Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Threat Drops - Why only ranged?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Threat Drops - Why only ranged?

Stigas
01.24.2012 , 01:29 PM | #1
Just wondering why Ranged are the only people to have these useful, short CD threat drops? They're in a far better position to simply Stun/CC/Slow a mob running towards them before it has a chance to gib them, whereas melee has no reaction time.

I'd like to propose that these abilities be given universally to melee.

Thanks.
S'tigas \\ Iron Citadel

AnubisXy
01.24.2012 , 01:41 PM | #2
Assassins had a threat drop in beta but it was changed from being a Sith Inquisitor skill to being a Sorcerer skill. Not sure why Bioware did that.
"He doesn't use the Force. He just uses... force."

Stigas
01.24.2012 , 01:44 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AnubisXy View Post
Assassins had a threat drop in beta but it was changed from being a Sith Inquisitor skill to being a Sorcerer skill. Not sure why Bioware did that.
The conspiracy side of me says they just hate Melee. Someone there plays a Frost Mage.
S'tigas \\ Iron Citadel

Astarica
01.24.2012 , 01:47 PM | #4
I'm guessing Bioware figures that all melee loses their threat quickly when they have to flail their arms getting to the next add/object to smash, or dodging an AE. It works out reasonably well in practice, though.

pheonixf
01.24.2012 , 02:02 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
The conspiracy side of me says they just hate Melee. Someone there plays a Frost Mage.
BW just hate melee people!! haha seriously I don't know why either. And i hate guard only has a 15 meter range. what if you have no melee in your FP? yeah that ranged guy that stands damn near the door is really helping my threat!
"using force choke on Ewoks" PRICELSS!
Guildmaster of Sith Happened -Shoii-Cho

Stigas
01.24.2012 , 02:07 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by pheonixf View Post
BW just hate melee people!! haha seriously I don't know why either. And i hate guard only has a 15 meter range. what if you have no melee in your FP? yeah that ranged guy that stands damn near the door is really helping my threat!
Actually, that makes sense. Guard for Melee, Threat drops for ranged. Guess it might even out if you're the melee getting guard.
S'tigas \\ Iron Citadel

pheonixf
01.24.2012 , 02:09 PM | #7
provided there is melee in the group! if not SOL. Ever have a range AOE happy group? Guard helps nothing!
"using force choke on Ewoks" PRICELSS!
Guildmaster of Sith Happened -Shoii-Cho

Ramsese
01.24.2012 , 03:07 PM | #8
vanish with a Force Cloak. It will drop threat if you pull aggro.

Redcoat
01.24.2012 , 05:08 PM | #9
Only melee class that doesn't have a threat reduce is Jug and powertech from what I recall.

Aethyriel
01.24.2012 , 07:47 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramsese View Post
vanish with a Force Cloak. It will drop threat if you pull aggro.
This, Vanish completely resets any threat build. The only problem with this skill might be in solo pve content, when your comp vanishes with you thus exiting the fight completely instead of just resetting your threat so your comp would tank.