Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are classes REALLY mirrored?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Are classes REALLY mirrored?

JeriKu
12.14.2011 , 07:54 PM | #1
I played beta and LOVED Mercenary.

However, my guild / friends have decided to roll Republic for launch.

Will I love Commando?

Kanadaeh
12.14.2011 , 08:30 PM | #2
The abilities are basically mirrors in damage and utilities are the same but animations and the physical appearance is much different. You will have a huge minigun with a commando instead of pistols and rockets.
Yes

canobeansPL
12.14.2011 , 08:30 PM | #3
Gameplay-wise the classes are almost perfectly mirrored. Currently there are minor mechanical differences based on disparity between certain animations (e.g. Death From Above starts almost instantaneously, while Mortar Strike has a noticeable setup period, but deals full damage within a much smaller time window). Some of these differences can be considered unbalancing, which is why they will probably be removed. At least that's what devs' comments would suggest. The only real exception to this rule, if I remember correctly, is the Consular spell "Unity" (gives 50% damage resist to both player and companion). It replaces the Inquisitor's Empire-flavored "Sacrifice" (heals 40% of player's HP while greatly damaging the companion).

All the other differences are cosmetic. In the case of Mercenaries and Commandos, the main differences are weapons sets (dual pistols vs. blaster autocannon), armor design, class resource (heat vs. ammo; functionally identical), flavor (fire and missiles vs. ion/electricity and specialized blaster rounds) and talent/skill names.

JeriKu
12.14.2011 , 08:51 PM | #4
Thanks for the answers, guys!

Can the same be said for companions? Does the Commando start with a healer companion (ala Mako)?

Toogeloo
12.14.2011 , 09:01 PM | #5
No... they aren't entirely mirrored in that manner, but you can still do Heroic +2 since Aric can take quite a bit of damage, you just need to micro manage a little more. Trooper story is worth it though. Best Republic story by far.

JeriKu
12.14.2011 , 09:15 PM | #6
Interesting!

Now I just need to decide on vanguard or commando!

Aaoogaa
12.14.2011 , 10:06 PM | #7
Yes and no. BFG vs. Dual pistols. More rigid military story vs. freelance killer. You don't get a Jawa as a commando.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

Lureei
12.15.2011 , 11:36 AM | #8
kinda lame when u think about it. Some other great games and old classics had way more diversity between classes. Altho the "sorc" from both sides shared the class arche type they really should have all kinds of diffrent spells. hopefully its diffrent kinds of dmg types atleast.

take a game like daoc. had 28 classes at launch and not 1 single on on all 3 realms had the same spells. dmg was diffrent but cast time longer perhaps. or they had 10 unique spells for that class etc.

Listening here just sound like lazy work from BWs side. Just hope in the future that there will be side specific classes, that are unique to that "faction" not mirrored.

Jestors
12.15.2011 , 11:42 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lureei View Post
kinda lame when u think about it. Some other great games and old classics had way more diversity between classes. Altho the "sorc" from both sides shared the class arche type they really should have all kinds of diffrent spells. hopefully its diffrent kinds of dmg types atleast.

take a game like daoc. had 28 classes at launch and not 1 single on on all 3 realms had the same spells. dmg was diffrent but cast time longer perhaps. or they had 10 unique spells for that class etc.

Listening here just sound like lazy work from BWs side. Just hope in the future that there will be side specific classes, that are unique to that "faction" not mirrored.
Someone doesn't remember the Albion Cleric's perma-stunning 20+ people on the field of battle. No mirror was a bad idea since Albion ruled PVP until that was fixed

salamanderx
12.15.2011 , 01:43 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lureei View Post

I kind of thought that at first, but then looking at it more closely they have done an immense amount of work to make it appear different while being functionally the same. The commando uses ammo, while the mercenary gains heat. Merc has two small guns, commando has a bfg. Every ability has been altered cosmetically as much as possible. The animations and looks are incredibly different.

I cant call it lazy. They have expended a great deal of effort to completely mirror the classes while making them seem very different, this is more difficult than starting with a clean slate and making a totally new class. And people CANNOT complain about one side having unbalanced abilities (half of daoc qq were like this).
MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU