Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FPS/Lag solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FPS/Lag solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!

XornonJay
12.14.2011 , 08:48 PM | #1
It seems like many people are having trouble with severe lag and FPS drop when around and upon entering buildings. A lot of people did not have this problem during the beta tests (ie: me and my brothers). The solution that seems to work for us, and for many others is to set all of the graphics to low, and the shadows to OFF. This problem appears to be on BioWares side, as some of the people who are having this problem have computers that should run SWTOR set to medium at least. Hope this helps some of you.
Xornon

IowaSith
12.14.2011 , 08:50 PM | #2
I have a solution, as well. Check out my thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=22757

Coyotecalls
12.14.2011 , 08:58 PM | #3
I think the lag problem is mostly caused by Bioware's HORRIBLE HORRIBLE memory allocation and clean up programing. Oddly, I found quite by accident how to fix it while in Beta. I took a screen shot of how TERRIBLE the game was acting inside the Canteena and then opened photoshop to crop it down to just what I wanted to post.

Much to my surprise when I alt-tabed back to the game it was perfect. I went outside, came back in, and it was perfect. I thought it must have just been a passing bug or something so I saved the image and closed photoshop, then I went back to the game window and everything was jacked-up again...

After thinking about it for a moment I reopened photoshop and went back to the game, it was perfect again! Sure enough I could increase my FPS to around 58 inside the most dense part of the city by.. turning on photoshop.. ???

Adobe has a memory manager program built in that dumps any unused RAM and cleans it for use. Something Bio-ware might need to look into since the game seems to be bottle necking inside the cities.
Wow, reading some of these posts, it's amazing we can actually function as a society at all...
~Livingston, SWTOR Forums.

DarthMaxiss
12.14.2011 , 09:06 PM | #4
Nice catch! Going to remember that.
All the way to Alderaan -
Squadron 14-610

Eginhardt
12.14.2011 , 09:06 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by XornonJay View Post
It seems like many people are having trouble with severe lag and FPS drop when around and upon entering buildings. A lot of people did not have this problem during the beta tests (ie: me and my brothers). The solution that seems to work for us, and for many others is to set all of the graphics to low, and the shadows to OFF. This problem appears to be on BioWares side, as some of the people who are having this problem have computers that should run SWTOR set to medium at least. Hope this helps some of you.
Xornon
I've noticed that you can set the graphics on high and have the shadows turned off and it works better than having them on low and the shadows off.
"Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer my fantasy RPG characters not be wearing assless chaps."
"Young girls are told you have to be the delicate princess. Hermione taught them that you can be the warrior. - Emma Watson"

MikeTheDuke
02.02.2013 , 06:13 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Coyotecalls View Post
I think the lag problem is mostly caused by Bioware's HORRIBLE HORRIBLE memory allocation and clean up programing. Oddly, I found quite by accident how to fix it while in Beta. I took a screen shot of how TERRIBLE the game was acting inside the Canteena and then opened photoshop to crop it down to just what I wanted to post.

Much to my surprise when I alt-tabed back to the game it was perfect. I went outside, came back in, and it was perfect. I thought it must have just been a passing bug or something so I saved the image and closed photoshop, then I went back to the game window and everything was jacked-up again...

After thinking about it for a moment I reopened photoshop and went back to the game, it was perfect again! Sure enough I could increase my FPS to around 58 inside the most dense part of the city by.. turning on photoshop.. ???

Adobe has a memory manager program built in that dumps any unused RAM and cleans it for use. Something Bio-ware might need to look into since the game seems to be bottle necking inside the cities.
If you knew anything about Windows memory management you would know this is a complete crock. Why, this is because of the way Windows handles memory in an application. Dumps unused RAM and cleans it. How does it clean it. There is a thread, the lowest priority on the machine, so low you would not be aware of it, it is the zero page thread. Its job is when pages are places are placed on the free list it is zeroed so its contents can be allocated when a request comes in.

Photoshops memory management would do nothing to help SWTOR. Why did having photoshop running help SWTOR, don't know, I don't have issues to the extent so many people have. One of the things I noticed, is I have a decent video card, but my CPU previously was not great, but no slouch, a 2.4GHz Quad Core. I upgraded to a i7 3.5GHz and the change was astounding. I also noticed that there is sometimes a massive difference in between using the PhysX processing. Turn it to GPU if on Auto or CPU. Auto, Nvidia drivers look at the the CPU and make a determination of where it should run physX, if you have a multi-core system it will pick the CPU each time. But PhysX processing is incredibly processor intensive and CPUs though not ready for retirement will chock a bit of on processing them, and that of all the other tasks it has to do.

Also, if you want to know more about Windows memory management and how to perhaps understand what happening with applications and their use of virtual memory (not the swap file). then check outMysteries of Memory Management Revealed,with Mark Russinovich

There are plenty of tools around to see the stress of your system is under while running the application. It could be the speed of the memory, disk bus, front side bus, north bridge or south bridges. If you noticed a change, take note when, remember what happened. Perhaps roll back the video drivers to the previous version.
I post about Star Wars on my blog. Check it out
http://xnagamedeveloper.wordpress.co...ory/star-wars/
MikeDodgers @YouTube