Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Are classes REALLY mirrored?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Are classes REALLY mirrored?

Relith's Avatar


Relith
12.15.2011 , 03:24 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jestors View Post
Someone doesn't remember the Albion Cleric's perma-stunning 20+ people on the field of battle. No mirror was a bad idea since Albion ruled PVP until that was fixed
You read this in a book or something? Because if you were there, I think you'd recall that albion clerics had single target stun only, and a pbae ae mez which had a short duration. Midgard healers had the huge ae long duration stun, which basically locked everything down. I guess your point is still valid however.

AlmightyCow's Avatar


AlmightyCow
12.18.2011 , 05:19 PM | #12
I just realized a few days ago that the classes are mirrored.

Truly disappointing to learn this when there are games on the market like WoW that launched with 9 UNIQUE classes. I realize TOR surpasses other MMOs in different areas but it's sad that this game only has 4 classes in it.

Mesamhain's Avatar


Mesamhain
12.18.2011 , 05:27 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AlmightyCow View Post
I just realized a few days ago that the classes are mirrored.

Truly disappointing to learn this when there are games on the market like WoW that launched with 9 UNIQUE classes. I realize TOR surpasses other MMOs in different areas but it's sad that this game only has 4 classes in it.

then you have not played them. The 4 classes per side play dramatically different not only from their "mirror" class but depending on the AC AND the tree. A consular sage with the healing tree plays differently to the tk tree ( with the same powers in cases) and of course completely different from the shadow ac.

there are almost 16 different classes total (varying play style) and definitely 8 separate on each side. it is not as simple as saying four classes total.

AlmightyCow's Avatar


AlmightyCow
12.18.2011 , 06:45 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Mesamhain View Post
then you have not played them. The 4 classes per side play dramatically different not only from their "mirror" class but depending on the AC AND the tree. A consular sage with the healing tree plays differently to the tk tree ( with the same powers in cases) and of course completely different from the shadow ac.

there are almost 16 different classes total (varying play style) and definitely 8 separate on each side. it is not as simple as saying four classes total.
I admit that I haven't played them all. I'm mainly commenting on what I've seen so far. I played the Smuggler through beta and now I'm playing an agent in early access and their abilities are exactly the same. They may be named differently but they make the classes play identically. They both jump into cover, throw the same grenades, same charge up attack, etc.

The advanced classes may give each a few different abilities but the talent trees are identical and the fundamental way the classes play are exact (obviously a healer plays differently than a dps).

I'm loving the stories, don't get me wrong, but a little more class variety would have been nice, and frankly expected from Bioware.

Harlin's Avatar


Harlin
12.18.2011 , 07:03 PM | #15
Yes, until you select your specialization.
"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength,so I will know best how to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear,so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most,so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave,so that I might deny you."- Darth Plagueis

SwigMcJigger's Avatar


SwigMcJigger
12.18.2011 , 07:28 PM | #16
What's the mirror for Mercenary and Sniper?
I Hutball so hard Garadda wants to fine me.

Mithros's Avatar


Mithros
12.18.2011 , 07:36 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by AlmightyCow View Post
I just realized a few days ago that the classes are mirrored.

Truly disappointing to learn this when there are games on the market like WoW that launched with 9 UNIQUE classes. I realize TOR surpasses other MMOs in different areas but it's sad that this game only has 4 classes in it.

Each of the four classes contains two unique ACs, so that makes 8.

A vanguard is not a commando.
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.

FobManX's Avatar


FobManX
12.18.2011 , 11:42 PM | #18
Yeah there are essentially 8 classes in the game, which is perfectly fine.

Quality > quantity.

SootyTX's Avatar


SootyTX
12.19.2011 , 02:57 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AlmightyCow View Post
***snip***

I'm loving the stories, don't get me wrong, but a little more class variety would have been nice, and frankly expected from Bioware.
Honest question - why does more = better? What is gained?

Right now each side has 4 base classes, each with 2 advanced classes, so 8 effective "classes". Now, most of those AC's can play very very differently, even discounting variations within the same playset (DPS/tank/healer) due to the 3 trees in each. Not talking about detailed builds, but basic tree choices;

e.g. Commando - DPS or Healer, Guardian - Tank or DPS

So, factor those in and you have (2 Guardian, 1 Sentinel (since all are dps, although appear to play very differently), 2 Sage, 2 Shadow, 2 Commando, 2 Vanguard, 2 Scoundrel, 1 Gunslinger (like Sent) - a total of FOURTEEN "classes" per side without even getting into variability on the DPS trees, esp for Sent and Gunslinger

I'm just not seeing the problem....

slackbheep's Avatar


slackbheep
12.19.2011 , 06:40 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Jestors View Post
Someone doesn't remember the Albion Cleric's perma-stunning 20+ people on the field of battle. No mirror was a bad idea since Albion ruled PVP until that was fixed
Looks like someone wasn't around prior to the double frost nerf. Either way people seem to forget that daoc was full of one trick classes. Now sit in the corner out of the way and buff us/ run powersong.