Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mako, Torian, and too much affection for the former.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Mako, Torian, and too much affection for the former.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rhinzual
01.26.2012 , 03:38 PM | #1
So, like I stated in that Torian the Terminator thread, I'm not even at Taris or even Dromund Kas' second visit a la Act 2 on my Powertech and am sitting on 9060 affection with Mako, not knowing that having more affection with her than Torian (who I don't even have yet) could lock me out of the romance. Now, she grew on me as a character and all and I do not see myself liking Torian in the slightest and since we simply can't kill unwanted companions off for good, I must ask, am I screwed?

If not, then do I just level my Underworld Trading alt up enough to then stuff Torian's face with Rank 6 Companion Gifts, or do I just reroll my whole character? Of course, after reading how Mercs with Concussive Missile have it way easier than Powertechs against those two guards, the idea to reroll in already in my mind.

RandyBegel
01.26.2012 , 04:32 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhinzual View Post
So, like I stated in that Torian the Terminator thread, I'm not even at Taris or even Dromund Kas' second visit a la Act 2 on my Powertech and am sitting on 9060 affection with Mako, not knowing that having more affection with her than Torian (who I don't even have yet) could lock me out of the romance. Now, she grew on me as a character and all and I do not see myself liking Torian in the slightest and since we simply can't kill unwanted companions off for good, I must ask, am I screwed?

If not, then do I just level my Underworld Trading alt up enough to then stuff Torian's face with Rank 6 Companion Gifts, or do I just reroll my whole character? Of course, after reading how Mercs with Concussive Missile have it way easier than Powertechs against those two guards, the idea to reroll in already in my mind.
I have good news for you. You don't need to reroll your character to romance Mako; you're on the right track.

The circumstance you were told about doesn't happen based on having certain levels of affection with one companion or another. It only happens if you are not yet in a romance and even then, you have the ultimate choice over encouraging the situation or saying "no, mine!"

Hope that takes a load off your mind.

TempestasSilva
01.26.2012 , 04:39 PM | #3
Not sure I understand, but is your bounty hunter a male of female? You can only romance Torian with a female and Mako with a male. There is no way to romance both or have one conflict with the other as far as I know.

Doozzer
01.26.2012 , 04:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
Not sure I understand, but is your bounty hunter a male of female? You can only romance Torian with a female and Mako with a male. There is no way to romance both or have one conflict with the other as far as I know.
this. you need to elaborate.

Also, Torian and Mako's tryst will eventually implode. They don't stay together.
TK-421, the fragrance for men.
"Because it was a boring conversation anyways."

Sasheria
01.26.2012 , 04:51 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhinzual View Post

Are you talking Mako + Torian romance arc?

Rhinzual
01.26.2012 , 05:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sasheria View Post
Are you talking Mako + Torian romance arc?
My Powertech is a Male. Can't believe I forgot to mention that in the original post.

Doozzer
01.26.2012 , 05:14 PM | #7
so, uh, what exactly is the problem then?
TK-421, the fragrance for men.
"Because it was a boring conversation anyways."

Jenovan
01.26.2012 , 05:21 PM | #8
Not sure if it's what the OP is getting at, but what I'm curious about is:

What conditions lead to Mako and Torian's romance arc? Does it happen regardless of the BH's gender? Is it based, as I've seen described, on Mako's and Torian's relative affection levels? And does it have any impact on your character's ability to romance one or the other of them? (This last, I think, is what OP is concerned about.)

Playing a fem BH, I'm planning to romance Torian, but Mako's affection will certainly be higher than his when I first get him as a companion. Should I be concerned? Should I sit Mako down for a talk, gift-spam Torian, let them have their chance, or what? (Wait, do I really want to be a rebound? )
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Thuggy
01.26.2012 , 05:27 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post

What conditions lead to Mako and Torian's romance arc? Does it happen regardless of the BH's gender? Is it based, as I've seen described, on Mako's and Torian's relative affection levels? And does it have any impact on your character's ability to romance one or the other of them? (This last, I think, is what OP is concerned about.)

Playing a fem BH, I'm planning to romance Torian, but Mako's affection will certainly be higher than his when I first get him as a companion. Should I be concerned? Should I sit Mako down for a talk, gift-spam Torian, let them have their chance, or what? (Wait, do I really want to be a rebound? )
I only got BH to the end of chapter 2 in beta, so this may have changed, but when talking w/ Mako (after aquiring torian) she'll kind of "test the waters" to see if your BH is interested in Torian or not. I think at that point you can tell her to back off, or give her the green light to pursue a relationship w/ him.

Rhinzual
01.26.2012 , 05:40 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post

The problem is I've been told that if you're male and want Mako, you need higher affection with Torian to stop it from happening, and if you're female, higher with mako than Torian.

However, I'm into Act 2 and already got all the conversations done with her because I was sitting just under 9k affection with her prior to Act 2 and since I blew through all of them in one ship visit, I don't know if I locked myself out or not. However, as I stated, I don't have Torian yet, so whether that is a factor or not, I don't know.

TL;DR- Is it Act 2 or Act 3 where one of them will play homewrecker is what I'm asking? If it's Act 2, I'm probably hosed, but if it's Act 3, then I can just opt out of using Mako in conversations entirely until much later.

One final tidbit, is it just me, or does no other class have to deal with homewrecking companions?