Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Clone wars vs old Clone Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
New Clone wars vs old Clone Wars

AbelMorvant
01.24.2012 , 10:18 PM | #1
I honestly haven't watched much of the new series but with my SW fandom renewed by playing this game I was thinking about it. However, i heard a lot of bad things about it compared to the hand drawn animated series they did between Ep II and III.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like it may ruin everything I liked about the old Clone Wars, and I personally loved that series - I thought it had enough to bridge the gap between Ep II and III but didn't feel drawn out, I have this horrible feeling that that's what the new series does.

Spo what do you think is better? The new CG version or the old hand drawn shorts?

BrandonSM
01.24.2012 , 10:19 PM | #2
CGI is much better. And the old one was more of a massive brawl than anything.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Wolfninjajedi
01.24.2012 , 10:22 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
CGI is much better. And the old one was more of a massive brawl than anything.
^This

The CGI has actual story with action, plus you get to know the characters a lot more and get a feel for them.

In the micro-series it was pretty much all battles, and very very lose story(if any was there to begin with) and it really made certain characters way OP(Grevious most noticeably...and Durge, but at the very least Durge could be beaten temporarily. So he wasn't as OP as Grevious, Mace Windu was very OP too.)
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Guildrum
01.24.2012 , 10:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
^This

The CGI has actual story with action, plus you get to know the characters a lot more and get a feel for them.

In the micro-series it was pretty much all battles, and very very lose story(if any was there to begin with) and it really made certain characters way OP(Grevious most noticeably...and Durge, but at the very least he could be beaten temporarily.)
Mace Windu beating every single droid on a planet without using a lightsaber...

Right...

Wolfninjajedi
01.24.2012 , 10:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post

Right...
Ya that too, almost forgot bout that scene.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Theos_Braddock
01.24.2012 , 11:01 PM | #6
You guys hit the nail on the head on the animated series.

But I will go ahead and post my thoghts::

All good points; figured I would repost this here as it more or less states why I prefer the CGI series to the animated one.

Please note, my original post was in response to the question whether we view the old (Animated Series) or new (CGI Series) as Star Wars cannon and to explain our response. Not exactlly on topic but one that I feel would work in this thread.

-------OLD POST------

Reason for my choice is because I can not stand OP characters in ANY form.

Now it is true that the CGI version does have its far share of op moments; as mentioned above with Ashoka vs Grevious; but all that pales (imo) to the scenes from the animated version.

The one part were mace windu pretty much destroys an entire droid army single handedly; with his BARE HANDS no less; then takes out the droid super weapon in three seconds, followed by him force leaping to a nearby mountain top to get a drink is the most enraging.

That scene played out more like a Jedi Mountain Dew commercial than a cannonicly (sp?) accurate take on the Star Wars lore.

Also that scene with Grevious taking on the four (or was it five) jedi was a little over the top as well; espcecially when the cartoon show more or less tells the audience that General Grevious > the Star Wars version of an attack helicopter.

The animated version of the Clone Wars to me, sits on the same leve as the Force Unleashed video games. Pretty much a fanboy-ish take on jedi / sith and force powers in general.

I mean if mace windu was really that powerful then why even bother with the clone army? Just send him to each seperatist planet, and watch as he would proceed to faceroll the entire enemy army by himself.

More or less the animated clone wars series and the force unleashed games has given me a deep seated hatred of force users in general.

The whole: "Well, I have the Force so I automatically win at everything." veiwpoint is frustrating to me, and (IMO) does not match the way Jedi / Sith were portrayed in the OT.

/end nerd rage filled rant

----END OLD POST------

One other thing I thought I would bring up concerning the GCI Clone Wars, however is the fact that the droids are mentally handicapped. I know I am stated as being against anything OP in a work of fiction but the opposite remains true as well.

Numerous times on the show Ashoka, Padme, Jar Jar, or some other character has confused droids about to capture them. Examples include but are not limited to pretending to be a bad guy with appropriate clearence, cause the droid to argue with each other and then slip by unnoticed, and sometimes even scaring the robots.

