Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Focus Targetting Bugged?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Focus Targetting Bugged?

GySgt_Crusty
01.26.2012 , 07:57 AM | #1
I put this here because it isn't class-specific and I don't know if it is a bug or not because I don't know if others have the same issue. For those of you unfamiliar with focus targetting:

If you select a target and press Alt-F (default binding), you will set focus on that target -- indicated by the target arrow above the target becoming hollow. After setting focus, you can press the "focus modifier key" (default binding is "End" key) and any spell you cast will be against the focus target.

Focus is very useful when you are attacking an enemy and want to heal the tank quickly without changing your target or you are a tank and want to intervene for the healer and have a mob targetted. You don't have to change targets or tab-target. You just press the "end" key, cast the spell, release the "focus modifier key" and continue with what you were doing before. Once you try it, you will love the utility of it.

Anyway, the issue that I have been having is focus being intermittant. I use focus a lot while soloing my sorcerer to heal my companion, Khem (tank). Sometimes when I am holding down the focus modifier key to chain-heal Khem, some of the heals land on Khem and some land on me (that is the default heal target when you have an enemy targetted). I have tried changing the key bind, re-setting focus, but I can't seem to find a work-around.

If you are depending on focus-targetting and a long-cast spell, such as healing, goes off on the wrong target, it can have serious consequences. You don't know what target is selected until the spell hits. It would be really helpful if there was a visual cue when the focus modifier was selected. When you set focus, the selection arrow becomes hollow (blue outline), confirming the focus was set. Maybe the focus target arrow has a white fill when you press the modifier key? This might not help if it was a spell issue vs a focus issue, but it would at least help the developers isolate it.

So, my question is "has anyone else experienced something similar?"

Thanks,
Crusty

Kalua
01.26.2012 , 08:53 AM | #2
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=192693

tldr; Focused abilities do not work when queued. Set Ability Queue to 0.0 to work around the issue.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon, but other than acknowledgement of receipt of the bug report I haven't seen any official response on the resolution timeframe.

TempestasSilva
01.26.2012 , 10:52 AM | #3
Focus is buggy as hell when questing, not so buggy in flashpoints. Not only have I had the problems you mention, but sometimes the focus just goes away too. Its kind of like sometimes after a taxi ride, your companion just goes away. IMO as a healer you are well served by getting used to using a keybind to target yourself, and luckily in this game, if you hit it twice, it targets your companion. So if I am DPSing and need to heal my companion, I just hit F1 twice and start healing him.

Until focus is fixed, this is my recommendation. Focus is cool when it works, but hitting F1 twice always works.

GySgt_Crusty
01.26.2012 , 12:28 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
Focus is buggy as hell when questing, not so buggy in flashpoints. Not only have I had the problems you mention, but sometimes the focus just goes away too. Its kind of like sometimes after a taxi ride, your companion just goes away. IMO as a healer you are well served by getting used to using a keybind to target yourself, and luckily in this game, if you hit it twice, it targets your companion. So if I am DPSing and need to heal my companion, I just hit F1 twice and start healing him.

Until focus is fixed, this is my recommendation. Focus is cool when it works, but hitting F1 twice always works.
Right, another time I forgot to mention -- Re-focusing after the taxi. Targeting is going to be problematic until they implement scripting, even with key-bound targeting. My non-focus method is to just use the keybind for "Acquire target's target". To cast heal on myself, I just cast with the mob targeted. To cast on pet, use Alt-t, cast, Alt-t again to target original mob. intervening on the healer requires clicking on their portrait.
Crusty.

GySgt_Crusty
01.26.2012 , 12:35 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalua View Post
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=192693

tldr; Focused abilities do not work when queued. Set Ability Queue to 0.0 to work around the issue.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon, but other than acknowledgement of receipt of the bug report I haven't seen any official response on the resolution timeframe.
Thanks for pointing this out. As I am a key-masher, I have been meaning to turn off queuing anyway.
Crusty