Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How the pre's should have gone

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How the pre's should have gone

Noczod
01.24.2012 , 12:51 PM | #1
This is a some ideas on how I though things should have gone for the series

The story would be darker more focused on Anakins turn to the darkside. Darth Maul would have played a much larger roll in the series. Anikin would have killed Darth Maul prolly in EP.2 In an angered rage over Qui Gons death.

There would have been no trade war. GunGans would never have been heard of or brought into the series. Anikin would have turned to the darkside in his quest for power. Not out of being tricked by the emp over the love of his wife. Padme would have died after going giving birth and sending her son away to saftey and stay with the Organa and helping raise her daughter, she would not have died during child birth.

These are just some ideas I have I will post more as time goes on, I have the story in my head sometimes think about putting on paper.

EngineerDavid
01.24.2012 , 01:15 PM | #2
I just read the novel Plagueis, and must say by reading it, I much more appreciate the story of the trade war. How Palpetine and Plagueis planned every little detail to get Palpetine as Supreme Chancellor, forming the Clone Wars slowly... It kind of pulls the story of the first 3 movies straight

So yes everything you say (more Darth Maul), more Anakin and Obi-Wan bonding, and especially more info about how the Sith come to rise.

And you can keep the gungans, but make there accents dissapear, and make them a though warrior people. (Like the Wookies, but then again you can just replace them with Wookies)

I like your idea, maybe we should make a version as a community, but then again everyone would be so divided I'm afraid...

Noczod
01.24.2012 , 01:21 PM | #3
Yeah I hear you there everyone has there own ideas and spin on the story it would be very difficult to be done. I looked into the book today and am thinking about picking it up.
When it comes to the movies I just really wanted to see more of the transfomation of Anakin I dont feel like the movies touch on it enough his transformation was very jumpy.

Gungans might be keep able just would have to be changed and for sure no jar jar, I dislike the char so much I wouldnt even want to keep him if he was some bad *** warrior.

Noczod
01.24.2012 , 03:19 PM | #4
I sometimes wonder how things would have gone if Qui gon had not died in the first episode. Think things would have got diffrently.

Numberjohnnyfive
01.24.2012 , 03:50 PM | #5
I have always thought that most of the prequals problems could have been solved if anakin was older when he was found. He should have been about the same age as padme as a slave on tatooine, it makes so many of the things he does in the first movie more viable (esp. him hitting on padme, 8 yr olds dont do that), and it makes the council saying he is too old to train have more weight, an 8 yr old can still be taught new ideas and ways of life pretty easily actually, its much harder with a 13-14 year old. It also would have made the master/student dynamic between obi wan and anakin that much more akward with them being closer in age.
“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” - Han Solo

Noczod
01.24.2012 , 03:59 PM | #6
Agreed, and if when they found him he was older would have been easy to make his transformation to the dark side as well. I really didnt like innocent boy/ teenager with additude /evil man who can kill children. Were was the transformation in that.

Iralith
01.24.2012 , 04:27 PM | #7
Hm. I basically disagree with the OP, I think,. I do feel like the prequels were pretty awful, or at any rate that they managed to be clunkiest at the moments that should have been the most amazing and emotional--but the structural stuff the OP objects to is all stuff I liked, at least in itself.

Except maybe Darth Maul--I don't have strong feelings either way on him, and I do think he was neat and maybe could have held out a little longer. Mind you, I also like that the prequels featured lots of big showy villains who appeared and were taken down in quick succession, and that their quick defeats were in keeping with the basic idea of the thing: that, although they were real and scary and powerful, they were also pawns, put on the board as enemies everyone could worry about in ways that funneled power to Palpatine.

For the same reason, I kinda liked the trade war in theory.

And Anakin falling through his personal love, and his desire to make things OK on that personal level, to have what he wants . . . I think that's great. (Again, in theory; on screen, the love story featured some amazingly bad writing, acting, directing, etc.) Anakin needs to be sympathetic--a Jedi who falls, not a scheming dick. Makes his deeply horrible deeds all the more deeply horrible; articulates the idea of what a fallen Jedi is.

Padme dying in childbirth was epically cheeseball in practice, yeah. I do like the way it set up Palpatine's lie to Anakin, about him having killed her--I think it really works in the Star Wars setting to imagine bad guys who, in part, are motivated by their conviction that they are evil and irredeemable.

TheLonelyTusken
01.24.2012 , 04:34 PM | #8
Gun Guns? Anikin? Organs? Im sorry, but i cant take your revision seriously if you dont know how to spell the names of the characters, especially considering Anakin is the main character of the whole thing.

TekaruPrime
01.24.2012 , 04:48 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Numberjohnnyfive View Post
I have always thought that most of the prequals problems could have been solved if anakin was older when he was found. He should have been about the same age as padme as a slave on tatooine, it makes so many of the things he does in the first movie more viable (esp. him hitting on padme, 8 yr olds dont do that), and it makes the council saying he is too old to train have more weight, an 8 yr old can still be taught new ideas and ways of life pretty easily actually, its much harder with a 13-14 year old. It also would have made the master/student dynamic between obi wan and anakin that much more akward with them being closer in age.
totally agree. then there could have been a smaller gap between Ep1 and Ep2 which makes Palpatine's plans move faster - and makes the Jedi look less stupid for not seeing it coming.

but movie wise, too, there would be better chemistry between the actors/audience if they used the same actor for Anakin in all 3 movies. and the love-angle wouldn't have been so forced in Ep 2.

PLUS you can change Jar Jar's character to be more like someone else said about comedy relief - if Anakin had a bigger role in Ep 1. the idea of comedy relief is better tempered against a more serious or morally ambiguous character - example C3PO vs han Solo in the OT. Part of Jar Jar's problem was he wasn't really paired with anyone. If Anakin was a teenager - and a more serious/morally ambiguous teenager at that - it makes more sense to play comedy relief against that.

PLUS PLUS the separation from his mother/not being able to free the slaves would give him more resentment towards the Jedi in general and Qui Gon in specific if he were older.

Noczod
01.24.2012 , 04:57 PM | #10
In the end it comes down to what you like and what you have already played out in your mind. Some people might like these ideas others "like youself, will not. Im not mad you dont like the ideas and im sure your not mad about my ideas they just fit in the story that you have in your mind, which is really cool. I love that about star wars it just gets your imagination going.

As for some of the things you dont like about my ideas

The trade war in my mind just took away from the story I was execting. I was really expecting more of a story about Anakins turn to the darkside, and I feel that the trade war took away from this by taking up alot of time and story telling. I dont feel like they were bad ideas for the war, it explains the Clone wars the Obi wan talks about in ANH, it just was not what I had in mind for the PT. Not saying they were bad at all though. I happen to love all the movies.