Surge VS Accuracy: What is better?

capnaverage

I'd like to get the ball rolling on some Surge VS Accuracy conversation. I'm currently Scrapper and I have been favouring Surge gear for higher crit damage. However i've noticed that some Rakata gear is labelled with healing-type names.

What do you prefer on your Scrapper? Should I be stacking Accuracy instead?

Really? I thought Accuracy stacked past 100% had an anti-armor effect.

Edit: Tooltip - Chance that your technological attacks will affect the target. Accuracy over 100% reduces the target's resistance.

Edited by capnaverage

I believe it's an anti-defense property. In other words, it's less likely the enemy will deflect/dodge your attacks. I haven't done enough testing to see if it makes a notable difference. (I doubt it's worth it for a Scoundrel compared to a Gunslinger though.) Edited by Rown

so the basic idea is to get to 100% accuracy and then stack surge, crit, or power? up to this point i've just worked on getting the pvp champion gear or the columi gear and then stick with the mods that are in em, but kind of wondering if switching out some of the power for crit or surge would be better. i'm also atm using a +power use relic so wondering if it would be better to get a crit or surge one instead.

I believe it's an anti-defense property. In other words, it's less likely the enemy will deflect/dodge your attacks.

So now that we're clear on this; my question would be:

Does being behind your target make your target dodge/deflect less?

Logic and prior knowledge of That Other Big MMO tells me this would likely be the case, but I have absolutely no idea how to start testing this. As a Scrapper, this'd be very useful to know.

I probably wasn't clear enough. Accuracy reduces the opponent's defense chance (avoidance) and their resistance (which nobody has) so that your attacks miss or are resisted less often past 100%.

The vast majority of our attacks as a scrapper are tech damage which bypasses defense (avoidance) and is only affected by resistance (which nobody has). Only flurry of bolts and quick shot are white hits which are actually affected by avoidance. Missing a 400 damage flurry of bolts attack isn't anything to worry about and you shouldn't be using quick shot much at all.

For this reason, remove all your accuracy mods and go for the surge ones. I personally have stacked 5x of the 23end 34power 48surge ones in my battlemaster gear, but the 23end 34crit 48surge are pretty good... as are the 38end 19(power/crit) 48surge if you want more HP.

If you've decided to punish yourself by going dirty fighting, you may want ~200 or so accuracy rating just to guarantee hits with wounding shots main hit (white hit) against the lightsaber classes with a base 10% defense.

Edited by Kutsus

So there seems to be two sides of this post. Some are saying

1) Get accuracy to 100%, then go for other stats, while others are saying

2) Don't worry about accuracy at all, just stack other stats.

Can we get a confirmation on which one is true, and if possible, how this is known (maybe some actually test data)?

So there seems to be two sides of this post. Some are saying

1) Get accuracy to 100%, then go for other stats, while others are saying

2) Don't worry about accuracy at all, just stack other stats.

Can we get a confirmation on which one is true, and if possible, how this is known (maybe some actually test data)?

My post is very true. Over 100s of warzones and way too many hours of open world pvp, the only resist I have ever seen to one of my tech damage attacks (anything with a yellow damage number) is when a sith assassin pops their 100% tech resistance bubble.

Just go into your character sheet and mouse over your defense stat, and look how much "resist" stat you have. 0.00.... lol

Edited by Kutsus

So now that we're clear on this; my question would be:

Does being behind your target make your target dodge/deflect less?

Logic and prior knowledge of That Other Big MMO tells me this would likely be the case, but I have absolutely no idea how to start testing this. As a Scrapper, this'd be very useful to know.

Since scrapper's tech attacks can not be dodged or deflected, the point is moot. However I can confirm that dodge/deflect are 360 degree functions, as the animation on my sage when he blocks sniper blaster bolts flying at my back is pretty cool looking :D

Again, only white damage attacks can be dodged/deflected. Our class has flurry of bolts, quick shot, charged shot (the 1.5s cast in cover) and wounding shots primary hit for the entire list of white attacks that we are capable of.

Shoot first, back blast, dirty kick, blaster whip, vital shot, frag grenade, flying fists, sucker punch, sabotage charge, flechette round, hemorrhaging blast are all tech attacks (yellow damage) that can not be dodged or deflected. They can be resisted, but everybody has 0.0 chance to resist, and with 100% base accuracy on all tech attacks... you will never be resisted (except in the case of assassin 100% tech resist bubble).

