Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Balance Shadows - The Unorthodox Way for the ALREADY Unorthodox Jedi

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular > Shadow
[Guide] Balance Shadows - The Unorthodox Way for the ALREADY Unorthodox Jedi

GFreeGamer
12.13.2011 , 08:40 AM | #1
The Balance Shadow Database

Introduction
This will be the collation thread for Balance Shadow builds and guides, plus some general FAQ. Feel free to discuss Balance Shadows in general, as well as link me to your builds. For the most part, everything here should be used in tandem with AstralFire's Jedi Shadow Handbook, and I'd prefer not to have unnecessary duplication of data.

I'd recommend having a separate thread where you go into your build in depth, and can respond to any queries on your build. Just give me the link to the thread and a short description of your build.

My build will be in the next post, so this first post will be links to FAQ, other guides and some analysis of crew skills.

FAQ
Is this the melee/range hybrid?
Yes, but you're optimum efficiency is achieved by dancing between 4m(melee range) and 10m.

Does this mean I don't have to rely on stealth?

Stealth is a tool that allows you to get into position easily. Considering that our only other gap closer is Force Speed, and our large amount of CC, such as Sever Force, you'd be gimping yourself to intentionally never use stealth. However, you don't need stealth to get in melee range. I think about 20m is a good distance to start your opener with Force in Balance and then Project as you run in.

Can I play this class with a single-bladed lightsaber?
No, that's just gimping yourself.For example, you wouldn't be able to use Force Technique, which decreases your DPS and means you can't use Force Breach, which is an important instant cast DoT. Sever Force is important for it's root and maybe as a PvE opener until you get your Force Strike procs, plus DoTs are your main way of maintaining Force Synergy which is a HUGE factor towards your DPS.

Sever Force, 2 second 'freezes in place'?
It means that you get to root your opponent for 2 seconds, not stun them, or incapacitate them. Theoretically, it means you can root a melee opponent and kite them, or root a ranged opponent whilst you close in. Damage seems to be really low, and it does consume more Force than you regen, so it counts towards your resource burning phases, as opposed to you resource conservation phase. Some hate it, some love it, but the best thing about Sever Force is that it adds no resolve, unlike any other CC you have.

Force Suppression charges, how are they consumed?
By what has been observed, a charged is consumed per DoT tick, not by DoT casting, making it more useful than you might imagine, especially whilst you stack up DoTs.

TK Throw, is it a DoT?
Not in the sense that it counts towards consuming Force Suppression charges.

Stats?
From SithWarrior.Com
Quote:
Strength/Willpower/Aim/Cunning Damage Bonus = (Strength or Willpower or Aim or Cunning) * 0.2
Force/Tech Power Damage Bonus = (Force or Tech Power) * 0.23
The link has a huge explanation for how stats work, just realize that Willpower boosts Shadows' melees as well. Mianly, you want Willpower, Critical Chance (really crucial for Balance Shadows), Surge, Power, Force Power, and Accuracy. I'll also state that I stand to be corrected.

Guides
-My builds will be on the post below.
Description: Pretty straightforward IMO, with a good mix of utility and survivability. Patience is a virtue with this build.

-AstralFire's Balance Shadow: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...?t=458#Balance
Description: Straightforward, Astral hasn't given me a writeup, and his post is really long and I don't think I could summarize it myself.

PvP/PvE Gear

PvP: My personal preference is the Force Master PvP set, because it really helps our rotation. The 2 piece of the set is the most important, so it's possible to mix it up with 2 piece Stalker or 2 piece Survivor (if you can get back into stealth easily).

Some people still prefer 2 piece Stalker with 2 piece Survivor, but I honestly think that if you get off your Spinning Kick, you shouldn't need the extra range on Slow, and even if they get out of range somehow, you still have Sever Force.

It's also suggested by some to go full Stalker for the extra Potency charge but we DS spam a lot until we get procs and FiB and Project are our only two consistent skills that use Potency charges. I supposed that FiB is a good enough reason though, but it isn't a big thing for me.

Also, since Expertise has diminishing returns, it's not a bad idea to consider 4 piece PvE stalker set (+15% crit chance to DS) with the rest of your gear being BM pieces.

Crew Skills Analysis

Mainly this will be for the analysis of crafting skills, though if there's a good reason, I will update it with other Crew Skills Info in the future. Once again, verything here should be used in tandem with AstralFire's Jedi Shadow Handbook. Since I don't want unnecessary data duplication, I'd rather everything here the directed specifically at Balance Shadows.

Under Renovation

GFreeGamer
12.13.2011 , 08:41 AM | #2
PvP/Leveling Build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601bcMZoZfMfRrMkrfz.1

Pretty straightforward. It has all the tools you'll need.