Granted this is a children's show and the droids operated the same way in Episode 3, but the fact that characters could bluff thier way past robots specifically designed and programed for the sole purpose of war is stretching it a little bit.

The most common explanation for this behavior is that the mass production of the droids have resulted in lower intelligence overall. While I can see this side to the subject; wouldn't the droids be more likely to shoot people on sight then ask questions, considering their function as BATTLE Droids.

The fact that Lucas gave the droids a "personality" in the form of having an actual personality detracts from the whole Clone Wars series as a whole (IMO). Not only because it makes the bad guys look like bumbling idiots, but it also doesn't speak very well of the Republic if it took them soooo long to win the war in the first place.

Maybe it's just my preference to robots like: The Terminator, or Warhammer 40K's Necrons that sets me against the light hearted CIS, but still the fact that they (droids) are called BATTLE DROIDS seems to detract from the seperatists over all.

Overall the CGI clone wars is much prefered vs the PT and the animated series, and; like stated above; I love the humanizing done to the clones, and Anikan's and Obi Wan's friendship. Now if only they could work on the droid army in general.

BrandonSM
01.24.2012 , 11:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Theos_Braddock View Post

One other thing I thought I would bring up concerning the GCI Clone Wars, however is the fact that the droids are mentally handicapped. I know I am stated as being against anything OP in a work of fiction but the opposite remains true as well.

The Droids, Binks and, The C-3po and R2-D2 episodes are the "Reminder were a kids show" episodes. Because their meant for 8 year olds.

And I hate when people birng up "slicing people's heads off is kid friendly?"

Well, you'll have to realize sooner or later. Modern Day kids are into that stuff. You got 10 and 11 year olds playing Assassins' Creed and playing Call of Duty or Halo.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Theos_Braddock
01.24.2012 , 11:59 PM | #8
BrandonSM, I realize that the C3-PO, Jar Jar, ect. episodes are all about the kiddie appeal, I get that.

What I don't understand however is why do the "kiddie" droids have to be in almost every scene were there is battle droids.

I mean the Cade Bane arch is awesome and the episodes about Rex and the other clones are well done, and "kiddie-free" for the most part, I just don't see why the driods have to be regulated to comdic relfief, especially since they are supposed to be the main villians during ground and space "large scale" battles.

Imagine the Cade Bane episodes were you always saw a slapstick bounty hunter following him (Bane) around, tripping over his own feet and saying really stupid things.

Or a clone trooper who couldn't shoot strait, and would put his helmet on backwards.

That is the annoyance I feel whenever the droids show up. Robots are supposed to be cool.

The whole concept that you are fighting an enemy that does not feel fear, pain, pity, or remorse; an enemy that will not fall back, or retreat, or surrender is imdimidating; and is why the more serious takes on science fiction robots are so engaging.

I mean I can not watch an episode that tries to humanize the clones; to show the audience that they are people too, with feelings and fears, and not just mindless killers, when the droids are not like that either.

Kinda makes it hard to have a foil to the clones in that reguard.

PartVI
01.25.2012 , 12:47 AM | #9
I think you're blowing it way out of proportion. Yes, it's a kid's show. That it comes across as silly and nonsensical to you is evidence that you're capable of critical thought, but, you're better off using your energy elsewhere. To wit, you're completely forgetting that there are nearly as many scenes of the silly, goofy battle droids shooting and killing people. Mostly clones, but you get the point I hope.

I like the show for what it portrays, honestly. It provides good, if juvenile, entertainment for anyone who watches it and is probably meant to be watched as a family unit. Else there wouldn't be the scenes with politics and intrigue that so closely mirror that of a society that's been fighting a war for as long as the target audience has been alive. It provokes thought, makes kids ask questions and draw parallels.

As to the main characters being 'OP', please. Most of the characters have to survive long enough for Order 66. Even if so many of their clones don't.

Again, it's a kid's show. You're overthinking things and making yourself come across as a purist nerd. Don't be that guy.

jputt
01.25.2012 , 02:59 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post

Right...
The old one helped fill the gap before ep III Was released, so we new reason grievous wheezed so much was his chest plate was caved in in battle.