Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light Saber Discussion

Wolfninjajedi
01.26.2012 , 05:53 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikModi View Post
Even in the lore, lightsabers don't cut through everything they contact.

Ep I, Qui-Gon's lightsaber can cut the door to the bridge, but it's taking him a long time. Once the close the blast door, his cutting is slowed even more.

Ep II, Dooku's strikes on Obi-Wan don't sever his limbs. A testament to Dooku's fine control over his lightsaber, sure, but also indicating that being touched with a lightsaber isn't automatic dismemberment.

Ep III, watch Anakin and Obi-Wan's lightsabers graze the walls of a hall they move through. More to the point, watch their blades lock against a computer console without cutting through, even though Obi-Wan is using the console to trap Anakin's blade.

Ep VI. . . well, not much here.

Ep V, see Luke and Vader's lightsabers bounce off some of the railings in the final phase of the Cloud City fight (and, granted, cut through others.) Watch Luke's lightsaber BOUNCE OFF VADER'S SHOULDER as he scores a hit.

Ep VI, again, watch Luke and Vader's lightsaber blades bounce off ordinary railings, up until Luke puts a lot of force behind one blow, severing Vader's hand and the railing behind it. Earlier, watch the Sarlacc Pit fight, and tell me how many bad guys Luke cut apart with his lightsaber.

Were Anakin and Obi-Wan using training sabers to fight against each other? I think not. Did Luke build a training saber to go face down both Dark Lords of the Sith? If he did, he's an idiot. Did the Emperor only trust Darth Vader, his right hand and executor of his will, with a training saber? Hardly.
To EP V the reason the saber bounced off his shoulder was because it was more of a glancing blow, and that his armor is somewhat lightsaber resistant.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

ErikModi
01.26.2012 , 05:55 PM | #12
It wasn't so glancing that Vader wasn't smarting afterward.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

LordMaximum
01.26.2012 , 05:59 PM | #13
It would be a little to easy to walk up to an elite in-game and slice him in-half *snap* like that. And yes getting hit with a lightsaber does not mean you immediatly lose an arm.
Dark Councilor, Sorcerer of the Dark Side.
Through strength I gain my power.

-Dark Councilor Nox-

shadowrouge
01.26.2012 , 06:19 PM | #14
As for lightsaber resistant stuff you all going off EU. Yes there are ways to stop it in EU. But if you want true lore and cannon. George said he doesnt want anything that can resist a lightsaber. So much so that in one of the clone wars Animated series shows they had to turn a vibroblade into a black bladed lightsaber to keep him happy about that.

So in cannon nothing can stop a lightsaber. In EU which this game is set yes things can.
Weekend Beta tester 11-11-11/ Thanksgiving tester 11-25-11

ErikModi
01.26.2012 , 06:22 PM | #15
Oh, I missed the part in RotS when the lightsabers cut cleanly through the electrostaves wielded by Grievous's bodyguards.

Or, you know, all the other instances I mentioned above where lightsabers DIDN'T cut cleanly through an object they made contact with.

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Sai-to
01.26.2012 , 07:11 PM | #16
It got my Lightsaber at the end of Tython... which happens to be when I stopped being a Paduwan and became a Knight. I don't know why you're still using a Training saber.

P.S. "HP" in all Role-playing games has never represented the "meat" of your body. Think of it more as Endurance or Stamina. When you are "hit" by an attack in D&D (the father of all RPGs), it doesn't represent a solid blow... it represents a glancing blow, or maybe a threatening, yet not vital wound.

Your HP represents how long you can keep up the fight. Once you're out of HP and take damage that would put you 0 or below, THAT is the solid blow.

ErikModi
01.26.2012 , 07:19 PM | #17
I think the OP is comparing the functionality of the actual lightsabers in TOR to the perceived functionality of "training lightsabers" in other EU materials. These were actual lightsabers that were simply less powerful than normal lightsabers.

Sai-to
01.26.2012 , 07:26 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikModi View Post
I think the OP is comparing the functionality of the actual lightsabers in TOR to the perceived functionality of "training lightsabers" in other EU materials. These were actual lightsabers that were simply less powerful than normal lightsabers.

Which is exactly why I explained that until a character hits 0 HP, you aren't actually "hitting" them with the Lightsaber. You are forcing them to dodge and dealing glancing blows (using up their "HP" i.e. endurance/stamina/ability to fight).

BrandonSM
01.26.2012 , 07:30 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
To EP V the reason the saber bounced off his shoulder was because it was more of a glancing blow, and that his armor is somewhat lightsaber resistant.
It was made of some type of Lightsaber resistance armor. But it was a full blow against his shoulder, thats why he screamed in pain even though it didn't pierce.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

ErikModi
01.26.2012 , 08:04 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Sai-to View Post
Which is exactly why I explained that until a character hits 0 HP, you aren't actually "hitting" them with the Lightsaber. You are forcing them to dodge and dealing glancing blows (using up their "HP" i.e. endurance/stamina/ability to fight).
Precisely.