If you enter with stealth, you'll want to throw Force in Balance at around 20m whilst running in. Then follow up with Project, meaning you'll have your Force Suppression charges and Twin Disciplines up and ready for you.

If you enter without stealth, I'd recommend throwing down FiB at 30, and using a CC, such as Force Lift or Force Stun, or Force Speed before continuing with Project.

Throw down Force Breach so you have a DoT down, increasing your chance of getting Force Synergy. You should then be ready to smash him with Double Strike, until Force Strike triggers, given you a free Mind Crush, and also allows you to recover Force. In the unlikely chance that you are just never able to trigger Force Strike, then you'll have to use Saber Strike.

This build gives lots of basic utility, and allows for a strong consistent damage. It's often compared to a Watchman Sentinel.

Containment, is great for a quick CC, and Force Stun is a good move to throw down when you have DoTs stacked on opponents and want to stop the damage being dealt to you so you have a burst of regen.

Sever Force is great if the battle starts against you or you can't deal more damage than you can take. The 2 second root every 9 seconds, allows you to keep melee opponents at bay whilst you kite them, and also prevents ranged opponents from kiting you. However, SF's damage is pretty low, and if you use it too much, you'll find yourself out of Force without having done much damage. It's strength comes form allowing you to control the fight, it's not a tool I'd recommend having in your rotation unless you need the extra regens from Focused Insight, perhaps against burst classes, as you'll start the match off at a disadvantage.

PvE Operations Build : http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...MbZcrcRrMkrc.1

From what I remember, this build works similarly to the build above.

Open with FiB, get down Project, lay down some DotS, etc.

What's different about this build is the fact that Shadow Strike allows you a little burst every now and again. If Find Weakness gets up, go for it.

Also, all the healing related talents are foregone for extra damage.

Mind Snap is a gem in HMs.

Eternity Vault Build : http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rsMoZbZfMfRr0krc.1

Standard PvE DPs for the most part. However, Mind Over Matter is and Speed means that when Soa makes lightning balls, have enoguh time to pop em and crash into both balls and resist all the damage.

Quote: Originally Posted by Panzerfire View Post
Hi !

Good to see a shadow thread about balance since build discussions pretty much died out on the assassin side.

Anyway I'll post some builds you can think about and try out if you want.

First up is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601MZGhZfrbRrRkMfz.1 for pvp, Applied Force (6% Project (probably a typo and means Double Strike) damage) vs Technique Mastery (2% crit and minimal damage) is a personal preference. Also, Project isn't worth using in any Balance build, test it out for yourself.
Misdirection is so you won't need to use slow to catch targets, 15% run speed and Sever Force are enough.

As for gear stats, you need minimal crit rating although crit and power get close as you get more power in your gear.

Second one is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601McMZdZfrbRrRkMfz.1 pretty standard build.

Open for questions if I don't forgot to check on this thread now and then.

fuges
12.13.2011 , 09:08 AM | #3
Glad there is a thread for this! Look forward to seeing how the Balance Shadow works out.

GFreeGamer
12.13.2011 , 09:17 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by fuges View Post
Glad there is a thread for this! Look forward to seeing how the Balance Shadow works out.
There was a fair amount of input for this originally, so it looks like it'll work out fine. It'll be like the Watchman Sentinel, but without the same amount of damage reduction options they get, and more ranged options.

Bilirubin
12.13.2011 , 09:38 AM | #5
Been thinking of going balance shadow, so I will be watching this thread closely.

GFreeGamer
12.13.2011 , 09:39 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Been thinking of going balance shadow, so I will be watching this thread closely.
Well, until the others arrive with their builds, feel free to ask AstralFire or me if there's anything you need to know.

priest
12.13.2011 , 09:59 AM | #7
I have been trying to figure out what a good build would be. I've used some of the calculators out there and read the discussion. is it ok to post links to those here, and perhaps we could discuss the pros and cons?

Edit---I see that's been done above; I really shouldn't post without drinking my first cup of coffee
╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

zFii
12.13.2011 , 02:05 PM | #8
I'ma go ahead and favourite this page, just for reference, cookies for you my friend!

Keozon
12.13.2011 , 02:21 PM | #9
Here is the original thread, for reference.

As per the limitations, only the first three and last pages are viewable.

GFreeGamer
12.13.2011 , 02:40 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by priest View Post
I have been trying to figure out what a good build would be. I've used some of the calculators out there and read the discussion. is it ok to post links to those here, and perhaps we could discuss the pros and cons?

Edit---I see that's been done above; I really shouldn't post without drinking my first cup of coffee
Sure, we can do that. Fire away!

Quote: Originally Posted by zFii View Post
I'ma go ahead and favourite this page, just for reference, cookies for you my friend!
Thanks! Astral's thread really was the inspiration though. Once he had that thing up, more people just seemed to put up better guides.