Edited by Kutsus

My post is very true. Over 100s of warzones and way too many hours of open world pvp, the only resist I have ever seen to one of my tech damage attacks (anything with a yellow damage number) is when a sith assassin pops their 100% tech resistance bubble.

Just go into your character sheet and mouse over your defense stat, and look how much "resist" stat you have. 0.00.... lol

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

With everything having been said in this thread... I will give this advice. DO NOT throw away your accuracy mods, especially the lvl 58 ones in your battlemaster gear. Just save them in the bank. I am hopeful that BW will eventually see the imbalance with some classes needing accuracy and others not and make some changes.

When do you want to start choosing Surge over Crit? I read somewhere that you want to hit the soft cap of 30% for crit. Is this true? And is that before or after your buff?

I would try to hit at least 36-38% crit or so with your self buff up before really jumping into POWER over crit.

With the current enhancement choices in this game at level 50, you don't have to choose between surge and crit. It's either 23end 34power 48surge or 23end 34crit 48surge.

does the lack of accuracy being needed for pvp work in the same in like operations? and if so is it better to try and stack surge over crit?

Honestly couldn't tell you, but I can't remember seeing any resists/misses when doing EV hardmode or any of the 4mans.

one odd thing is i tried taking out accuracy enhancement to replace em with surge ones. i noticed my accuracy % didn't change. and that when i tried to put accuracy enhacement back in my accuracy % went even higher than before. which makes me wonder how high my % really is but apparently my accuracy percentage was already 109% so even if the accuracy is lower than the % suggests figure it will still be high enough and the 3% extra crit and the 17% higher crit modifier will definitely be worth it. also looking at my character sheet it shows that i have 336 which it says is 10.17% and puts my basic accuracy is 100% with the bonus being 10.17% the odd part is that when i add up the accuracy on my gear it is 142. so maybe we already are basically at 100% without accuracy on our gear which would explain why people haven't been having any misses. but the rating increasing every time we put a enhancement mod in whether we leave it in or not is odd.

nvm it was just a bug after reloading my accuracy rating was fixed and my tech accuracy is 104% without ranged being like 94%. the base tech accuracy is still 100% where under ranged accuracy weapon accuracy is 90%, 94.88 range accuracy with 104.8 for special attacks and 94.8 for white attacks. so it would seem as a scrapper it would work to ignore accuracy rating and then stack like surge especially with the talent that increases crit chance by 16% and the 2 piece columi bonus of another 15% (at least for backblast) will have to still try it out in an operation though.

So you don't believe accuracy eats into the damage reduction of kinetic damage in the defense tab when stacking it over 100%? I highly doubt all this accuracy going around is completely useless. Id say its probably on par or even better than other stats because most people have a lot of kinetic damage reduction. If it does eat into kinetic damage reduction id say go accuracy. In PvE I have no clue but I know I have 25% kinetic reduction. Go accuracy! :cool:

So you don't believe accuracy eats into the damage reduction of kinetic damage in the defense tab when stacking it over 100%? I highly doubt all this accuracy going around is completely useless. Id say its probably on par or even better than other stats because most people have a lot of kinetic damage reduction. If it does eat into kinetic damage reduction id say go accuracy. In PvE I have no clue but I know I have 25% kinetic reduction. Go accuracy! :cool:

Earlier in the thread it was explained that accuracy does not reduce armor, just the enemy's defense. Defense in this game is equivalent to avoidance in other games. That means chance to dodge or deflect. Our main attacks cannot be dodged or deflected.

Earlier in the thread it was explained that accuracy does not reduce armor, just the enemy's defense. Defense in this game is equivalent to avoidance in other games. That means chance to dodge or deflect. Our main attacks cannot be dodged or deflected.

It reduces resistances for our tech damage. It's basically a melee frostbolt compared to other games. Our main attacks cant be dodged correct but they apparently can be resisted I'm assuming.

It reduces resistances for our tech damage. It's basically a melee frostbolt compared to other games. Our main attacks cant be dodged correct but they apparently can be resisted I'm assuming.

Log into the game and hover your mouse over your "defense" stat. Look at how much resistance chance you have. All tech attacks have a base 100% accuracy without any accuracy rating. All classes have 0.00% chance to resist.

Edited by Kutsus

Log into the game and hover your mouse over your "defense" stat. Look at how much resistance chance you have. All tech attacks have a base 100% accuracy without any accuracy rating. All classes have 0.00% chance to resist.

But they have a base reduction. Hover over the stat above it. There is no way they put minimum 10% worth the accuracy on both pve and pvp gear to make it completely useless.