Kinetic Ward...again with the rocks...Suggestion for an ani w/ a more jedi feel...

Dyvim

EDIT: I agree that turning this into a passive aura, tied into the combat technique, would be preferable to any "push to activate" ring o' rocks type ability. Get rid of the button, get rid of the rocks...

Simple suggestion...

Kinetic Ward is in the tanking tree...the animation consists of the jedi magically summoning a circle of small rocks that circle him as a "shield".

Instead of rocks, why not force crystals. Or rocks with force crystals imbedded in them. Where will these crystals come from? THe same #$^% place BW wants us to believe the rocks came from...especially on space stations and starships, etc.

And as a bonus the color of the crystals could match the color of the LS currently equipped. That would DEFINITELY up the coolness factor. The animation could also include little sparks of energy between the crystals as they circled you...picture the lightsaber creation as the crystal is being inserted into the hilt. Would also definitely up the coolness factor.

This class needs to get away from rocks and junk and up the coolness factor and jedi feel.

Thx.

Edited by Dyvim

Most Jedi don't handily carry around force crystals. Force Crystals are known to be fragile, precious and rare.

THe reason there is a shield of rocks and pebbles is because rocks and pebbles are readily available in many areas, and it is in the same theme with other Jedi Consular powers, Project (pick up boulder and toss it) and Telekinetic Throw (shoots lots of pebbles at the enimies).

Graphically it's fine. Mechanically, it could use a little buff. There's also a bonus: if you're a fat jedi, you can go with the "You're so fat, that you got your own gravitational pull." joke :p

Most Jedi don't handily carry around force crystals. Force Crystals are known to be fragile, precious and rare.

THe reason there is a shield of rocks and pebbles is because rocks and pebbles are readily available in many areas, and it is in the same theme with other Jedi Consular powers, Project (pick up boulder and toss it) and Telekinetic Throw (shoots lots of pebbles at the enimies).

Graphically it's fine. Mechanically, it could use a little buff. There's also a bonus: if you're a fat jedi, you can go with the "You're so fat, that you got your own gravitational pull." joke :p

lol i say get rid of all the rocks and just make a force projection type of thing. KW gives a little subtle force bubble (like a sonic aura). Project will jsut but a single froce blast and TK throw multiple force blasts.

Most jedi dont handily carry around rocks and gravel either. BW jumped the shark on that one long ago. If I can magically summon rocks, why not rocks with crystals imbedded in them, or crystals, imbued with the force. Give it a jedi feel, at least. Rocks are about as exciting as, well, rocks. And if tehy can appear on spaceship, space stations, in buidlings, etc., then why not crystals?

But notice I also added that option have have rocks with crystals imbedded in them. Yes, consular is full of rocks and gravel and junk and debris animations, atm, and the kill the class from a coolness factor and jedi feel standpoint. That's why people have been trying to get them changed that I know of every since I was in beta last summer. And why the thread is titled like it is titled.

Edited by Dyvim

lol i say get rid of all the rocks and just make a force projection type of thing. KW gives a little subtle force bubble (like a sonic aura). Project will jsut but a single froce blast and TK throw multiple force blasts.

Yeah, I thought about that too, but I figured they wanted to go with some kind of physical barrier (kinetic ward), as opposed to an energy barrier, like force bubble. So i restricted my ideas to physical objects that would look cooler than plain rocks (low bar there), and provide a more jedi feel...

But yeah, the other way to go is just make it a passive, or tie it to combat technique as a passive, that would solve the whole thing....just get rid of the flippin rocks.

Edited by Dyvim

I absolutely hate and loathe the rocks. I'd been looking forward to the ability, but my heart sank when I saw them appear.

It's like some stupid bloody fantasy mage magic ability intruding into mah Star Wars.

I mean, it's supposed to be a SHIELD effect isn't it? Then it should be an electronic shield effect - i.e. just the shield "flashing" on more often when you're hit.

Edited by gurugeorge

I do actually agree with you on this one, the rock shield feels slightly goofy. Not because they appear around you, but just the style and execution feels weird. They clip with your character frequently, and in a full run the circle of rocks actually floats behind you rather than on you.

That said, rather than go into force crystals or anything else I think this should be converted from an activated ability to a passive talent buff and rolled into Combat Technique. This is a layer of micromanagement that shadow tanks just do not need, an irritating, stare-at-your-action-bar ability that was the reason I decided to hold off on Kinetics and just stick with Balance dps until they improve the U.I. Meanwhile, other classes get the bonus it gives just baked into their "tank stance" abilities IIRC.

Edited by KTheAlchemist

I absolutely hate and loathe the rocks. I'd been looking forward to the ability, but my heart sank when I saw them appear.

It's like some stupid bloody fantasy mage magic ability intruding into mah Star Wars.

I mean, it's supposed to be a SHIELD effect isn't it? Then it should be an electronic shield effect - i.e. just the shield "flashing" on more often when you're hit.

Sorry, off topic.. but..

Why the hell would you pick Jedi Consular if you're going to get upset when your character uses magical powers? The only way the connection could get more blatant is if they renamed the class "Space Wizard"

I do actually agree with you on this one, the rock shield feels slightly goofy. Not because they appear around you, but just the style and execution feels weird. They clip with your character frequently, and in a full run the circle of rocks actually floats behind you rather than on you.

That said, rather than go into force crystals or anything else I think this should be converted from an activated ability to a passive talent buff and rolled into Combat Technique. This is a layer of micromanagement that shadow tanks just do not need, an irritating, stare-at-your-action-bar ability that was the reason I decided to hold off on Kinetics and just stick with Balance dps until they improve the U.I. Meanwhile, other classes get the bonus it gives just baked into their "tank stance" abilities IIRC.

exactly i feel you on getting it fixed. Support this thread in hopes bioware sees it and gets it fixed.

Also its not magic its the force to the other post :D

Force Crystals? Electronic Shields?

Not sure what rock you have been hiding under but to a Jedi, the force is something natural, its the very essence of life itself. It is an understanding of nature and how it surrounds us.

Rocks = nature/life/force. Which is pretty much on theme for SWTOR and Star Wars in general.

Force Crystals? Electronic Shields?

Not sure what rock you have been hiding under but to a Jedi, the force is something natural, its the very essence of life itself. It is an understanding of nature and how it surrounds us.

Rocks = nature/life/force. Which is pretty much on theme for SWTOR and Star Wars in general.

less natural tho in a space station where there is no earth to use as a ward. I suggest just making a subtle little bubble or a force aura. Like how dark ward is i've seen when they cast it its like a dark shield going into them.

I say just give us a force aura similar to the meditate ability. It distinctive, makes us look like we are Jesus, Bruce Leeroy, Hercules who proved he was a true hero, and it looks like we have a ward of kinetic force around us.

basically this but not so bright. Just make it like a shimmer of light or blue aura. Darkness can have the same thing...but dark

Sorry, off topic.. but..

Why the hell would you pick Jedi Consular if you're going to get upset when your character uses magical powers? The only way the connection could get more blatant is if they renamed the class "Space Wizard"

It's not that, it's that it's supposed to be a bloody shield proc.