Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GPU Temps are far too high for people in this game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
GPU Temps are far too high for people in this game

SVTCarnage
12.14.2011 , 08:58 PM | #1
I noticed first while playing the game in SLI with my 2 Twin Frzor II copper plated gold edtion GTX 470s. They run much cooler then normal GTX 470's, at %75 fan speed the top card stabilized at 82C.

I play BF3, Skyrim & etc on max settings at 1920x1200 and I have never seen 82C. So I took it out of SLI since it is pointless to run SLI because with swtor you see no frame difference. The top card (main card) temp eventually hit 82C & stabilized there.

So I called my rl friends with equal to a bit lower end computers and they said there GPU temps are ridiculous as well.

82C, with a In Win Dragon Rider case with coolermaster fans blowing directly on the GPU's, 70 - 75f room temp, %70 fan speed and I am getting 82C? 85C is the max MSI Afterburner will allow the cards to run at, that is asinine.

The GPU is being used way too much.

Rammon
12.14.2011 , 09:02 PM | #2
You're not the first person who seems to notice their card running hot, but even if it's stabilized at 82 degrees celcius, I wouldn't fret too much. You sounds like your computer can easily handle it, the 75-80 range is still fairly common for high demanding games and still very tolerable, 90+ a little worse for wear.

Skodar
12.14.2011 , 09:08 PM | #3
470s are Fermis, Fermis run hot. Always have, always will. From my understanding SWTOR takes a little more from the cards than BF3 and other unnamed mmos. Don't worry, they're made to run hot, and unless you're running real temp sensors and not software sensors, you're not getting an accurate reading anyway. If you're running a temp sensor at 95+, then worry. Till then, enjoy your space heater during the winter months.
What they need to do is stop trying to "balance" for PvP and publically state the obvious -- that PvP is a mini-game in a MMORPG.

Savara
12.14.2011 , 09:09 PM | #4
I noticed my system running hot as well. But that was the only problem I noticed - it didn't actually DO anything negative, unlike a number of other games that ran my system warmer than I'd like. No crashes, lag, stuttering or overheats. Just sort of hit a warm peak and stayed there.

Honestly, I'm comfortable with that.
Nyateneri - Chii | Sava'ra - Enaeru | Senre - Enaeru | Nyateneri-- Enaeru
----Cleric ------- Entertainer ------- Priest | Druid ------ Chanter | Spiritmaster ----Mage--
Squadron 11.11.11

SVTCarnage
12.14.2011 , 09:10 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rammon View Post
You're not the first person who seems to notice their card running hot, but even if it's stabilized at 82 degrees celcius, I wouldn't fret too much. You sounds like your computer can easily handle it, the 75-80 range is still fairly common for high demanding games and still very tolerable, 90+ a little worse for wear.
Well firstly, I am stupid.. 85C max is the max temp my gpu hits. I thought it met 85C is the max before it will shut off and I know it just didn't click in my moment of freak out.

Secondly, your probably mostly right, BUT, it is a fact that Skyrim on max settings does not see over 75C and BF3 never sees over 77C.

But I think i will be fine, at least I have a backup card.

Thanks for reply everyone.

Wapner
12.14.2011 , 09:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SVTCarnage View Post
Well firstly, I am stupid.. 85C max is the max temp my gpu hits. I thought it met 85C is the max before it will shut off.

Secondly, your probably mostly right, BUT, it is a fact that Skyrim on max settings does not see over 75C and BF3 never sees over 77C.

But I think i will be fine, at least I have a backup card.

Thanks for reply everyone.
Skyrim and BF3 are both pretty poor examples to use in this situation, tbh. They are both much more CPU heavy than GPU heavy. The engine that TOR is built on is just taking better advantage of your GPU, and taking some stress off your CPU. Compare CPU temps while in those games vs TOR.

Eginhardt
12.14.2011 , 09:15 PM | #7
I think the game causes everything to run hot, period. I'm using a laptop and it caused my whole system to hit at like 75 Celsius. Like someone said, it didn't do anything and I played it for like 6 hours like that but it was still overheating. Even now with a two fan cooling pad, it's running at 55-60 Celsius. Granted I'm using a Sony Vaio which are known to overheat but I remember people mentioning that it was overheating during the beta.
"Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer my fantasy RPG characters not be wearing assless chaps."
"Young girls are told you have to be the delicate princess. Hermione taught them that you can be the warrior. - Emma Watson"

Valethar
12.14.2011 , 09:20 PM | #8
I have a pair of GTX 465's running in SLI with the fans at 70%, everything in the game set to high, and barely go above 50 degrees on them.

Skyrim and several other games actually run hotter.

I'm running the 285.79 Beta drivers though, which may have something to do with it.
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

SVTCarnage
12.14.2011 , 10:59 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Valethar View Post
I have a pair of GTX 465's running in SLI with the fans at 70%, everything in the game set to high, and barely go above 50 degrees on them.

Skyrim and several other games actually run hotter.

I'm running the 285.79 Beta drivers though, which may have something to do with it.
Interesting, what resolution?

TygerHawks
12.14.2011 , 11:05 PM | #10
Release seems to stress the system much more then beta. Had no problem running beta on my machine, release ran it until it shut down...twice, both during npc conversations.

Got my Christmas present early. Since I didn't have much money, didn't buy that much of an improvement and am hoping this one handles things better.