Light Saber Stance thread

siegeshot

I wanted to start a dedicated stance thread. I couldn't find one in the Suggestion Box. This is a repost of an old thread I did that didn't get a lot of visibility. I've seen several other stance threads since, but there was a lot of Galen / Ahsoka hate in there in regards to reverse wielding and I think that's unnecessary.

Also one new thing since the core 1.1 patch that came out is that the Ataru form is actually showing all of its chance on hit bonus moves now. Which does give the stance quite a bit more visual aesthetic flair than it had before. So that is one thing I wanted to add.

The first stance that interests and really inspires me is Galen / Starkiller / Secret Apprentice's reverse dual wield style, "Jar'Kai." This has been my favorite light saber style out of any Star Wars game thus far, and wish I could replicate it in TOR even if it was purely aesthetic. The Ataru (acrobatic) form while dual wielding is the closest to this implemented so far in my opinion. Which is a good form, but I really like reverse dual wield... I would want Jar'Kai added to the JK / Sentinel / Combat and SW / Marauder / Carnage tree.

The second that interests me is Ahsoka Tano's form, "Shien," (trying to create openings) that I'm not sure is in the game either. I very much like this form though and the concept behind it. In the prior thread it was brought up that Ahsoka's stance was somewhat Soresu. So I would be interested in making a Jedi with Soresu solely for roleplay purposes, however again, no real visual difference and Togruta aren't playable.

Trying to keep a list of all the forms. It also seems to depend on which EU you read on which form is used for what. I assume a book could probably be written on each form.

Form I. Shii'Cho

Form II. Makashi (dueling)

Form III. Soresu (defensive)

Form IV. Ataru (offensive)

Form V. Shien (deflecting bolts, creating openings for less strong Jedi/Sith to fight more powerful ones)

Djem So (dueling)

Form VI. Niman / Jar'Kai (dual wield)

Form VII. Juyo (vicious)

Vaapad (vicious)

Anyway I hope this gets a discussion started.

Is there a favorite form you like? Is there an obscure or less popular form you wanted to see in the game? Would you want the aesthetics changed with a new form, or some new movies or functionality changes associated? Which tree would you want the new form in?

Bye for now.

Edited by siegeshot

I do favor Ahsoka's unorthodox Shien reverse grip a lot! If that was ever implemented into SW:TOR, I would definitely wield my lightsaber like that. I would definitely like to personally use this stance with a standard lightsaber and a shoto.

I totally hear what you're saying. I've boiled it down to this.

Hilt > Grip > Stance.

Like someone was saying in the hilt thread, you couldn't 2-hand a curved hilt. It would stand to reason that like how in UO or WoW if something was a 2-hander, you couldn't dual wield it, and vice versa. They would have to start breaking the hilts down into.

Curved - single, or dual wield forward, but not reverse

Regular - single forward, dual wield forward, dual wield reverse, single reverse

2-handed - 2-hand forward

Double bladed - dual wield, single wield

Tonfa, etc..

etc. etc.

But what that would lead into then, is how the forms mesh. Because then you have to figure out which forms can use which hilt types. Then which grips.

While I think this would simply be AMAZINGGG, there is probably people that'd be put off by the complexity, is being able to smooth together hilt > form > grip.

Argh that'd be so awesome.

Edited by siegeshot

I totally hear what you're saying. I've boiled it down to this.

Hilt > Form > Grip.

Like someone was saying in the hilt thread, you couldn't 2-hand a curved hilt. It would stand to reason that like how in UO or WoW if something was a 2-hander, you couldn't dual wield it, and vice versa. They would have to start breaking the hilts down into.

Curved - single, or dual wield forward, but not reverse

Regular - single forward, dual wield forward, dual wield reverse, single reverse

2-handed - 2-hand forward

Double bladed - dual wield, single wield

Tonfa, etc..

etc. etc.

But what that would lead into then, is how the forms mesh. Because then you have to figure out which forms can use which hilt types. Then which grips.

While I think this would simply be AMAZINGGG, there is probably people that'd be put off by the complexity, is being able to smooth together hilt > form > grip.

Argh that'd be so awesome.

This would be nice! I had a feeling someone would make something about lightsabers once I started talking about other lightsaber variants. This happened when I made a faction imbalance thread... others started popping up, although these kinds of threads just come and go.

Ahsoka has kind of adopted the use of wielding forwardly more, but I have seen her wielding both lightsabers reversely, or one lightsaber reversely while the other one is forward - notably the shoto being the one that's reversely gripped.

