Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are classes REALLY mirrored?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Are classes REALLY mirrored?

Malysoun
12.21.2011 , 10:54 AM | #31
Unfortunately, not having mirrored classes would be incredibly unbalancing.

Originally, I believe, the SW and Trooper were going to be 'action point' based resources whereas JK was going to be a paladin-like force-point manabar.

The decision to make 'focus' and 'rage' be like action points for both classes makes them better balanced in both playstyle and pvp. It would suck if while the SW keeps building rage, the JK ran out of mana mid-fight.

I haven't seen it for myself, but I hear the troopers current 'ammo' vs the BH 'heat' is rather different both because the BH bar works backwards and fills up rather than drains, and the trooper's ammo has to recharge a bar at a time or something which I would think makes pacing different?
▀ΞΞ▇║▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ᶲ

Karinah
12.21.2011 , 10:54 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Bollah View Post
Aric is the Trooper companion, you might be talking about Corso who is a tank.
Yeah, I know he's the trooper companion, he's been my hubby's companion since about level 8, lol. Sorry, should have clarified that I duo level with a trooper, I guess.

(Edit: BAH, you changed your post! <shakes fist> )

Bollah
12.21.2011 , 11:01 AM | #33
To answer the OPs question they are mirrored but the animations can make a different, especially with animation lag.

I played a Operative and Scoundrel the Melee DPS specs and felt the Operative was smoother and more "flowing" compared to the Scoundrel. It really sucks because to me the Operative felt so much better especially abilities that require being behind the opponent.

I have heard of complaints from Troopers also, concerning the animation lag on abilities.

Bravnik
12.21.2011 , 11:27 AM | #34
It would be nice to play a class because it's cool but that can't happen in today's MMO world due to PVP. Gone are the days where you had true diversity of classes and we have entered the new era of cookie cutter clones where if one has a 1 sec cast advantage the PVP warrior wanna-bees cry like little babies.

If I want to PVP I play BF3 or something along those lines. I just don't get the point of PVP in an MMO. You simply can't mix PVE with PVP and have diversity, it can't happen and it's sad

SWImara
12.21.2011 , 11:28 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
No... they aren't entirely mirrored in that manner, but you can still do Heroic +2 since Aric can take quite a bit of damage, you just need to micro manage a little more. Trooper story is worth it though. Best Republic story by far.
Just wanted to second this, I've played a ton of MMOs over the years, so far I am genuinely impressed with the story of SWTOR. Its honestly distractingly good at times, I have 0 desire to spacebar through the dialogue of even side quests and am finding leveling up a total blast. After I get my legacy I wholly intend to pick up an alt to enjoy the other stories as well.

As far as the mirroring its not quite the same, you might find the Commando slightly annoying at times as it has some responsiveness issues when contrasted with the BH (see mortar v. death from above). But overall they play pretty much the same.