Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who is stonger - SWG Jedi Pre NGE or SWTOR Jedi?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Who is stonger - SWG Jedi Pre NGE or SWTOR Jedi?

Cybernator
01.26.2012 , 08:09 PM | #1
I did not play SWG in its infancy, unfortunately, so never got to experience what Jedi were like in that game, pre-NGE. My question to those of you who may have, as you tell from the thread title, is fairly obvious. How do they compare? Is it fair to even make the comparison?

Based on my playing SWG post NGE, I can say at least that my SWTOR JG, at level 50, would have simply owned a lvl 90 NGE Jedi. From what I've read on the interweb, there was a huge difference in what Jedi could do in SWG from pre to post NGE.

jarjarloves
01.26.2012 , 08:16 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Cybernator View Post
I did not play SWG in its infancy, unfortunately, so never got to experience what Jedi were like in that game, pre-NGE. My question to those of you who may have, as you tell from the thread title, is fairly obvious. How do they compare? Is it fair to even make the comparison?

Based on my playing SWG post NGE, I can say at least that my SWTOR JG, at level 50, would have simply owned a lvl 90 NGE Jedi. From what I've read on the interweb, there was a huge difference in what Jedi could do in SWG from pre to post NGE.
well they had to make them powefull because pre NGE they had perma death.

It would suck if you spent months trying to get a jedi and then just died on a random mob.

Rodanth_The_Wise
01.26.2012 , 09:36 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
well they had to make them powefull because pre NGE they had perma death.

It would suck if you spent months trying to get a jedi and then just died on a random mob.
I only played SWG briefly, but this was one of the most idiotic mechanics ever implemented into an MMO. Perma-death, really? No. You don't do that. Durability hits, skill loss, etc -- all acceptable within reason. Perma death and time loss? No lol.
Kallisto - Jedi Sentinel

The Dawnshadow Legacy - Anchorhead PVP

Shrilokka
01.26.2012 , 09:40 PM | #4
I played SWG for 8 years.... there was no perma death
I'm the closest thing there is to the Grim Reaper... If i have a contract on you.. Your time has come

Rhyltran
01.26.2012 , 09:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Shrilokka View Post
I played SWG for 8 years.... there was no perma death
Yes there was. In the original SWG if you managed to become a Jedi Pre NGE and you died. It was permanent but Jedi classes of that time were extremely rare and also extremely powerful. Jedi was the only thing that had perma death. Of course you couldn't pick Jedi.

Canehdianbob
01.26.2012 , 10:07 PM | #6
Yes there was perma-death it was at the VERY beginning of when jedi's were first coming around, it lasted maybe a week though and they changed it. You really brought back some memories from this thread, I remember the system wide message we all got when the first one was unlocked.

Personally though I think jedi's of Pre-Cu would be a lot tougher AFTER they put in lightsaber dmg since the original dmg was kinetic, Once they threw in the lightsaber dmg though they would melt face since jedi's were limited at one point.

So that means BH's, Troopers, IA's and smugglers armor would be show against a jedi's and have increased dmg against them soooo SWG wins imo.

Cegenaus
01.27.2012 , 03:12 AM | #7
pre cu jedis are extremely powerful compared to swtor. as a master defender i could tank 5 people for 15-20 mins at a time, it was wicked. granted i couldnt do any damage what so ever but the rest of my group would mop up while i took all the attention
Cegenaus/Xyrin/Ixor/Domz
Merc/Sorc/Mara/Jugg

Vortex Reborn/Das Ubel- Terentatek

Dreeb
01.27.2012 , 05:13 AM | #8
SWG Jedi are stronger, because they we're designed to be stronger than the normal classes. At the beginning in SWG Jedi's were extreme rare because none knew how to become one. Once the word got out, people started to grind profession like madmens.

Jedi got his overkill with the village patch, where you could trade normal xp for "jedi" xp.
| Ztoke Victus - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary |

Darth_Vala
01.27.2012 , 05:24 AM | #9
Pre NGE Jedi were designed as alpha class which meant you could wtfpwn 3-4 non-jedi of similar level. Then came the village which meant getting jedi became a boring grind but simple so anyone could do it. They were also nerfed at this time but still a little tougher then non-jedi. Then they were further nerfed when NGE came along and anyone could choose Jedi from lvl 1 - no more alpha class at any level.

Ask yourself could your JK in SWTOR take down 3-4 BHs of same level. If not then yea...

Quiet
01.27.2012 , 06:11 AM | #10
I played SWG from beta to year one.
The holocron grind killed the game for me and I swore I would never play a SOE MMO ever again.
IMO... Jedi as a playable class killed SWG.

I do remember that there was one and only one 4-4-4-4 Jedi on the server I was playing on and my guild went pvping with his guild. We went to Theed and I watched as he wtfpwn'd 10 Imperial players by himself.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).