Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lack of a group finder

Kizdin
01.26.2012 , 01:32 PM | #1
Is it me are have we gone backwards?
i remember the days when people crowded in zones to shout for groups and sell items, most mmo's now have some sort of player trading tool and a group finder yet SW has maid provisions for trading but no grouping.

The lack of one seems even contrary to the idea that the devs have about flowing game play that lets you be in the action while performing other tasks but if you want to group up for a flashpoint some where, then you have to stop what ever you are doing up root and sit in the fleet until you can find some one to join you or will take you along.

The augment against is always the danger of a breakdown in community, but a community isn't people shouting for groups, it's random conversations that atm get lost in the constant stream of LFG messages.

in my opinion a cross server group finder for flashpoints is the way forward, it allows for casual players as well as inexperienced ones to join up and experience more end game content, it removes elitism in the form of selective discrimination with regards gear and classes, but doesn't inter fear with premade groups of guildies or friends.

this is just my opinion and i welcome yours as well and hopefully we can have a civilized discussion about it and hopefully get things changed to the way we all think is best for the future

Thank you all

Sykomyke
01.26.2012 , 01:39 PM | #2
Option A: You have a group finder. Result: Groups are "easier" to find; but social hubs become deserted.

Option B: You don't have a group finder. Result: Groups are "harder" to find; but social hubs stay populated.

Out of the two options, I'd take B. A "group finder" tool in-game won't make it easier to find groups. People have to tell the "group finder" what instance they want, what spec they are, etc. And from my experience, there's still a lot that can go wrong there. People lie about what spec they are, people are undergeared/underleveled for said instance, etc etc.

The only thing "hard" about Option B is you are forced to socialize and create relationships with other players so you can have a "consistent" group. (AkA: Friends/Guildmates). Or the alternative is you type into /1 "DPS LFG Red Reaper".

It's not all that hard and honestly I'm not sure where people got the notion that "group finders" are necessary. Did you also know you can go to your social tab and go to the "Who" list, and flag yourself with a note stating what instance you are looking for? Technically there is a group finder already, it's just localized to the zone you are in.

And considering that over half the Flashpoints in the game are all in your Fleet/Space Station area....(which is already your major social hub) I fail to see how it's hard for you to find a group....Unless you rolled lightning sorcerer. Then good luck, you and every other Inquisitor out there is looking for a group.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

Grope
01.26.2012 , 01:43 PM | #3
If there was a cross server group finder in place which started at lvl 10 for BT. How many people do you think you would have met on your server and run again with?

The answer is likely 0 or 1. On the other hand i've run with people multiple times and constantly get asked to tank again for people.

You may see it as going backwards, but I see it as correcting a poor idea and moving forwards.
First I'd recommend using the current LFG tool correctly. When you sign in click the LFG button and what you are looking for. When people like me who use the tool search "lfg", you'll pop up and i'll invite you to run a hard mode. If you are good i'll add you to friends, if you are bad then we'll run into each other again by chance. If you want any sort of tool added, an enhancement of the realm lfg system should be the only thing discussed. Cross server tools kill any sort of community.

Asmiroth
01.26.2012 , 02:12 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Option A: You have a group finder. Result: Groups are "easier" to find; but social hubs become deserted.

Option B: You don't have a group finder. Result: Groups are "harder" to find; but social hubs stay populated.
Social Hub? From 20-49 you can't find any group for a flashpoint on any planet and general chat is all crickets. Not to mention that your default chat box is spammed with yellow messages everytime you kill something. 16 lines of text per encounter? Really?

Having people only use /general to find a group is 2004. When a LFG tool exists in every other western themepark MMO, it is glaringly missing here.

Argo_
01.26.2012 , 02:56 PM | #5
Not to mention that you can still get a "regular" group and choose not o use the LFG tool, some of us donīt have much time in our hands to stand there for 20-30 mins to get something going.

we REALLY need a LFG tool NOW!

cheers
All the Force you can eat!

Kizdin
01.26.2012 , 03:45 PM | #6
@Sykomyke,
I understand what you mean about the social aspect of the station, and it has the bonus of being where most of the flashpoints are, but that shouldn't mean that we are chained to that place as i feel we are atm,
any non lvl 50 comes and goes from the station as they hop from planet to planet, but post 50 what is there for us? constantly running round the station sending you crew off waiting for some one to be looking for the same thing you are.

a social hub should be just that a place where people go to be sociable and i think that should be rewarded with activities and things to do in that places (maybe a place where people can go to specifically look for a guild along with other things, (( sorry i am getting off topic)).

However what we have at the moment is an area that there is nothing to do in but wate for things to happen, i play a healer and so things tent to happen quite quickly for me but that doesn't get away from that fact that i have spent the last 2 weeks on the station with out travailing to anywhere save the occasional trip to Ilum to dip my tow in only to have it ganked off.

To me that in not what this game needs

Vedious
01.26.2012 , 11:24 PM | #7
i completely agree with a group finder, i for one actually have a limited time to play like most other people, so i dont want to have to spend 50% of that time trying to find a group on a low pop server, then in the end spend my whole time playing doing dailies and sitting in the fleet trying to find something to do, which just about never happens.

right now im sitting in my fleet as the only lvl 50 that is complete BS. only reason i think many people are still playing this game is because they love starwars and are waiting for BW to fix this crap, thats definitely my reason.

Manifoldgodhead
01.29.2012 , 09:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Grope View Post
If there was a cross server group finder in place which started at lvl 10 for BT. How many people do you think you would have met on your server and run again with?

The answer is likely 0 or 1. On the other hand i've run with people multiple times and constantly get asked to tank again for people.

You may see it as going backwards, but I see it as correcting a poor idea and moving forwards.
First I'd recommend using the current LFG tool correctly. When you sign in click the LFG button and what you are looking for. When people like me who use the tool search "lfg", you'll pop up and i'll invite you to run a hard mode. If you are good i'll add you to friends, if you are bad then we'll run into each other again by chance. If you want any sort of tool added, an enhancement of the realm lfg system should be the only thing discussed. Cross server tools kill any sort of community.
Fine, no cross server, but there should be a flashpoint tool that is just like the pvp tool that puts similar level people together with the proper role configuration. Because not all of us roll tanks and healers. And guess what, if you are not a tank or healer, you are little people and you don't often get friended, especially without a DPS tracking tool to show you are better than the average PUG. DPS are a dime a dozen and it is even worse in this game where they basically just chopped off a dps slot in every *********** group which is 2 DPS slots in 8 man ops and 4 DPS slots in 16.

Plus it does not not build community to spam general chat for 2 hours every night just to have my group disband suddenly and leave me pissing in the wind. Basically, not having a group finder is saying, "oh you didn't roll tank or healer? well, suck a dick."