Edited by HomicidalWhales

Nods. Well this is actually originally a fairly old(ish) thread, hence all of the background work I've done. I'm just trying to get my suggestions in the right thread, and as visible as possible among all of the other great suggestions coming forward.

What I wish would happen is they sticky a hilt thread, sticky a stance thread, sticky a grip thread, etc. and just let us all talk about it in one spot.

Likewise with my droid companion thread, beast companion thread, and this other guy's playable droid thread.

It is really hard to get a topic to "float to the top" and get good traction when even searching you can't find the last hilt, grip, stance thread. :(

Edited by siegeshot

I like the concept and I've always liked the idea of opening up saber design to more than just "straight hilt, regular length" and "double-bladed". A proper polesaber, or saber-spear with a long blade on a long staff would be a cool Shadow/Assassin weapon. It might even fit their Combat Technique better than a double-bladed.

A dueling hilt (curved hilt) would be a cool option for Guardians and Juggernauts, providing for a makashii-styled technique.

Shoto Sabers I'm surprised aren't in the game already given their presence in KOTOR.

I know there's no precedent for it but I would like there to be such a thing as a greatsaber one day, two-handed with a lengthy blade, it seems like something the Sith would really take to, a Lightsaber with a blade long enough to eviscerate the guy behind the guy you're eviscerating, and such.

Nods. Well this is actually originally a fairly old(ish) thread, hence all of the background work I've done. I'm just trying to get my suggestions in the right thread, and as visible as possible among all of the other great suggestions coming forward.

What I wish would happen is they sticky a hilt thread, sticky a stance thread, sticky a grip thread, etc. and just let us all talk about it in one spot.

Likewise with my droid companion thread, beast companion thread, and this other guy's playable droid thread.

It is really hard to get a topic to "float to the top" and get good traction when even searching you can't find the last hilt, grip, stance thread. :(

I only know of this thread being the recent one talking about the different stances and battle poses for lightsabers. My lightsaber thread -- which is the most recent -- talks about the addition of more variants like the shoto, and some people even might like Jedi wielding curved-hilts, although I see that as pretty unorthodox.

Edited by HomicidalWhales

I know there's no precedent for it but I would like there to be such a thing as a greatsaber one day, two-handed with a lengthy blade, it seems like something the Sith would really take to, a Lightsaber with a blade long enough to eviscerate the guy behind the guy you're eviscerating, and such.

I was thinking about this also. But it gets into that weird gray area of, "how does the blade know how long it needs to be??"

But if the hilt is extra long'n beefy like a 2-hander would be, then it'd stand to reason you'd have a nice nice long beam, for example. But yea I think the 2-hander should be huge, or at least a huge variant. It'd be an interesting counter to pole sabers yea ?

Would require a new stance though I rekon.. (mwaha back on topic)

• 2 months later...
Bumping my hilt > grip > stance thread one last time. I had all these bookmarked but now that people can subscribe I wanted to give it one last chance. If it dies it dies. Otherwise please subscribe and help keep the idea alive. I think this's a great concept that would set SWTOR ahead of the other mmo's for a long, long, long time.

I am SICK of the idle double-bladed stance, looks way too defensive for my DPS Shadow. I'd love to have the option to change it to maybe a variation of the running stance or something. Same with my sentinel, I'd like to hold maybe one of the lightsabers in a reverse grip.

It doesn't have to affect the regular attack animations either. To be honest, the speed at which your character goes from the idle stance to an attacking animation is too quick to notice, and I'd bet you wouldn't be able to see a reverse gripped lightsaber flip round for attack animations.

I'd just be happy if they allowed us to get the stance for any jedi/sith after completing the class. In other words, I'd be willing to bite the bullet and level a whimpy jedi knight to 50 just to get the stance for my sith warrior.

It doesn't have to affect the regular attack animations either. To be honest, the speed at which your character goes from the idle stance to an attacking animation is too quick to notice, and I'd bet you wouldn't be able to see a reverse gripped lightsaber flip round for attack animations.

It'd be a winning bet. In Clone Wars Adventures you can get reverse grip hilts and the attack animations are still forward grip, they just have reverse for the idle. And honestly that's totally fine with me. I think it's a good start.

I'd just be happy if they allowed us to get the stance for any jedi/sith after completing the class. In other words, I'd be willing to bite the bullet and level a whimpy jedi knight to 50 just to get the stance for my sith warrior.

Also I like the idea of grips being passed down through legacy. Man oh man that'd really make legacy stand out if you could "inherit" grips. Wowza!

Edited by siegeshot

• 3 weeks later...