Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question: Explain "Need vs Greed"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Question: Explain "Need vs Greed"

RenegadeRed
12.14.2011 , 10:48 PM | #1
Explain in DETAIL the Need/Greed system of loot distribution. What are the consequences of each choice? What about "Reverse Engineering"? What are some alternatives to Need/Greed that are available?

Cyberqat
12.14.2011 , 10:54 PM | #2
One thing that is not obvious in the interface is that its actually a need/greed/pass system.

If you click the close X on the need/greed box, its a "pass" which puts you at a lower priority then any need or greed.
Do you believe that "in-game" is synonymous with "in-character"? Do you hate "god-modders", "plotting" and drama-queens?
Then you may be one of the few, the proud, the members of the Pen and Paper Roleplay Society.

Vendectra
12.14.2011 , 10:59 PM | #3
Pick need if you it's a piece you're going to wear right on the spot. Not your companion, not your guild friend; just you, yourself, and no one else. Also, it's something you're going to literally win and put on right on the spot, not 2 levels later.

Pick greed if you intend to sell the item and make some cash off of it.

Pick reverse engineer if you're planning on doing just that.

There are no consiquences for picking need when you don't need an item aside from people getting pissed off at you and just chosing not to game with you anymore or possibly just kick you out of the team. However, if it were up to the majority, death monkeys would jump through your window, stab you fifty-seven times, then proceed to find your lineage and destroy them.

FantasyMeister
12.14.2011 , 11:02 PM | #4
From the Game Manual:

Loot Rolls

When the group picks up a unique item, by default, all members have the opportunity to roll for the item. When an item is put up for a roll, a window appears displaying the item. A green meter counts down how much time you have to roll for the item. Select NEED or GREED to roll for the item, and a random number is generated for every group member. The player with the highest number is awarded the item. If you want a good chance at securing the item, select NEED. Otherwise, choose GREED if you want to give the other members a better chance at obtaining the item.
Loot Options

The group leader can adjust how the party handles looting.

Free for All: Loot is gathered on a first come, first serve basis.
Round Robin: Group members alternate looting items.
Loot Threshold: Select the item quality type that initiates a loot roll. Choose from Premium, Prototype, Artifact, and Legendary item types.
Loot Master: Allows a group leader to have complete control over loot distribution.

Basically, if the group leader has set the loot threshold to Premium or better, every time a green item drops everyone in the group can roll for it. If you roll need, and everyone else rolls greed, need takes priority everytime, even if your need roll was a 1 and someone else's greed roll was 1343.

If people then argue because you need rolled on a Blaster, and you're a Sith Warrior, it's the group leader's fault for not informing everyone in advance that everyone has to roll greed on everything.

If you then continue to roll need on everything, you'll probably end up being called a ninja (loot stealer) and getting kicked.

Reverse Engineering is not an excuse for need rolling all the time. Just because you can reverse engineer an item doesn't mean that someone else can't use it themselves or sell it for credits.

When it comes to endgame, everyone should follow the Group Leader's instructions on what they should roll, and if unclear, always ask. The Group Leader will usually turn on Master Loot just before a bossfight, at which point you have to hope you're with a decent Group Leader who just won't keep everything for themselves rather than distribute the items fairly.

Hope that helps.
"Never underestimate the power of the Force. Or duct tape."

Kexlox
12.14.2011 , 11:42 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vendectra View Post
Pick reverse engineer if you're planning on doing just that.
Reverse Engineer is the same loot priority as greed, but it reverse engineers the item before it ever hits your inventory.

If you roll a greed of 20, and I roll a reverse engineer of 50, I win, and get whatever the item breaks down into, not the item itself.

IIII-IIII-IIII
12.15.2011 , 12:41 AM | #6
on topic but not related to the specific question: anyone else find it....I dunno...."annoying" (perhaps?) that the Need button is placed before the Greed button on the loot-interface?

i'm aware we have quite the influx of new players to MMO's and i feel like this won't help the "bumper" learning curve, to a large extent.
Operative Iron Citadel
Infiltration, Manipulation, Assassination

Lungbutter
12.15.2011 , 01:24 AM | #7
If you roll need on an item that you cannot use, you not your companion they don't get loot rolls, straight away you will be known as a Ninja Looter. The whole server will know this very quickly and most likely will be ostracized from any more groups or raids.

Meaning, deleted your character and go to a different server, there are no excuses as MMOs have been around for over a decade.

If in doubt roll greed.
Four One Niner

FantasyMeister
12.15.2011 , 01:28 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Lungbutter View Post
If you roll need...there are no excuses as MMOs have been around for over a decade.

If in doubt roll greed.
I'd point out that whilst MMOs have been around for over a decade, new MMO players are born every day and this kind of thing will be new to them

"If in doubt roll greed" is a very wise policy, I highly recommend that everyone who isn't a Ninja looter commits this phrase to memory.
"Never underestimate the power of the Force. Or duct tape."

kraxiss
12.15.2011 , 01:52 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Vendectra View Post
if it were up to the majority, death monkeys would jump through your window, stab you fifty-seven times, then proceed to find your lineage and destroy them.
this is how i feel with evry new player that dont know this system lol love that analogie

Mikeekimmike
12.15.2011 , 02:01 AM | #10
Hehe... I'm glad someone asked, I have been wondering about that. I thought that if you picked need the loot would go to whoever needed it, and greed was to keep the loot. Now I feel kinda bad...

Oh well, since I play solo except on flashpoints when I just join a random group, I never really put too much thought into it.