Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light Saber Discussion

Sciry
01.26.2012 , 11:09 AM | #1
Throughout the SW universe, both EU and otherwise, the light saber was an amazing weapon. It is plasma suspended in a force field, the wielder must overcome and master the gyroscopic effects (it has a tendency to wobble when utilized). It is capable of cutting through nearly anything, with only the density of the subject acting as a restraint to the speed in which it does so.

Where are these light sabers in TOR? Why are we stuck with Padawan's training saber long after we have become full Jedi/Sith?

Training saber: "Like a regular lightsaber set to low power, they could not sever limbs or pierce flesh."

I understand from a mechanical point of view, once the light saber made contact it wouldn't do to just kill your target in a video game... but then why put these ad hoc variants into the game incapable of piercing or cutting power? Surely it wasn't merely to keep the rating down? The movies were PG & PG-13 and there was plenty of light saber killing in true light saber form...

I guess it just bothers me, similar to having a Light V Sith and being called evil... but that is another issue

Slaggy_
01.26.2012 , 12:40 PM | #2
From what I understand, the reason we don't have gory splashy light sabers is the same reason the galaxy's worst insult is calling someone "scum:" the series has always tried to stay away from strong language and over the top violence. In the event someone is dismembered, the wound is generally cauterized and doesn't really bleed (I think the giant ice monster thing on Hoth is the only one that bleeds).

Sciry
01.26.2012 , 01:44 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Slaggy_ View Post
From what I understand, the reason we don't have gory splashy light sabers is the same reason the galaxy's worst insult is calling someone "scum:" the series has always tried to stay away from strong language and over the top violence. In the event someone is dismembered, the wound is generally cauterized and doesn't really bleed (I think the giant ice monster thing on Hoth is the only one that bleeds).
I guess I feel I am far for asking for gore... just a light saber that acts like a light saber... droids got cut down in droves, yet I still feel like I am hitting it with a wooden, glowing stick. It makes the right noises... but its not the real deal.

Malles
01.26.2012 , 01:48 PM | #4
Game mechanics, for the real reason.

For the lore reason, in a galaxy full of countless sentients that just got done with a decades-long Jedi/Sith war, I'd imagine someone somewhere figured out how to ward off lightsabers without cortosis. As awesome as they are, they're still energy weapons, and energy can be blocked or deflected.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.
Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

justahdude
01.26.2012 , 03:52 PM | #5
actually i was greeted with "echuta" and there are plenty of materials that can resist lightsaber beams. and only a handful that can stop it outright (its a plotline of one of the jedi knight games) there are even materials that literally interrupt the beam and cause it to turn off.

the Yhuusan-vong armor and weapons stop lightsabers outright effectively making them worse than the training sabers you speak of.

lastly remember this is a period long before the galactic empire (not to be confused with the sith empire) its very reasonable to think and have knowledge of materials that can easily resist and defend against lightsabers and have it be relatively commonplace. it wasnt until Emperor Palpatine's rule that lightsabers became outlawed and thus knowledge of their defense as well.

Noczod
01.26.2012 , 04:55 PM | #6
Well I guess the biggest reason would be because, if you lightsaber just destoryed everything it touches then there would be no need to HP or anything or that nature, since your lightsaber would destroy everything it touched.

ErikModi
01.26.2012 , 05:15 PM | #7
Even in the lore, lightsabers don't cut through everything they contact.

Ep I, Qui-Gon's lightsaber can cut the door to the bridge, but it's taking him a long time. Once the close the blast door, his cutting is slowed even more.

Ep II, Dooku's strikes on Obi-Wan don't sever his limbs. A testament to Dooku's fine control over his lightsaber, sure, but also indicating that being touched with a lightsaber isn't automatic dismemberment.

Ep III, watch Anakin and Obi-Wan's lightsabers graze the walls of a hall they move through. More to the point, watch their blades lock against a computer console without cutting through, even though Obi-Wan is using the console to trap Anakin's blade.

Ep VI. . . well, not much here.

Ep V, see Luke and Vader's lightsabers bounce off some of the railings in the final phase of the Cloud City fight (and, granted, cut through others.) Watch Luke's lightsaber BOUNCE OFF VADER'S SHOULDER as he scores a hit.

Ep VI, again, watch Luke and Vader's lightsaber blades bounce off ordinary railings, up until Luke puts a lot of force behind one blow, severing Vader's hand and the railing behind it. Earlier, watch the Sarlacc Pit fight, and tell me how many bad guys Luke cut apart with his lightsaber.

Were Anakin and Obi-Wan using training sabers to fight against each other? I think not. Did Luke build a training saber to go face down both Dark Lords of the Sith? If he did, he's an idiot. Did the Emperor only trust Darth Vader, his right hand and executor of his will, with a training saber? Hardly.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

sotacram
01.26.2012 , 05:22 PM | #8
Quote:
Um... IIRC Obi-wan cuts off an arm in the Tatooine cantina and they show the arm + blood. I guess the cauterize effect became a part of the lore when Vader's LS cut off Luke's hand. Couldn't have our hero bleed to death all over Bespin.

ErikModi
01.26.2012 , 05:28 PM | #9
Yeah, I think that's the only instance of lightsaber blood loss we ever see.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Slaggy_
01.26.2012 , 05:49 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by sotacram View Post
Um... IIRC Obi-wan cuts off an arm in the Tatooine cantina and they show the arm + blood. I guess the cauterize effect became a part of the lore when Vader's LS cut off Luke's hand. Couldn't have our hero bleed to death all over Bespin.
That's definitely true. I wonder if they always had a plan for how a light saber affected its target from the get go, or if things kinda fell into place