Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there any difference between ...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Is there any difference between ...

geoffhanna
01.24.2012 , 09:23 PM | #1
(1) One orange-framed blaster and any other orange-framed blaster?
(2) A blaster pistol and a blaster rifle?

Question (1) applies to any orange-framed item. It seems like the only differences are cosmetic. Is that correct?

Question (2) applies to some of my companions who are able to shoot just about anything. How do I figure out the best thing to have them shoot?

Ravager
01.24.2012 , 09:37 PM | #2
Hey there! To answer your questions:

1.) Yep! It is purely cosmetic. The idea with orange items is that they have very unique looks (some look more 'unique' than others), and that a player could keep an item for its looks all the way to the maximum level.

To do this, the player can take mods or purchase them at a modifications vendor and put them in an orange item. That way, you can have a orange lightsaber from level 5 and outfit its stats with mods that make it as powerful as any level 50 lightsaber. It takes longer to get powerful mods in a orange item, but it is a nice way to show off. Mods for other weapons are more on upgrading an item, such as with purples.

2.) The main difference with weapon types is that not all companions are proficient with blaster rifles or pistols. I would see if any abilities require a specific weapon before giving to them. For instance, Aric Jorgan, a Trooper companion, is essentially a mini-Trooper. He has abilities that are complimented with a blaster rifle.

If you can't tell, I would see what their starter weapon was. If it was a pistol, I would stick with pistols. Same stands with upgrading stats. If they initially needed Cunning and Endurance, I would stick tot hat. Hope this helped!
Sexy Panther Fighting Corps!(Spfc!) Selkath.com Forums
The most awesome clubs on Earth. We have a mascot. We are working on the laundromat.
Buskar- The Casual Mandalorian Swinging And Hanging Around Guild

-Azimov-
01.24.2012 , 10:05 PM | #3
1) Yes and No.
You can mod them up to be the same, but normally come with different mods installed.
Some pistols also have hand restrictions making them main hand or off hand only.

2)Pistols and Rifles have the same DPS for the same barrel rating, but Pistols have larger damage variation.
I don't know if critical damage follows this same variation or not, so I just use what ever I like the look of best.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ravager View Post
For instance, Aric Jorgan, a Trooper companion, is essentially a mini-Trooper. He has abilities that are complimented with a blaster rifle.
Aric Jorgan can use Assault Cannons which is preferable to a rifle as it does have a higher DPS for the same rating.

BMaximus
01.24.2012 , 11:03 PM | #4
Ok, here's a question. I have an orange pair of pants that I haven't put on because the blue pair I'm wearing has better stats. Armor, strength, endurance etc. should I be wearing the orange? I don't have better mods or enhancements than are already in them. However the mods in this pair are better than some mods I have in other gear I'm wearing.

So I'm kind of confused as to why the orange pair I got (can't log in at the moment for exact stats) on Taris aren't as good as the blue with no mods.

It's heavy armor with most of the power up in endurance, strength and crit. Definitely something a tank like me would want, but why don't the numbers beat the blue, and with the right mods will they?

BMaximus
01.24.2012 , 11:22 PM | #5
Ok, here's a question. I have an orange pair pants that I haven't put on because the blue pair I'm wearing has better stats. Armor, strength, endurance etc. should I be wearing the orange? I don't have better mods or enhancements than are already in them. However the mods in this pair are better than some mods I have in other gear I'm wearing.

So I'm kind of confused as to why the orange pair I got (can't log in at the moment for exact stats) on Taris aren't as good as the blue with no mods.

It's heavy armor with most of the power up in endurance, strength and crit. Definitely something a tank like me would want, but why don't the numbers beat the blue, and with the right mods will they?

geoffhanna
01.24.2012 , 11:38 PM | #6
If you <Ctl><Right Click> on the orange pants it "opens them" so you can see the components inside. You can acquire - or craft - better components. Adding them improves the pants. Applying the top level components for your current level appears to keep them equal to or better than their blue and purple equivalents.

At least, so I have observed so far.

Darthshnooky
01.24.2012 , 11:52 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by BMaximus View Post
Ok, here's a question. I have an orange pair of pants that I haven't put on because the blue pair I'm wearing has better stats. Armor, strength, endurance etc. should I be wearing the orange? I don't have better mods or enhancements than are already in them. However the mods in this pair are better than some mods I have in other gear I'm wearing.

I would guess you have either:

a) green mods in the custom (orange) pants, or
b) old mods in them.

If you improve the mods in the custom pants, with higher level blue or even purple mods, they will be better than what you have. If you have a blue drop that is better than your custom piece, it just means you need to look into improving the custom gear. Their stats are COMPLETELY dependent on the mods within them. Blues and purples do not use mods in this way (for the most part, exceptions for end-game purples), and have all the stats "baked in." So a "blue" with no mods is about the same as a custom piece with blue mods of that level. Though the custom one might end up better in some instances.

Also, with armor like pants, the "armoring" mod in them is the piece that sets its armor rating, as well as providing stats.