Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kinetic Ward/ Dark Ward

LordXalas
01.25.2012 , 02:26 PM | #1
For all of you darkness tanks or w/e the sith equivalent of the shadow kinetic tree is. We all know that Kinetic ward/ Dark Ward sucks as a aoe mitigation "shield". With only 8 charges, in a aoe focus fire pull those charges gets eaten in less then a second. Then we are left there with a 12 sec cd with 22% shield chance which is a life time in a pull.

So i made a thread to seek a change in this skill in the suggestion box.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=231811

voice your concerns and let that thread stay up as long is it as too so someone looks at it and realizes we need a change.

Good Hunting
DDE

LordXalas
01.25.2012 , 04:08 PM | #2
bump!
DDE

LordXalas
01.25.2012 , 05:45 PM | #3
let all your voices be heard!
DDE

LordXalas
01.25.2012 , 08:42 PM | #4
5char
DDE

LordXalas
01.26.2012 , 09:05 AM | #5
/cough
DDE

oddmyth
01.26.2012 , 09:32 AM | #6
Where are you pulling this 22% number from? In 2 piece PVE gear you can get DW up to 20% (+5% from 2 piece bonus).

LordXalas
01.26.2012 , 09:39 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by oddmyth View Post
Where are you pulling this 22% number from? In 2 piece PVE gear you can get DW up to 20% (+5% from 2 piece bonus).
my current shield chance without DW/KW up is only 24%.
DDE

Windkull
01.26.2012 , 12:10 PM | #8
I have 57.7% shield with Dark ward, and if it drops for one or 2 seconds so what... it should never drop more than that since you shouldn't pull an aoe group right after you refresh it, and you can use deflection to carry your charges out longer so they stay up longer.

LordXalas
01.26.2012 , 12:29 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Windkull View Post
I have 57.7% shield with Dark ward, and if it drops for one or 2 seconds so what... it should never drop more than that since you shouldn't pull an aoe group right after you refresh it, and you can use deflection to carry your charges out longer so they stay up longer.
but thats the thing. Shadows can't pull an aoe group without deflection up. Any other tank can pull a group without a CD and without worry of their shield chances dropping.

The only tank that needs to worry about that is us and thats not balanced at all.
What you say windfall is true we can still do that but being that we have to just to be on par with other tanks isn't what bioware wants. Like they stated they want every class to be balanced so you can play what you want but thats not the case with us.

Even juggernauts and guardians are having problems with aoe threat but thats another issue that i keep hearing about also. Vanguards/powertechs are perfect the way they are now.
DDE

oddmyth
01.26.2012 , 01:24 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LordXalas View Post
my current shield chance without DW/KW up is only 24%.
So I asked where you pulled this 22% number and are telling me that your base shield chance is 24%?

Did you mean 22%? Or did you mean 24% originally?

Might want to try raising that 24% up, defense caps at 30% and starts hitting diminishing returns around 23%. Shield/Absorb cap at 50% and hit diminishing returns around 45%. Since we have such a high base defense, we don't need to concentrate on +def as hard as you might think, however most sin/shadow tanks still do. Thus we take spiky damage when our shields are down.

What we want to do is smooth that damage down, on the two roll system you want to get the most efficient use of your stat points. Thus if you are at 22% +def or 44% +shield/absorb, then you should concentrate your stat point allotment elsewhere to help smooth your damage.

Assuming you are at 22% +def or higher:

If you are serious about tanking you use a Fort Stim (provides 43 defense, Rakata Fort Stim is 56), you can't get any other secondary tanking stat from a stim. You want to use that to your advantage, if you are at 22% +def or higher then you can swap out that 43 +def because you are going to hit diminishing returns if you don't. Those 43 stat points are equivalent to another 2% shield chance.

Go get your Rakata implants from dailies. That's 4% shield chance right there.

If you have really high absorb you may want to bring that number down and add some +shield. Mod your gear as you see fit, but the reality is you really do need more +shield. 24% is just not enough to tank effectively.

Currently with stim I'm sitting at
25% def
32% shield
44% absorb

I'm still working on my second Rakata implant so those number will change shortly to:

24.5% def
34% shield
44% absorb

As I've mentioned elsewhere, yes DW/KW falling off rapidly is a problem. A problem with many possible developer side solutions. But we are looking past the end of our nose here if we don't understand how we can make sin/shadow tanking better right now.