Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Enjoy story or just "get it done"?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Enjoy story or just "get it done"?

Pengatron
01.25.2012 , 02:10 PM | #1
Quoted from someone's long "review" of TOR in another thread...

Quote:
I don't care about your life story, I just want to get this quest out of the way.
(referring to the voice and animated scenes you get with the quest givers)

And that's the problem with many players. They do not want to experience the quest and the story and the adventure, they just want to "get it done" and move on to the next one. Click, go, click, go, click, go, etc

They may as well just be playing "Generic MMORG" where all you do is get quest, do quest, turn in quest, and move on. Not caring whether it is SciFi, fantasy, or Cowboys and Indians.
They just see it as a mechanical process, not as an adventure in a specific setting (Star Wars, in this case).
You do not stop playing games because you get old,
you get old because you stop playing games.

CalvinDu
01.25.2012 , 02:11 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Pengatron View Post

And that's the problem with many players. They do not want to experience the quest and the story and the adventure, they just want to "get it done" and move on to the next one. Click, go, click, go, click, go, etc

They may as well just be playing "Generic MMORG" where all you do is get quest, do quest, turn in quest, and move on. Not caring whether it is SciFi, fantasy, or Cowboys and Indians.
They just see it as a mechanical process, not as an adventure in a specific setting (Star Wars, in this case).
It's hard to care.. when the objectives given and the process to complete said objectives seem mechanical in every way.

WizzyWarlock
01.25.2012 , 02:13 PM | #3
I think they're talking about the side quests, which in my opinion are three minutes of voice overed fluff followed by, "Go click on three glowing objects.". If there was more variation to the quests then I'd be more inclined to listen, but after the 30th 'Go click on three glowing objects' after listening patiently for 3 minutes, I tend to find a use for that space bar.

Nexelau
01.25.2012 , 02:13 PM | #4
That's the way they want to play. I'm enjoying the story, but on my third alt through Korriban I'm skipping most of the dialogue.. I've heard it all before.

I don't understand the people skipping it the first time, but it's what they are conditioned to do by the MMO community at large.

Amusingly, to me, this is the one game where it is not encouraged by the devs.

TheHeadCapper
01.25.2012 , 02:14 PM | #5
I love the story in this game. Not interested in any other MMO's, don't want to collect boar tusks for soup and have no options on how to complete the quest.

To each their own, although it doesn't surprise me when people who spacebar the stories don't enjoy the game as much as i do.
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions

knell
01.25.2012 , 02:14 PM | #6
I care about the main story. I skip or space bar most of the side quest.

Griminal
01.25.2012 , 02:16 PM | #7

I'm guessing this is a troll but if it isn't would you mind explaining to me why there's a problem if a player isn't interested in a story but rather the game play?

asciiadam
01.25.2012 , 02:16 PM | #8
What story are you talking about? My level 16 Sage is having so much fun in WarZones, I only completed my first quest on the main world at 16!
Burst class does burst damage.

More news at 11 including snipers shoot stuff with guns.

Force_Me
01.25.2012 , 02:24 PM | #9
And that's the problem with many players. They do not want to experience the quest and the story and the adventure, they just want to "get it done" and move on to the next one. Click, go, click, go, click, go, etc.
I have the opposite problem... I want to listen to the stories and could care less about the quest. Oh well, to each his own!

Pengatron
01.25.2012 , 02:29 PM | #10
Quote:
I'm guessing this is a troll but if it isn't would you mind explaining to me why there's a problem if a player isn't interested in a story but rather the game play?
The "get it done" mindset I saw in the phrase I quoted originally gave me the impression that person was not even interested in the game play, just in getting things done in the fastest way possible, just to get to max level as fast as possible (for what reason I do not know).

That person was calling these "stories" a "negative mark" in his review because it slowed down his "getting it done". My response is if you want a fast "get things done" type of game play, instead of a "take your time and enjoy the journey" type of game play, then this is not the game for you.
You do not stop playing games because you get old,
you get old because you stop playing games.