Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Online orders waiting for physical copy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Online orders waiting for physical copy?

pyradius
12.14.2011 , 08:32 PM | #1
I consider this the fault of both retailer and Bioware. They could have arranged for this to be handled in a certain way that does not create a massive gap in play time. People also scheduled vacation time around these events.

I myself ended up ordering the CE from Walmart.com as it was the only one that still had them in stock when I looked around. This was around the 1st of November.

Now after speaking to Walmart.com's customer service, they're not even planning to SHIP the game until 12/23, and at the time I didn't place rush shipping on it. When I asked them if I could change my shipping method now, they said that for security purposes(?) I would not be able to do so.

So a game ordered 2 months in advance, with a known release date (this is the specific area I fault Bioware on) and they don't even ship the product until 3 days AFTER release? I am not one of those griping about the staggered early access. That makes perfect sense. What blows my mind is that I am supposedly getting some sort of EGA for a couple days, then my access to the game is REMOVED for what looks like possibly a week's time.

I'm leaning towards just canceling the CE from Walmart.com at this point and picking up a regular copy on the release date.

I mean really, what's better, getting to play a couple days early OR not having to wait possibly a WEEK post-release to start playing and simply playing on day 1 of release?

Surely it's not expecting a whole lot that either:

1. They could have planned the ship/arrival dates around the actual release of the game
2. They could have planned a method of distribution that emails you the product key for the actual game

Rulyen
12.14.2011 , 08:35 PM | #2
Bioware has been negotiating with their retailers on earlier shipping dates to try and combat post-launch deliveries. Amazon has announced they will begin shipping the 15th, with deliveries guarenteed by the 19th at the earliest. Some people are getting emails stating delivery on the 16th.
. Fear teh Beta Pixel!

Nozze
12.14.2011 , 08:41 PM | #3
Addressing your points at the end...

1) It's up to the retailers. All BioWare can do is pressure them into shipping early.
2) In order for the retailers to e-mail you a product code, they would have to open up your product. Not everyone is okay with this.

Perhaps we should make a thread requesting a 7 day grace period?
Wound in the Force - Quorra - Scrapper Scoundrel
Vote for me in the Maxim Gamer Girl Contest!
http://www.maximgamergirl.com/quorra
You can vote once a day, every day until May 25th.

Dalmyra
12.14.2011 , 08:47 PM | #4
I also bought the CE from Walmart at the end of October. I chose standard shipping because there was a post on the forums that said there would be a grace period to allow for shipping. Estimated delivery is showing as 1/3/12. If there was no grace period I would have purchased the digital deluxe instead in which case I wouldn't have to worry about being locked out come 12/20. Give people a week or 2 to allow for shipping times and just have them start a subscription.

If BW wants to require me to start a subscription to allow me to play until my package arrives that's fine. The included 30 days could start once I've entered the code and the initial subscription period ends.
Dao-ith
DEATH DEALERS
Quote: Originally Posted by Legioncy
Of course. I'm Gonna Cry More.

Mycah
12.14.2011 , 08:49 PM | #5
I'm actually in the exact same position, normally I would have purchased from a different source, but timing, real life, money are factors for some people too. I was also one of the people who got the email notification about the orders being canceled and then the order status' being put back to "Processing".

Even if it shipped on the 20th, with holiday shipping time frames, I would be lucky to see it before the 28th. If at all, there is still no confirmation whether or not Walmart is even going to be able to fulfill all of the orders anyway.

So, not only did we pay the extra cost ( justfied, excessive if you think... whatever ), but CE customers don't get preferance for early access? really? so when the game goes live... those who purchsed a digital download today, can play on launch. But the poor saps who have to wait for a physical copy are S.O.L.? Becuase we have to enter in a code fromt he box, that you can't suppliment to us via another method, i mean we do have proof of the fact that we did pre-order. Thats how you treat a customer who goes above and beyond to purchase a CE? Thats what we get? Nothing? Really?

( God, I really hope i didnt miss a post somewhere about us CE's getting some cool stuff =P )

pyradius
12.14.2011 , 09:03 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozze View Post
Addressing your points at the end...

1) It's up to the retailers. All BioWare can do is pressure them into shipping early.
2) In order for the retailers to e-mail you a product code, they would have to open up your product. Not everyone is okay with this.

Perhaps we should make a thread requesting a 7 day grace period?
True enough on point number 2. But I am honestly a bit confused at point number 1. Perhaps I am just confused on when Walmart actually received the physical copies, but I am honestly at a loss how both parties would not have coordinated the arrival of the product. They had months of advanced knowledge to plan the deliveries. Why would Walmart arbitrarily choose the 20th or later as their shipping date? My belief is that they were told not to ship until the 20th for whatever reason...and that decision would have come from Bioware.

I would love a grace period, but it is my understanding that Bioware has eliminated this possibility. I would at least like to know why Bioware is against this idea. They could easily link the access to the grace period to whether you have a pre-order code validated on your account. This pre-order code was shipped to me over a month ago and I entered it into my account the day I received it. Surely this should be proof enough of purchase for Bioware to allow me a grace period. Hell I'd even pay for a grace period of 7 days at this point.

neorat
12.14.2011 , 09:03 PM | #7
They should have issued something like Tempons to customers that have to wait beyond the 20th.

Tempons issued on the 20th toward orders that are being shipped or in transit after the 20th. Tempon codes are linked to the buyer's information/account. Tempons provide a 14 day access. Once the official product code is entered it will override the Tempons status and the 30day free play is reduced by the number of days in which the customer used from their Tempons.

or something to that effect.

soneil
12.14.2011 , 09:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dalmyra View Post
Give people a week or 2 to allow for shipping times and just have them start a subscription.
To me that would be the fair thing to do. I ordered mine the day pre-orders became available and ordered it from amazon since there was no way I could get a collectors edition from any store here in western australia. Currently amazon estimates I'll get it late dec or early jan. Kinda defeats the purpose of a pre-order if I can't play it for a couple of weeks after launch anyway. If my pre-order's good enough for me to play the game now with early access, then surely EA must be able to provide some way for me to play the game I've paid for while I wait for the box to arrive. Especially since I don't even need the physical discs to actually install the game.
Academy Exemplar - Gav Daragon
Republic 50s - Nefash, Tal-Hirron, Delin
Imperial 50s - Terrill, Rending, Vermeesa
Nefash's Pilot Training School - Space missions resource.

Rulyen
12.14.2011 , 09:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by soneil View Post
To me that would be the fair thing to do. I ordered mine the day pre-orders became available and ordered it from amazon since there was no way I could get a collectors edition from any store here in western australia. Currently amazon estimates I'll get it late dec or early jan. Kinda defeats the purpose of a pre-order if I can't play it for a couple of weeks after launch anyway. If my pre-order's good enough for me to play the game now with early access, then surely EA must be able to provide some way for me to play the game I've paid for while I wait for the box to arrive. Especially since I don't even need the physical discs to actually install the game.
Double check your delivery date. Amazon just announced within the last couple days that their shipments will begin on the 15th, which should bring up the delivery dates significantly.
. Fear teh Beta Pixel!

xxAbyssxx
12.14.2011 , 09:15 PM | #10
I'd actually pre-ordered CE via Walmart, and was told I wasn't going to even get a pre-order access code, so I canceled my order and just ordered the Digital Deluxe version. Yeah, it's a little less in that I don't get the CE store in game, but meh, I didn't want to wait a week or two longer just to get to play.