Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Better results?

psheets
01.26.2012 , 09:26 PM | #1
I just finished leveling my Sent to 35 to get my legacy title, and while I loved the story and companions it is just to little pay off for so much put in gameplay wise. I can master my rotation and take down a group of enemies with a couple strongs in it and end up with 25% health only to watch a trooper come by and blow another group up in half the time.

I say this so it frames my question....

1) are assassins better pve soloers than knights in general?

2) Do you have much in the way of AOE later on?

Thank you for any insight!

Sabbathius
01.26.2012 , 10:52 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by psheets View Post
In my opinion, no. I can't really speak for Jugg, he's only in high 20s. But as Marauder, I absolutely slaughter things in PvE. It's quite laughable how quickly enemies die.

My Mara is actually half a level below my Sin right now. And when I type /played, his time is 15 hrs less. That's quite a bit.

But keep in mind, Sith Warriors get their healer companion very early in the game. While Sith Assassin has to wait until way later. It makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Again, no.

You get Lacerate, which is an AoE melee attack. It does about the same damage as single swing of Thrash (Thrash does two swings). But where Thrash costs 25 Energy, Lacerate costs 40. Do it three times, and you're out. And all you did is the damage equivalent of one and a half Thrashes.

You can also spec into Madness and get Death Field, but it's not that amazing and has a 15 sec cooldown. Discharge is also AoE, but again not particularly amazing.

Don't get me wrong, you CAN AoE, but it's not even close to what a Sorcerer or Bounty Hunter can do. And in my opinion Marauder at least has way better AoE as well - talented Sweeping Slash costs only 1 rage, with lowest tier talent in Annihilation tree, means you can spam it until cows come home, and Smash is very decent AoE, and if you spec Rage you can get guaranteed crits with it, you can almost wipe out entire packs basically in one hit.

That's just my opinion though.

In terms of fun and speed of leveling, I would rank classes as follows:
Sorcerer - obscenely overpowered and ludicrously easy to play
Marauder - stupidly high damage, very fast pace, great grinder
Mercenary - stupidly powerful damage, but boring as hell.
Powertech - pretty decent damage, a lot less boring.
Juggernaut - still high damage, but feels vanilla somehow.
Assassin - OK damage, OK tanking, awful companion selection early on cripples leveling.
Operative - managing energy and tactical advantage, but very high burst, at least for now (nerf coming next patch).
Sniper - my least played class, really can't comment. Got to low 20s and felt like if I didn't stop I'd have to shoot myself pretty soon, so I stopped.

psheets
01.27.2012 , 10:21 AM | #3
Thanks for the response Sab. That list is kind of what I was hoping to see, even if it is based on opinion it is still a good benchmark for the classes. I might go the sorc route for now since I would like to enjoy the class I am playing for a while after my sent.

Thanks again for the insight!

RedMix
01.27.2012 , 02:13 PM | #4
Stealthing through dallies makes it all worth it as an assassin.

alement
01.27.2012 , 02:22 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by psheets View Post

Thank you for any insight!
I have a different insight, I guess. It really depends on your playstyle. I'm having more trouble PvEing on my level 24 marauder than I did my Assassin. However, I fair pretty well in PvP with my Marauder.

Assassin seems to be a very "finesse" class.

AoE - depends on your spec. You get Lacerate and Overload, and if you spec Madness, you get Death Field, which is an excellent skill.
Alementy- 55 Assassin, Darkness Spec.
GreenishSage. 55 Sorceror, Corruption spec,