Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybinding and multiple characters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Keybinding and multiple characters

Voroshilov
12.14.2011 , 09:06 PM | #1
How? I mean, I have one established character where I've setup all my bars and custom keybinds. I created a new character, and everything is all wrong. I shouldn't have to manually set each and every option from scratch. I've already tried the files in "AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings" but these don't contain keybinds or even the state of quick bars.

Am I missing something? I mean, I know Bioware has said they're working on the UI issues but I didn't know they were this bad.

Gaff
12.14.2011 , 10:43 PM | #2
Ya, been trying to figure this out too. It's pretty bad.
"You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

IIII-IIII-IIII
12.14.2011 , 11:00 PM | #3
Unfortunately, it appears you need to customize each character's keybinding as it does not save over.
Operative Iron Citadel
Infiltration, Manipulation, Assassination

redheadedtim
12.14.2011 , 11:02 PM | #4
It has been this way since beta and I'm saddened to see that things like "do I want additional quickbars", key bindings, and chat window settings (opacity, chat fade, timestamp) are STILL not automatically carried across characters. Most options will carry across, but these don't. If others can carry, then it shouldn't be that hard to make these carry.

+1 this needs to change

Interesting to note, I've made a toon with name A on server 1, then toon with the same name on server 2, and I think my chat settings and keybinds stayed on the brand new toon when I created it after deleting the original toon. I could be wrong. Possibly I re-set those in a fog, but I don't "think" I did. I'd be happy to know if anyone confirms or denies this after testing, since I'm too lazy to.

Haydon
12.14.2011 , 11:56 PM | #5
Yeah, it's pretty big issue with the UI.

At the very least, you should be able to set up all your stuff and then "save as default."
Then with all your other characters just go into options and click set to default.

Setting 24+ keybinds per character after the first isn't a big deal, but it is REALLY annoying. This is one of those little things that makes a game feel polished.

mathisk
12.15.2011 , 12:17 AM | #6
Agreed. This is something that would be a great feature.

Personally, I like the way Rift implemented the UI features, regarding importing settings from another character, exporting them to a file so you could import them for characters on other servers, etc.

Hellmet
12.15.2011 , 01:21 AM | #7
SWTOR is lightyears behind Rift regarding the UI. They had the time and money to get it right but no, lets do some half arsed ui instead..
It's a trap!

riny
12.15.2011 , 02:19 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by redheadedtim View Post
I

Interesting to note, I've made a toon with name A on server 1, then toon with the same name on server 2, and I think my chat settings and keybinds stayed on the brand new toon when I created it after deleting the original toon. I could be wrong. Possibly I re-set those in a fog, but I don't "think" I did. I'd be happy to know if anyone confirms or denies this after testing, since I'm too lazy to.
I bet at some point one of those toons will end up getting borked. Your description sounds like a nasty bug setting itself up for discovery.

As for the OP, I searched for a global customization, but didn't find one. It seems options got the back seat during design meetings (as maybe it should?).
Advice? You want advice? Don't buy real estate on Alderaan.

redheadedtim
12.15.2011 , 07:08 AM | #9
Additional FYI, on a toon where I had re-used a name from beta (it's my main game name), I still had a customer service ticket in my queue (it was resolved) that I had entered during beta. So there is some funkiness with the re-using of names.

tccurry
12.15.2011 , 07:20 AM | #10
Anyone know if add-ons have been addressed by the developers yet?