then get pulled into the intercom communication, instead you suddenly got a 'wild explosions and klaxons' cut scene sequence, red emergency lights on all over your ship, and you then had to don a space suit, go to your ship exit and perform zero g maintenance on various hot-spots around the outside hull, whilst fending off some sort of attacking space fauna?... *and* with a countdown based on your oxygen supply.

Swimming is fun, but it always brings up the question of 'do I dive in fully dressed and feel a prat, or do I strip to the character's underthings and get lolled at by some passing player?'
"Next time you come to a rough choice in the dark, and think to yourself 'No one's gonna know'... imagine you've got yourself a mirror and hold it up, think like you're lookin' in the glass. That's who's gonna know."
-- Captain Melody January of the Freighter Hestia's Dawn.

Seeiphiel
02.04.2012 , 10:33 AM | #194
Hope they add some deep water in the game. Nothing wrong with subaquatic action and exploration imo.