Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the Freighter Fly-By supposed to be insanely slow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Is the Freighter Fly-By supposed to be insanely slow?

jesterbard
01.25.2012 , 06:44 PM | #1
Seriously, a 3 second cast, followed by 3 seconds of roleplaying nonsense before the pain actually drops. It's nearly unusable, as tanks have usually moved before it lands, or if there's no tank, the mobs have killed you. In pvp, your opponents can totally capture the target before you can get this attack off (assuming multiple door grabbers).

It's a fun skill and I like it, but it misses more often than it hits. Can we cut it down to an actual 3 second activation? Either instant cast that lands after 3 seconds or 3 second cast that lands as soon as it's done? Or some mix thereof? It literally takes 6 seconds from the time I start casting to the time the strike hits and it's just not acceptable.

Rown
01.25.2012 , 07:05 PM | #2
It's not the best move ever, but I've definitely gotten use out of it in PvP. It is obviously not that useful in a 1v1 situation and I don't really think it should be. But throw it into the middle of a large battle where enemies are preoccupied with other players and you either hit them all for a bunch of damage or force them to get out of the way and interrupt their attacks.

StealthNerf
01.25.2012 , 07:25 PM | #3
It needs a good bit of foresight to use, yes, but I get use out of it in pve and pvp.

In PvE you cast it as the first attack you do, or you cast it right on the tank, who shouldn't be moving around that much...

In PvP you cast it on a big fight. You'll probably hit one or two people for a few thousand damage, which is worth the long cast time. You can combine it with a flashbang straight after to delay reaction times.

You don't use it in pvp to stop people grabbing doors or objectives. That's what thermal grenade and incendiary grenade are for...

antiviolence
01.25.2012 , 07:44 PM | #4
they might have to tone down the damage by quite a number if they're going to make it instant cast.
The most irritating thing about using it in PVP? when everyone sees the republic logo on the floor and start running from it
Quote: Originally Posted by atreyuz View Post
oooh the classic 31/31/31 spec.

Legius
01.25.2012 , 08:04 PM | #5
The initial delay can be lived with for XS Flyby, I think.

What it needs, and Incendiary Grenade does too, is a shorter tick time. Either 1s or 2s per tick, not 3s/tick as it currently stands. For something locked to a small patch on the ground, that is painfully slow, especially since the ticks come at the "end" of the 3s intervals.

It's currently possible for a target to get out of the area of effect before any damage lands even if they were rooted as the ability was cast. That's pretty terrible.

Ravzar
01.25.2012 , 08:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by StealthNerf View Post
It needs a good bit of foresight to use, yes, but I get use out of it in pve and pvp.

In PvE you cast it as the first attack you do, or you cast it right on the tank, who shouldn't be moving around that much...

In PvP you cast it on a big fight. You'll probably hit one or two people for a few thousand damage, which is worth the long cast time. You can combine it with a flashbang straight after to delay reaction times.

You don't use it in pvp to stop people grabbing doors or objectives. That's what thermal grenade and incendiary grenade are for...
Because everyone uses an otherwise useless spec to get incendiary grenade?

Tbh I have found it ok in 1v1 against melee. If I mez them, drop XS Freighter underneith me, sab charge, then load up an aim shot, its big burst. It puts them in a spot where they have to try to kill me and stand in my aoe or run away but risk me killing them from a distance.

Rown
01.25.2012 , 09:18 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Legius View Post
What it needs, and Incendiary Grenade does too, is a shorter tick time. Either 1s or 2s per tick, not 3s/tick as it currently stands. For something locked to a small patch on the ground, that is painfully slow, especially since the ticks come at the "end" of the 3s intervals
I'm okay with the 3s tic, but I do agree that it should tic sooner rather than later.

Drunkasaurus
01.25.2012 , 10:00 PM | #8
Freighter flyby is amazing in Voidstar and Alderaan Civil War.

Abanoth
01.25.2012 , 10:08 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Drunkasaurus View Post
Freighter flyby is amazing in Voidstar and Alderaan Civil War.
This. Pop it off over a door/turret and no capping for the next few seconds. And unlike the trooper/bh equivalent it doesn't require you to stand there and channel letting you do other things while it works..

Hell, you can even STEALTH after using it provided you're not in combat. It probably will get changed in the future, but for now it's the ultimate fire and forget attack that doubles as area denial.

Rown
01.25.2012 , 10:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Abanoth View Post
It probably will get changed in the future, but for now it's the ultimate fire and forget attack that doubles as area denial.
That would be the Incendiary Grenade, since it's instant. But Flyby might be second. (And if you have both...)